Check Engine Light (2005/06 Forester)

ocarros

Sunday Drivers
Hi, 1st post everyone. I've a 2.5 Xten Forester 06 model year but 05 reg. The CEL has come on (it's come on before) and my own cheap diagnostic reader says no error. Again, happened before. Is there anyway I can reset the ecu myself without having to take to a garage? Thanks.

take the red cap terminal off the battery. Leave it off for 10 min. If the light comes back on then there is a current fault.

I'll try that - thanks!* The light comes on every once in a while (last time was about 18 months ago) and is related to the secondary air unit i think it's called? I've had it checked out before when the CEL came on and there was no code showing. Not on my cheap reader nor the garage reader.* I just don't know how to reset the CEL without the expense of going to a garage. I imported the car from the UK and the previous owner had replaced the secondary air unit three times... I'm thinking its more of a sensor issue. If the light comes back on again then i know i've to get it checked out but if it stays off - jobs a good un.

I'll try that - thanks!* The light comes on every once in a while (last time was about 18 months ago) and is related to the secondary air unit i think it's called? I've had it checked out before when the CEL came on and there was no code showing. Not on my cheap reader nor the garage reader.* I just don't know how to reset the CEL without the expense of going to a garage. I imported the car from the UK and the previous owner had replaced the secondary air unit three times... I'm thinking its more of a sensor issue. If the light comes back on again then i know i've to get it checked out but if it stays off - jobs a good un.
Best to plug in see code history. As in no point assuming its a past code. Could be a new seperate code altogether.

Where are you based.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

South county Limerick.

I had the engine rebuilt a year ago. Would the ecu still retain a code history? Last time CEL came on I got a garage to check for the code. There was no code to be read

South county Limerick.

I had the engine rebuilt a year ago. Would the ecu still retain a code history? Last time CEL came on I got a garage to check for the code. There was no code to be read
Yes code stay stored. If using some diagnostic units that are more focused on european motors. Then may not read. But again. No point assuming a code.

As far as I remember, VAS5054 (VAG diagnostic software)+laptop+OBDII did a better job reading subaru fault codes that e.g. Torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I remember, VAS5054 (VAG diagnostic software)+laptop+OBDII did a better job reading subaru fault codes that e.g. Torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then/Vs ?

davelegacy[emoji769 said:
;588065]Then/Vs ?

Translate into plain English, please.
I am not familiar with morse code [emoji38]

Update. Went to my mechanic today who plugged in his laptop. No code showed up... he reset ecu and all now fine

Mechanic told me that disconnecting battery won't reset ecu because capicitors retain enough of a charge that they can remember there was an error for months

Back