intake mods

Steo800

Bought my first subaru a few months back so have been doing a lot of reading and learning about them.

Looking to find out if certain intake mods are worth it or not as I cannot find solid enough info/opinions
about the results.

Car is a jap import 2002 bug wagon sti.

First one is turbo inlet pipe. Are the aftermarket ones(Samco, Perrin, decent brands etc.) capable of unlocking some ponies over the standard plastic one? I have no issue with current pipe but would be happy to reduce any restriction into turbo compressor as it does look a pretty small diameter. Turbo is Vf30.

Second is inlet manifold riser/tgv body. I am aware I do not have tgv fitted to my car but from what I can gather there is room for improvement by cutting out a shelf that is is sat inside each of the bodies. Bit of cutting, grinding and smoothing would remove this, but am I write in saying there is a restriction there in the first place or is my info wrong?

I understand the "gains" here are minimal but as I would probably remove the manifold to do either, I might aswell do both. Unless I'm completely off the mark?

If I went ahead with this, I've also read there was a bit of an issue with a fuel pipe leaking during cold wether, fixed by fitting a slightly longer bit of rubber pipe. Might aswell do this while in there also.

I plan on 3" exhaust turbo back, panel filter, fuel pump, 3 port boost solenoid and remap with octane booster at the end so all mods will be made the most off.

What does yous think or have experience with?

Cheers!

If it was early am it was probably me, not during the day tough ????????

Buying some would be an option but not sure it would be worth the €'s as I'm willing to do the cutting myself on the standard ones. Will keep an eye out though ????????

Pop up a few pics of the wagon man. Can't say I've seen an sti wagon before lol welcome along too ????

Welcome along :thumbsup: is it that nice silver 1 that was for sale with the low milage below in Galway a while back

Yea that's the one from Galway. Know much about it?

Happy so far with it. Bit dirty at moment ????

Anyone got any thoughts on the intake mods as above?

Lot of lads say cosworth filter and stock airbox is good to 400bhp.

If you want more noise Roger Clarke Motorsport induction kit is the way to go, but not cheap. If you go with this you should consider a remap.

Cheap induction kits will eat through your maf so dont bother.

Thanks lads but it still doesn't answer the questions I'm asking. Like I said in first post, cannot get definitive info on turbo inlet pipe and removing tgv shelf from subaru "non" tgv body.

No, aftermarket intake pipe won’t be as good as your Sti factory fitted 1 and won’t give you any more power �� regarding the tumbler mod yes you can port/grind some of it away but your talking very little if any gain , a small bit better flow but it’s not really worth the hassle to remove and refit the inlet :thumbsup:

Intake pipe is a waste of money , factory one is perfect unless you’re changing to a turbo with a 76mm inlet

Assume the silver one from Galway.

No. All pointless mods and advise against.

Zero gains.

Intake pipe. Leave factory alone.

TGV units are already as said. Black and not there.

Thermal Risers. If heading 500bhp or track only car and had manifold off anyway for a build say. Then upto to the person at the time. But certainly waste time in road car.

Advise not to modify unless planning on mapping for mods.

So parts like decat exhaust. Gather. But do not fit until map time.

Factory airbox and factory recirc (dump) valve is perfectly fine left well alone for power aspects. RCM induction kit if want some noise etc.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yea silver one from Galway

That's 3 votes against so, I'll leave intake alone for the moment.

Whatever about getting power from the turbo inlet pipe, I'm sure there's a few hp to be found with grinding out or replacing the tgv body with an aftermarket one, but will only go further with this if I ever need to remove manifold.

Might take out this intake resonator I've read of and have a look at it, see if there is any beneficial gain to be had there.

Cheers for the replies everyone!

Yea silver one from Galway

That's 3 votes against so, I'll leave intake alone for the moment.

Whatever about getting power from the turbo inlet pipe, I'm sure there's a few hp to be found with grinding out or replacing the tgv body with an aftermarket one, but will only go further with this if I ever need to remove manifold.

Might take out this intake resonator I've read of and have a look at it, see if there is any beneficial gain to be had there.

Cheers for the replies everyone!
On totally wrong path in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Opinion, drop the car to Dave (RSR Automotive)
Tell him the figure your hoping for
Drive away happy when it's done lol

Leave the standard engine bay alone including resonator delete kit your only wasting money, if your looking to spend money Give the car a good service, Plugs, oil , filters, Gearbox and diff oils , pads and discs and enjoy :thumbsup:.

Get the car on a Dyno and have it checked and see then does something need to be addressed . Is it down on power ?

Back