New performance car

5 seatbelts and a boot :icon_grin: Is all you need . Ye I know what you mean tad but going bigger just means m5 rs4 rs6 all crazy money So it’s a happy balance when you need 3 rear seats . Otherwise it would be an r35 or a Porsche

40k new here after 3 years I’d say trade in would be 17/20 . The 5k depreciation Rule is still there :icon_grin:. That car could work in 3/4 years time secondhand when there 15/20 k :thumbsup:

37k be very lucky to get 20k in 3 years time for it and the seat badge will make it a slow seller

if you can find one , petrol vrs . 245 model . big car inside for growing family .

tax is ok
depreciation might be borderline and slightly higher than your budget pricewise at the moment but might be doable in UK and bring back .

even in diesel there not slow . 3 year old one is well in budget plus manufacturers warranty is up so can be mapped to over 200 easily

Ticks all box’s but 1 , depreciation, great car but that year car 2014/2016 will drop faster that you can repay it . 35k becomes 20k in 3 years. 2016 car here 20+ vrt =24/ 26k after 3 years be worth 10/12 .

i need a car that stoped depreciating after a certain length of time or slows down to a reasonable . All new cars are worth half there price after 3 years :facepalm: Performance and expensive ones even more so . I’m trying to avoid that but not doing very well

No doesn’t have to be big or expensive but it has to be newer than 2008 If it didn’t I wouldn’t be buying that it would be a red legacy wagon with the 2.1

Nice list John :thumbsup: bmw and audi are the best of them but because there new have a long way to slide . Your still looking at a 15/20k hit in 3/4 years . I’m trying to avoid that . Subaru tax at 2350 is killing them .

Golf R probably best all round package between performance, economy, depreciation etc...
As for looks... I totally get what you are saying Joe, and would need to be addressed - that said, if looks could be sorted than the rest of the "value proposition" works well... Have a look at some of the top end after market body kits etc... to help differentiate "your" R. The official VAG tuner ABT (abroad can be bought through the dealerships) has loads of (expensive) tasty upgrades http://www.abt-configurator.com/en/VW/Golf VII R/Limousine/5G0/20TSI300

Another interesting option I personally like is the Volvo Polestar editions (older Volvo R cars were very good value like V70R etc). Yes, there are better cars out there in that segment; however, a Polestar is rare - very rare... probably not another one in this country. Looks good, is fast enough to be enjoyable, plenty space and deffo "left-of-field". EXAMPLE. The "only" problem are the emissions 237g CO2 - so stupid tax an issue again which rules it out, but at least it is something a bit different.

Mazda3 MPS another interesting choice. Yes CO2 will put it in the €1200/yr tax, but... some very good value due to previous high depreciation now making these a bit of a bargain with low depreciation going forward that can be off-set against the extra tax - so annual cost still well within budget when all is said and done. Example ONE and TWO. Need the model with the bonnet vent though as tax lower on that than the previous non-vent model (1200 vs 2350 tax).

RS3 with the five-pot will have a nice sound of it and CO2 only 189g so reasonable tax. They do look better than Golf R and again ABT do some nice "official" bits for them. 2012-2015 cars is where the value is in the UK with cars @ 35-50% of the new price, so depreciation should just about fall into the max 5k/yr bracket from here on in or less if kept longer than 3-4 years. It will be a rare car on Irish roads (unlike the Golf R) due to its new price and would expect it to hold on to value pretty well due to rarity and longer term desirability of RS models. Here's two examples ONE and TWO.

Happy hunting mate.

I think your looking for a unicorn in a field of pieball ponies Joe.

the greens ****ed it up with ff in 2008 and we can't get around it .
the thing with a golf r or simular is they are small inside , not a problem for a man of your stature but add the wife and kids and you will need a trailer for the associated gear they bring everywhere .so hatch backs are out imo ,

there is nothing out there that will tick all the boxes , I discovered this when we were looking in 2016 and the vrs was the best compromise, the depreciation is the big one here but we said we'll drive it until the wheels fall off so won't bother us .

it's just a sea of nondescript suv things out there for the family wagon now

Oh, one more I forgot... great cars to drive and now good value too.

MINI JCW John Cooper Works (mind there are a lot of Cooper S out there with JCW "kit" which is cosmetic and without the power, LSD, bigger brakes etc)... Originally only available in 3 door, but... can be got in "Clubman version with reasonable boot and rear door... and the newer version with the 231bhp 2.0 engine comes in full 5 door and awd.

2010 JCW Clubman

2017 JCW 5dr awd

2017 JCW 5dr auto (nice pics)

You will be doing very well Joe to find something from 08 on that won’t loose its bol1x over 3 years.
All the older 4 door stuff is gaining value every day, shame it has to be 2008 and up.

Alfa Romeo Giulia is a rare one. Tax is only €280. Not sure how much they will be in a few years though.
66303dc4294838be93400e564135b0ef.jpg

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Nearly everything 08 has still 5k to loose. Be hard got I think cut your budget maybe.
Something nice expensive with loads lost already. Has much is and rs4 estate these days.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How about St focus, loads of space in wagon form,
Otherwise another shout for the octavia, I had similar issues trying to find something to replace legacy, I needed fast and practical and petrol and I'm really happy with octavia, buckets of room

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180216-203749.png
    Screenshot_20180216-203749.png
    600.7 KB · Views: 48
Mate has a 161 of these some yoke to go and handle and fair comfy don’t know about depreciation wouldn’t say the place is flooded with them
€700 tax and good on juice
https://www.donedeal.ie/view/17548087 Audi SQ5 V6 Diesel Twin Turbo 313 Horsepower

Last edited:
Back