a few tips on passing nct please, legacy

gttjohn

Sunday Drivers
hi guys i have a jdm legacy bl5 year 2005 it is realy clean normaly with a car this clean i wouldnt be worried on it passing the nct but for some reason im feeling its going to fail on emissions as the last two jdm cars failed

it is bog standard apart from cat back exhaust and a remap by angus for irish fuel the front knocks slightly when i go over the plastic speed bumps i know that's something to do with the front struts and grease or something drying up inside common ive heard anyway would you put additive into the fuel to pass the emissions test or just leave it

also i have 4 exhaust pipes sticking out of the back so when they put the exhaust prob in will it read wrong cause it comes standard with two exhausts and finally would you leave it on eco mode or standard sport mode (legacy bl5 have a eco button that lowers the boost to save fuel ) sorry for all the questions but i love my car and hate feckin nct

Best advice stick it through see how she goes no point in trying to fix things they might not fail it on

Does it have it's cat in place if so don't see why I would fail on emmissions..

Don't bother with diptane unless it's will fail might be something to consider

To put your mind at rest mine maped by ahongus too and on 200 cell sports cat and passes every year first time no bother

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also they don't rev it much so boost shouldn't matter but if leave it in standard should be fine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Totally agree with Ciaran here, re-test is only 28 yoyos, just drive her in, let them tell you whats wrong and then fix it. No point fixing stuff that doesnt need fixing(unless you are planning on fixing it anyways).

Id go to check emmissions with somebody if you are worried that it will fail I used rokas autos in greenogue, rathcoole he had put new cat in it for me and didnt charge a fortune :thumbsup:

Classic sti btw so slightly older

thanks lads i just freek out every time an nct comes around ,funny thing is the advice you guys just gave me is probably what ide say to someone else ,righto thats what ill do thanks a million

I had a Saab 93 aero that i put quad exhausts on, standart cats still in it. Lads in the nct were scratching their heads a good bit trying to get emmissions to read but it passed anyway. With shockingly low emmissions haha

Check your lights. Always when lm sure l will pass and they will find a burned light bulb :54:

No no no no you all forgetting the €50 sticking out of ashtray come on he needs good advice [emoji23][emoji23]

Give it a clean stick it through see what comes of it nice clean car like that I don't think you need to worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It flew through the test not one advisery emisions
Super low I'm delighted thanks for the suggestions it must have been the 50euro note sticking out of the center console ,nice one gar) ????

Nice one always a relief to pass another year to enjoy car [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well done

i hate those two minutes you wait while the tester finishes ,heads back into office and calls you over . while you pray in your head that the piece of paper in hus hand is a cert and not a list of to-do's

congrats , now post a pic of your lovely lookin red car

its a lovely shade of dark grey i didn't wash it in about 3 weeks ,jesus my hart anyway next is the insurance in may have to see how much them thieves charge ,i dont want to start off a rant abput insurance quots but ,,,DAN DAN DAN ,,

my wifes qashqai is 500ish to insure brakes are not fantastic but do the job has front wheel drive handles like a top heavy boat on a lake and does not have adequate power to overtake on the motorway the lights are not great in the dark her mpg is 27-35

my subaru is 750 to insure the brembo pads have amazing stopping power ,has 4 wheel drive and sticks to the road in all weather
has comfortable overtaking power on the motorway and the xenon lights are brilliant in the night ,has reinforced rear doors to protect rear passengers airbags are everywhere mine is 150 mpg and its much more appealing to the eye

the speed limit applies to both vehicles as do laws basicly insurance is pain but im delighted i passed my nct yay rant over

well done

i hate those two minutes you wait while the tester finishes ,heads back into office and calls you over . while you pray in your head that the piece of paper in hus hand is a cert and not a list of to-do's

congrats , now post a pic of your lovely lookin red car

yeah its like the friggin x factor ,waiting on the judges to tell you if your through or not :)

Congrats. There you goes to show that nct is a lottery :facepalm:

This is too true! Had a cheap run about for a while. Threw it into the test, awful knock out of the back, anti roll bar bushes were fecked, drop links needed doing and I found a few other bits that should have been replaced. Put it through the test without doing any work and it went straight through.
Had a bimmer that I minded like a baby, failed on "rusted brake lines", checked them out, no rust to be found retested it and went through with no problem second time around

wow that's terrible ,,,well i mean im glad you passed but terrible that you couldn't find any rust on the brake lines and they said that was a fail reason i'd love to legally challenge that ,my father in law had to change his brake lines to pass a while back maby they needed it but after reading your nct story maby they didn't need it ,, its so annoying i had to sell an er34 skyline because it couldn't pass the nct on the second attempt i had it remapped with a new 02 sensor and i welded two catalytic converters together and it failed by very similar emission values

and they wouldn't let an s 14 silvia pass for me either no matter how hard i tried ,if i didnt know better it looks like the government dont want them on our roads anymore

Back