Irish Subaru Drivers Club Forum - Powered by vBulletin

#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typical mods and expectations?

Thanks
    Rides

Typical mods and expectations?

Right lads, all my reading and info I've gathered over the past three years has been twin turbo related, so basically, would it be the case that the typical upgrades and expectations on the WRX be...

Good intake
    Good cat back
    Fuel pump
    Remap

From what I've read this should see about 260bhp or so, would that be correct?

I'll be getting a few silicone intake hoses and intercooler hoses for a less restrictive air flow too, and I'd say a zerosports intake elbow.
    Just so I have an idea in my head going forward lol

Member Number 2766
    ISDC Club Treasurer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,486 Posts
    Rides
    Ciaran wrx will anser this but yes 260/280 with the right mods
    colin, richard, bertie, frank, gone but not forgotten.

Peter marks account Reopened in Style!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysub For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018)

Member Number 161
    Full ISDC Members 2015
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,963 Posts
    Rides
    I was advised on a k&n pannle filter in the oe air box
    IT TOOK ME FOOKING 3 YEARS TO WORK OUT HOW TO PUT THIS SMALL BIT OF TEXT HERE!!!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith dublin For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018), GORDON GT SERIES II (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Rides
    Yeah the stock air box is good to 300bhp they say, but you can't beat that induction noise lol
    Any good panel filter would be recommended, cosworth, green, blitz etc... there is a small grunt off them, but nothing to an exposed filter.
    I'd say a properly enclosed cone filter would be just as capable of shielding the hot air away, open to correction there tho lol

Thanks
    Thanked 3,902 Times in 2,237 Posts
    Rides
    Alright Eoin

Oem airbox be best use Cosworth panel the last few year's myself.

wouldn't bother with aftermarket personally but Rcm do lovely one sounds great

I've a mate in uk works in remap mod and sales place and couldn't get a bug wrx above 290 on rolling road with few mods and stuck in cheapo panel and hit 300 on next run would make u think even the free flowing Cosworth ect are more restrictive than oem ones

A good map should see 240 250bhp on 95 fuel but hard to know as fuel not great quality these days

Fuel pump upgrade not needed at this level either.

Good Map will make car far more responsive and should see a decent improvement in mpg too but mostly will have it running safe

Standard Td04 will give good low to medium response too after map

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran WRX For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Rides
    Deadly stuff man. Thanks a million 👍

So possibly, in short gist of things, stock air box with cat back and map should see that 240 / 250 bhp yeah?

What would be your opinion on the hoses and all that, samco turbo inlet hose for example, those be safe enough to run without a remap?
    Any benefit to getting them mapped in tandem with intake and exhaust?

That's the thing about the WRX, the legacy had the "nutty mod" meaning you got .9 bar both primary and secondary, but that was more or less it. People don't like mapping them and can never get massive increases.
    WRX seems to get stronger with everything lol

Also, one more point while I'm ranting lol
    I'm not sure of the brand on the BOV, so I'm not sure whether or not to keep it.
    Let's say, worst case scenario it was one of them cheap ones on eBay for €20 or something, what kinda damage would that do in comparison to a Blitz, Forge, HKS etc..
    Would I be better off to get a branded one?

Thanks
    Rides
    Yea WRX stock boost 0.8

Stock airbox defo

Oem recirc valve defo instead of aftermarket be my shout Forge good quality out of branded ones defo don't get ebay ones as will leak boost

Wouldn't do a Turbo inlet without map

Best advice get what ever bits you plan on getting then remap once did mine in stages and it's more expensive

My opinion be good rubber when needed like F1s good pads like ds2500 Eibach (black springs) and a map nice balance if you get me

You coming up for track day 13th July best place to get to know your car in a safe environment..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran WRX For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018)

Full ISDC Club Member
    Thanks
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoinmack View Post
    Yeah the stock air box is good to 300bhp they say, but you can't beat that induction noise lol
    Any good panel filter would be recommended, cosworth, green, blitz etc... there is a small grunt off them, but nothing to an exposed filter.
    I'd say a properly enclosed cone filter would be just as capable of shielding the hot air away, open to correction there tho lol
    I'm well in the 400s and still on the oem stock airbox.
    No need for cone filters
    Had a turbo, WRX , STI , 2 WR1s and a legacy B4
    What's left?........Litchfield T25

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tractorman For This Useful Post:

Ciaran WRX (12-02-2018), Eoinmack (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 619 Posts
    Rides
    On hoses I would keep original and not bother with silicone ones on less really want them a lot silicone sets don't fit great from what I hear. And as for air filter I have a k/n panel filter in at moment that I cleaned and oiled when got car. ordered a few bits last week from scooby parts got another one think it was about €60 well worth it for what it does although cone one will give more sound out of it Dave sleggy has one in his bug says some sound out of it I'd keep stuff original stand to car better less hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary sti For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018)

Full ISDC Club Member
    Thanks
    Rides
    Looking at your car eoin that cone is sucking a load of heat , also I have put my car through test with airbag light on and no notice taken

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kerry sti For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Rides
    Yeah I might just return it back to stock so altogether.
    It's true in fairness, it is in a warm engine bay, and absolutely no cold air feed or shield.

That's actually a very good shout too about getting remapped once.
    I might stockpile a few bits and put em in all at once.
    Focus on cosmetics for a while lol
    It's good to have an idea of where to go. Loads of options open to me all of a sudden 😂
    Cheers for the input lads, great help 👍

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eoinmack For This Useful Post:

Ciaran WRX (11-02-2018), Gary sti (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Rides
    Honestly, the second cat after the turbo is the biggest restriction for WRX. Get either high flow cat or decat to see the biggest increase in HP.

I got 260hp with my bug where I only got decatted downpipe and remap. If you keep the stock catalyst, sure some adjustment in map can be made for up to 240, I wouldnt expect more than that with our petrol.

As mentioned above, stock intake is well capable up to 350hp and maybe even more. No need to spend any money there, and defo avoid oil based filters, as they fcuk with MAF sensor.

To get the most from mapping money(400e) keep buying stuff without installing it, and when you are ready, then install them all at once and drive to remap asap.

As Ciaran said, fuel pump is good enough up to 280hp and basically you will see the need getting bigger injectors before pump. Best of course, getting both.

From my previous experience, you have 2 options.

Highflow cat/decat
    remap
    ______
    260hp

better turbo(either small with ball bearings or larger one)
    injectors
    fuel pump
    3port boost silenoid(optional on previous setup)

Stage 1 exedy clutch is good up to 340hp, so you should be fine on that front as well for a while.

remember, that with changing to bigger turbo, characteristics of the car and engine will change. Bigger turbo takes longer to spool, and might not be as good for 'ass dyno' as small fast turbo, that gives proper push, even though its short.

Also, subaru engines are generally known for not liking high revs, so having huge turbo that will start spooling at 4000rpm and give you peak at 7000rpm isnt ideal on stock internals. With that in mind, I would try focusing on the sweet range of 3500-5500rpm to get the full boost
    Last edited by Zheiko; 11-02-2018 at 21:20.
    He has the right to have and share his opinion. The fact that his opinion differs from reality, is however irrelevant.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Zheiko For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 757 Posts
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zheiko View Post
    Honestly, the second cat after the turbo is the biggest restriction for WRX. Get either high flow cat or decat to see the biggest increase in HP.

I got 260hp with my bug where I only got decatted downpipe and remap. If you keep the stock catalyst, sure some adjustment in map can be made for up to 240, I wouldnt expect more than that with our petrol.

As mentioned above, stock intake is well capable up to 350hp and maybe even more. No need to spend any money there, and defo avoid oil based filters, as they fcuk with MAF sensor.

To get the most from mapping money(400e) keep buying stuff without installing it, and when you are ready, then install them all at once and drive to remap asap.

As Ciaran said, fuel pump is good enough up to 280hp and basically you will see the need getting bigger injectors before pump. Best of course, getting both.

From my previous experience, you have 2 options.

Highflow cat/decat
    remap
    ______
    260hp

better turbo(either small with ball bearings or larger one)
    injectors
    fuel pump
    3port boost silenoid(optional on previous setup)

Stage 1 exedy clutch is good up to 340hp, so you should be fine on that front as well for a while.

remember, that with changing to bigger turbo, characteristics of the car and engine will change. Bigger turbo takes longer to spool, and might not be as good for 'ass dyno' as small fast turbo, that gives proper push, even though its short.

Also, subaru engines are generally known for not liking high revs, so having huge turbo that will start spooling at 4000rpm and give you peak at 7000rpm isnt ideal on stock internals. With that in mind, I would try focusing on the sweet range of 3500-5500rpm to get the full boost

Agree with everything you said with exception of oil based air filters ****ing up mafs.

Never had any issue with k and n filters over the years and used them on over 10 different subarus

the problem isn't the filter it is the person using too much oil when 're oiling them, for that reason I used to buy a new one instead of 're oiling one.
    Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R -Version 4 V Limited

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pedro555 For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (11-02-2018), Gary sti (11-02-2018), keith dublin (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Rides
    yea, you might be right, I personally did have my share of CEL which disappeared after cleaning maf sensor and replacing back to paper filter, but as you say, it may just been wrongly (over)oiled.
    He has the right to have and share his opinion. The fact that his opinion differs from reality, is however irrelevant.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Zheiko For This Useful Post:

Pedro555 (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    Rides
    That's quite a breakdown man!
    Deffo adding a sports cat to the list then as well, didn't realise OEM was that restrictive at all!

I'd be happy enough with anything around the 260bhp anyway, so I doubt I'd be going the route of bigger turbo or anything like that, but definitely handy information there.

Seems to be the same general consensus so about the basics, airflow etc. So I reckon I'll just stick with everything air related and make it all free flowing from filter to muffler (induction, downpipe, cat back etc) get it mapped and that should do it.

We won't get into the brand debate here lol
    But in fairness, I had a oiled K&N cone filter too in the legacy, and never had a days bother with MAF either. Cleaned it every second service, never heavily oiled it and it was grand. I'd imagine it went slightly to the under-oiled side but better safe than sorry lol

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eoinmack For This Useful Post:

Pedro555 (12-02-2018), Zheiko (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    Rides
    Also forgot to mention, on WRXes(not sure if on all of them) there is another catalyst on uppipe to the turbo. Quite literally everyone goes for the STI uppipe, as that one doesnt have the catalyst in them, it will not affect your NCT, but will sure help a bit with faster spooling turbo.

I had mine already swapped when I got the car, so I didnt need to worry about it, but you may wanna check that too:)

Thanks
    Rides
    Cosworth panel requires no oiling get that one

Sports cats can be expensive mod new hence why alot don't bother and go de cat but have additional hassle swaping back cat at every nct

They are rare second hand (that work) (Prodrive ones good brand) do pop sometimes up oem cat 700 cell and good sports cat that will still pass nct 200 cell anything lower than this e.g. 100 cell won't pass here but does in uk (Cell num refers to how restrictive cat is)

Cat mentioned above is Pre cat can be removed and replaced with Sti up pipe and is a good idea for general maintenance in wrx as when then break up the cat makes a mess of your turbo also less restrictive

Second hand sti one from breakers be perfect

My advice

Cosworth panel Oem Airbox
    Second hand sti pipe (to replace pre cat)
    Oem Re Circ valve
    Mabay new backbox if more rumble required
    Good service
    Map

And enjoy car it's very easy to get carried away on mods

Last edited by Ciaran WRX; 12-02-2018 at 07:31.

Thanks
    Rides
    Here is some more reading for ya!

http://www.isdc.ie/forum/showthread....l+upgrade+path

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bang For This Useful Post:

Eoinmack (12-02-2018), Zheiko (12-02-2018)

Octane Boostaholics
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Rides
    Ah the modding bug

Imo good pannel filter and straight through turbo back ss system, map her and happy days

Octane Boostaholics
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dontommy View Post
    Ah the modding bug

Imo good pannel filter and straight through turbo back ss system, map her and happy days
    Edit: of course keep in mind that brakes and suspension upgrades should come first and you may get more dramatic change than a few ponies. Specially where you live

34. The Following User Says Thank You to dontommy For This Useful Post:

Zheiko (12-02-2018)