Bore gauge

Tad

Petrolheads
Hi all, bore gauge needed for weekend if anyone could help, dublin preferably can travel around only need it for a day really. Thanks

Can be expensive kit, be lucky getting a lend. Better option might be take it to an engineering shop and ask them to check it for you. Howard's in engineering have always been sound to deal with in my experience.

Can get one for you but would need it back next day if any good

You are a bit far seanie :icon_grin: but thanks
I only need to measure conrods for wear to see if I need std bearings or oversized more likely std will do
Had brand new crank bought and bearing kit, clearances to big on crank mains so have to go , 025 bigger the supplier said he will take bearings back and order the right ones and said measure rods for wear before I unpack the big ends in case I need oversized again
Got a micrometer here will see if that will work

Last edited:
Can be expensive kit, be lucky getting a lend. Better option might be take it to an engineering shop and ask them to check it for you. Howard's in engineering have always been sound to deal with in my experience.

Dealt with them aswell and all was good might pop down to them if it wont work out

You are a bit far seanie :icon_grin: but thanks
I only need to measure conrods for wear to see if I need std bearings or oversized more likely std will do
Had brand new crank bought and bearing kit, clearances to big on crank mains so have to go , 025 bigger the supplier said he will take bearings back and order the right ones and said measure rods for wear before I unpack the big ends in case I need oversized again
Got a micrometer here will see if that will work

Conrods don’t wear unless bearings completely failed, more likely that crank pins would wear, you want to measure crank pins with vernier in a couple of places and then measure run out with dial gauge.
If using new crank you will not have a problem.
Oversized bearings have smaller internal diameter to replace the wear in the crank not bigger outside diameter for block or conrod wear.

Conrods don’t wear unless bearings completely failed, more likely that crank pins would wear, you want to measure crank pins with vernier in a couple of places and then measure run out with dial gauge.
If using new crank you will not have a problem.
Oversized bearings have smaller internal diameter to replace the wear in the crank not bigger outside diameter for block or conrod wear.

Crank is new, rods are used k1 tech, measured them and they are all 54,75 to 54,80 they should be 55,00 checked the website for them

I don't claim to know much about engine building but clearances are probley the most important part of the build . Were them rods used before on your build that failed ,

To echo the above, with the time and money you've spent already, I'd buy new rods if it were me. Or a used set from someone like Ali.

No Joe they came out of a block with detonation damage on piston, apparently there's only 10k km on them visually they look perfect I know it probably means nothing

Yes, should be 55,00 from factory

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
I assume you took measurements at more than one location to confirm conrod bore is not oval, if so...
If your measurements are correct then your conrods did not wear they have grown as the inside diameter is smaller than standard??
If your measurements are correct then you need undersized bearings which don’t exist as far as I know.

In my opinion your measurements may be out a smidge or there is a tolerance allowed.

In general conrods do not wear if bearings are in tact, they bend,twist or break.

If anything has happened the conrod journal/ crank pin may have worn, check journal taper/ovality with vernier and check shaft runout with dial gauge, if within tolerance fit conrods and bearings and use platiguage to measure oil clearance.

Last edited:
I assume you took measurements at more than one location to confirm conrod bore is not oval, if so...
If your measurements are correct then your conrods did not wear they have grown as the inside diameter is smaller than standard??
If your measurements are correct then you need undersized bearings which don’t exist as far as I know.

In my opinion your measurements may be out a smidge or there is a tolerance allowed.

In general conrods do not wear if bearings are in tact, they bend,twist or break.

If anything has happened the conrod journal/ crank pin may have worn, check journal taper/ovality with vernier and check shaft runout with dial gauge, if within tolerance fit conrods and bearings and use platiguage to measure oil clearance.

Sorry you are right, which is probably not possible? It hardly the vernier is not up to the task..

Took few measurements from front,back, up, down, criss cross etc, but I think to measure correctly its from mid of cap towards centre of rod anyway measurements pretty much all the same for all rod bores 54,75 to 54.80 no more or less and I went to check K1 technologies website for the rods and it states that the housing bore is 55.00 with +/- 0.00254 tolerance

Will probably be the best to unpack the big end bearings and measure clearances with plasti gauge and see from there..

Sorry you are right, which is probably not possible? It hardly the vernier is not up to the task..

Took few measurements from front,back, up, down, criss cross etc, but I think to measure correctly its from mid of cap towards centre of rod anyway measurements pretty much all the same for all rod bores 54,75 to 54.80 no more or less and I went to check K1 technologies website for the rods and it states that the housing bore is 55.00 with +/- 0.00254 tolerance

Will probably be the best to unpack the big end bearings and measure clearances with plasti gauge and see from there..

Also don’t know what verniers you are using but the standard digital ones you buy in Aldi or elsewhere although very accurate have tolerance of +/- 0.02mm and resolution of 0.01mm so even if 100% working you could still be at 54.78mm and 54.83mm, your getting closer!
In my opinion if your original big end bearings were in reasonable condition I would say there is nothing wrong with the big end of your conrods, the bearings are designed from softer material to wear before the crank and big end.

Last edited:
Also don’t know what verniers you are using but the standard digital ones you buy in Aldi or elsewhere although very accurate have tolerance of +/- 0.02mm and resolution of 0.01mm so even if 100% working you could still be at 54.78mm and 54.83mm, your getting closer!
In my opinion if your original big end bearings were in reasonable condition I would say there is nothing wrong with the big end of your conrods, the bearings are designed from softer material to wear before the crank and big end.

Thanks for the help seanie

Back