Swapping crown wheels

Fozzy

Petrolheads
Ok, so I opened up the rear diff on the ratmobile and found that it’s not a 4.44 despite the whole interweb telling me it would be - it’s actually a 4.11 (37:9 on the crownwheel) I need a 4.44 - my own crownwheel is good it’s the pinion that’s failing so, does anyone know is I can just swap the crown wheels and, if so, is it relatively easy to do or ballache? As the housing is identical and as the 4.44 is a 39:9, I’m assuming the crown wheels will be the same diameters and the pinions will be the same also, will I require new seals, o-rings, gaskets etc?

Thanks in advance

Crown wheel will fit but it needs to match the final drive in the gearbox otherwise you will break the center diff . You match the rear diff to the gearbox .

Crown wheel will fit but it needs to match the final drive in the gearbox otherwise you will break the center diff . You match the rear diff to the gearbox .

Cheers man - diff in my car is 4.44 crown wheel good but pinion is bad. Spare diff is 4.11 all good so I’ll take my crown wheel out and swap it with the other making the 4.11 into a 4.44 which is what I need

I get you now sorry .
I’ve done that before and it’s worked , just make sure you get the back lash checked before refitting otherwise it will be noisey and wear prematurely

Back