Trailers

MARTINGTI

Octane Boostaholics
Just wondering does anyone on here make trailers? Id love to get a nice handy twin Axel car transporter made up for the celica. Just the exact size of it. All id want on it are lights and brakes. I could even paint it myself etc... Just said id throw it out there. Might be a nice job in the evenings for someone. January is a slow month!

I built my own Martin and I’m no prize welder! It does exactly what I need and just the right size for Saxo. I think you should give it a shot[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built my own Martin and I’m no prize welder! It does exactly what I need and just the right size for Saxo. I think you should give it a shot[emoji106]

Jesus I would love to but iv never done any welding! But ya something like that is exactly what I want. Nice and tidy, just the size of the Celica. Even if I could get someone to cut and weld the frame and fit the axels to it id be happy to paint it and fit the lights etc myself. I have a good contact in a large breakers too so I should have no bother getting the two axels either. Once im told what to get! lol

I used ford Transit axels but had to cut them and make them wider. They are heavy but good load bearing on them. If I had the room I’d do it for you no problem but my garage is full at the moment. If you do go at it I’ll give you any info I have from mine[emoji106]

I'm going to say something here as Iv see it loads of time before .

Minimum price that it's going to cost you to make that trailer is 500 Euros will cost closer to 800 -1000 euros . Trying to sell it 2 years down the road will be impossible unless it's for 200-300

my advice and I know there big money is buy a Brian James trailer the go for between 1500-1900 but in 3-5-10 years time there still worth that money and they always sell :thumbsup: Just my advice

Minimum price that it's going to cost you to make that trailer is 500 Euros will cost closer to 800 -1000 euros . Trying to sell it 2 years down the road will be impossible unless it's for 200-300

my advice and I know there big money is buy a Brian James trailer the go for between 1500-1900 but in 3-5-10 years time there still worth that money and they always sell :thumbsup: Just my advice

Good advice [emoji106]
Wasn’t an option for me with a racing season taking all my money but eventually I’ll go down that road. Mine is just a temporary measure

I had a homemade trailer for 10 years, when traffic core starting talking of checking that trailers are are made by licensed companies and have a chassis number, plated for correct gross weight it can carry etc. i bought a Fountain trailer (same as Brian James).
€1500 bought it however another grand spent of mudguards, lights, new hubs and brakes.
Lot of value out there for proper trailers at the minute but before you spend you would want to be sure with insurance company etc. that its all legit. In saying that i still don't have a trailer licence!

F40 trailers and toughmac trailers are small companies that do them that offer value for new ones.

I know exactly what your saying joe. And that's the way id be thinking myself. But a bit like Adrian just said i just cant spend that much at the minute. Few years down the road ya, id absolutely buy a nice Brian James etc. But for the next few years i need a cheap alternative. If used the A frame for the last two years, while it wouldn't be 100% legal it has served me well. Might just stick with it for another few years.

I had a homemade trailer for 10 years, when traffic core starting talking of checking that trailers are are made by licensed companies and have a chassis number, plated for correct gross weight it can carry etc. i bought a Fountain trailer (same as Brian James).
€1500 bought it however another grand spent of mudguards, lights, new hubs and brakes.
Lot of value out there for proper trailers at the minute but before you spend you would want to be sure with insurance company etc. that its all legit. In saying that i still don't have a trailer licence!

F40 trailers and toughmac trailers are small companies that do them that offer value for new ones.

As far as i know its trailers made after 2013 that need type approval etc. Very hard to prove when a trailer was made!! Sure a new coat of paint and it would look new.... Wink wink

:plusone:

Also... (new) legislation on trailers means they must be certified and have to be built in a certain way, and tested for weights etc. Not only can this effect you if stopped by the Gardai, but many insurance companies also list this in the fine print of your insurance (if not a fully certified trailer you're not insured etc). See below for a few links to relevant info on applicable rules. Given all this plus Joe's very valid point it really isn't worth your while to build a trailer yourself (cost of build, plus certification costs - may as well buy a factory built one).

Can I buy a new trailer from anyone? Since late October 2012 the days of buying a trailer built by a local lad who is good with his hands are gone. All new trailers for sale must have “European Community whole vehicle type approval”. The National Standards Authority of Ireland is responsible for testing and issuing national approvals for trailers made in Ireland. The law is unclear on older trailers and their use, but ultimately the driver is responsible for the safety of his or her trailer and load. Link

https://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Ce...tion/Type-Approval/Trailer-certification.aspx

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehic...ers-/Legal-Requirements-for-towing-trailers-/

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle Std Leg/Information Notes/Light Trailer Stakeholder Note.pdf

Have one there for 400 no offers. used it recently to bring focus back from Kerry to Wicklow.
Waiting on pics to post them up too.

So i bit the bullet!

Ordered a new trailer from Andy in F40 trailers in kildare 2 weeks ago. Collected it today. Absolutely delighted with it. Braked on all 4 wheels, led lights, winch, jockey wheel, ramps. It'll be a trailer for life for me anyway. Used 5 or 6 times a year and stored indoors. Cant wait to get the celica up on it!

Attachments

• IMAG3857.jpg
    IMAG3857.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 76
  • IMAG3858.jpg
    IMAG3858.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 75
Looks well how much it cost . Pm me if you prefer :thumbsup:

€1,500 all in joe. I got a sheet of resin ply, the non slip hex stuff so im going to fill in the floor now. Can take the ride on etc on it then too for service and stuff.

Back