Import or keep looking in Ireland?

urquattro

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a Type R Ver5, I started looking almost one year ago but now is the moment to buy the one :049:, I've just seen around 5 Type R for sale over this year on DoneDeal. It looks like it's difficult to find a good one in Ireland or at least with Irish number plates.

I was thinking about importing one from UK or Japan where the market is bigger, I've asked the JDM import company, they are asking for about 12.000€ for a Ver.5 which is not so cheap, the problem is that they can't tell me for sure how much the VRT will be, they said around 1.500-2.500€ but they don't know for sure, so it will be 12.000+VRT and also I don't feel very comfortable importing a car that I can't see and drive physically, but maybe is the only way to buy a good one :ponder2:

Is there anybody on this forum who could tell me from your own experience how much the VRT is and if it would be worth to bring one from Japan or the Uk, or should I keep looking in DoneDeal? I'm quite lost in the Irish market as I've only been here for a year... Is the same process and VRT cost if I import from Uk as if I import from Japan?

If you import from Japan and do it yourself you have to pay VAT...import duty....and vrt....plus you have to pay a customs agent and someone to trailer the car off the docks for you. Back in the day you could pay your vrt get your number plate. Slap it on and drive it off.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Vrt will be the same price from Japan or uk ????understand what your saying about buying 1 from Japan it’s always a risk buying anywhere but I’d have a car from Japan over a uk car unless it was only there for a few months or a year max .

Also If a car was vrt”d before it doesn’t have to be paid again :thumbsup:there are a good few type r out there back on uk or ni reg that were Irish reg .

Regarding price 9/12 k seems to be the asking orice for v5/6 type r cars :thumbsup:

Vrt will be the same price from Japan or uk ????understand what your saying about buying 1 from Japan it’s always a risk buying anywhere but I’d have a car from Japan over a uk car unless it was only there for a few months or a year max .

Also If a car was vrt”d before it doesn’t have to be paid again :thumbsup:there are a good few type r out there back on uk or ni reg that were Irish reg .

Regarding price 9/12 k seems to be the asking orice for v5/6 type r cars :thumbsup:

Thats if the VRT wasnt claimed back on the car when it went back on UK/Ni plates

My advice is to put out a wanted add as alot of lads will sell but not advertise there cars for various reasons

vrt is 2500 at the minute and on the up

they are prob dearer in japan than here - the fresh imports for sale in uk are mainly grade r / clocked
whats for sale here can be rubbish aswell sadly
i was 18 months trying to buy a v5 limited in japan
it was hard get a good 1 10 years ago never mind now

are you after a run of the mill version 5/6 or a limited ?
big diff in price
a good limited v5/6 could 15k or more now

i agree with putting wanted add up

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate that :54:

Well as you said if the VRT will be 36% I will keep looking over here, doesn't make sense when there are cars in Ireland, the problem is that nobody knows 100% for sure and it is not the same to pay 1.500 as to pay 3.500 it's a big cash difference.

The company which I was talking to was JDM Import Auction, I have
to leave a 500€ to start bidding and everything is included in the price.

I left a "Wanted" advertising in this forum a week ago, I'm gonna make another one for DoneDeal and see if it will work.

I have a friend in the Uk, he was working in Subaru Scottland for a few years, also he own a few Subarus, maybe another chance would be to buy a Uk one and insure it with his address but I'm not sure if the insurance will work in that way, I want to drive 100% legally.

maybe another chance would be to buy a Uk one and insure it with his address but I'm not sure if the insurance will work in that way, I want to drive 100% legally.

Answered your own question their...if the car isnt a perminent resident at his house (in a different country) then thats not legal

Driving without a valid insurance now a days cost 2 years off the road and 2k fine :54:

There's no point having car and if, but, maybe insurance policy it will cost you in the long run. I deal with them regularly and will do anything not to pay out after people paying them year in year out loyalty in nothing with them have it right from start you'll sleep better [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, about the insurance I would like to mention that I have a couple of classic cars and I had a few High Performance cars in the past and I've never drove those cars without insurance, that's why I'm asking. I've opened already a thread asking about the insurance because I wasn't sure how it works in Ireland, so no worries I'm not this kind of person, fortunately I can afford to pay the insurance :icon_grin: anyway it's very important to know this kind of info about the insurance nightmare.

This Ver5 white looks great, I don't like those wheels but this is not a big problem, thanks for the link :thumbsup: I'm going to ask about underneath pics and more info..... the price looks correct if nothing strange has to be done.

Regards

TOP GRADE lol

tell him you want pics of the auction sheet
il bet he hasnt got it

Also be very careful of most under seal jobs, cos it will be just a layer of black stone chip shite sprayed straight on. nothing cleaned and finished in an hour . Would rather see original floor least you know what you have :thumbsup:

I wouldn’t personally be very interested in buying a classic from UK, unless it was only imported.. everything is rotten over there.

If you think 12k is expensive for a fresh import, you might aswell stop your search now.
For 12k plus the Vrt you will have bought a starting point, you will then need to go through it, service, timing belt etc etc and the engine will be in unknown condition.. in my experience gearboxes can be hit and miss with a lot having synchro trouble..

Back