Ireland Insurance

urquattro

Hello everyone, I'm living in West Cork, I'm thinking about buying a Subaru Impreza type R and they are as you all know very difficult to insure. I've heard that with your normal insurance you are covered to drive another car (I have a third party insurance with liberty insurance for daily use) Is that true? That it would be legal for me to drive the Subaru which wouldn't have it's own insurance?

Grateful for any advice and help. I'm originally from Spain and understanding the car insurance system in Ireland is tricky.

/ Marcos

Hello everyone, I'm living in West Cork, I'm thinking about buying a Subaru Impreza type R and they are as you all know very difficult to insure. I've heard that with your normal insurance you are covered to drive another car (I have a third party insurance with liberty insurance for daily use) Is that true? That it would be legal for me to drive the Subaru which wouldn't have it's own insurance?

Grateful for any advice and help. I'm originally from Spain and understanding the car insurance system in Ireland is tricky.

/ Marcos

Thinks it’s a very thin line. Would be up to discretion if garda but would think Subaru would have to be insured by someone else and not owned by you.

I’m sure some have other ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that you have a third party policy i doubt it. I have a full comp policy and i can drive any car once i don't own it.... And no, the other car doesn't need a separate policy. Check with liberty if you can drive other cars. If you can register the Subaru in someone else's name and yes, you can drive it on your policy. I would strongly advise bringing the policy with you at all times to show in case your stopped. But check with liberty first.... You might need to upgrade to full comp....

It doesn't make sense to drop TypeR money on a car and then not insure it fully. If stolen/fire damaged, you're at an absolute loss.

Also, Liberty can be iffy about Third Party extension if you have direct access to the vehicle you're driving. It may not be in your name on paper, but they'll say it may as well be.

"Technically" you could be insured on the Type R under your own policy if it includes cover to drive other cars (be that 3rd party or fully comprehensive cover) - that is indeed provided that the Type R is NOT in your name, or your wife's name, or registered at the same address as your policy and you can make a clear case you do not have regular access (because if you do then the insurance company will just argue that it really is your car to start with and not pay out if something happens). That last part about the address and "regular access" has been added by most insurance companies in the past 2 years or so - but best to check with your own policy fine-print to be sure.

However, as pointed out, even if you think you are covered... the insurance company will more than likely (try to) find a reason not to honour your cover. Also... if there is no actual policy on the Type R then if it gets stolen, goes on fire, or is otherwise damaged you will not be covered and lets face it these cars are now worth real money. For these reasons it really is not advisable to rely on "possible technicalities" to "maybe" be (partially) insured.

The most cost effective solutions which will afford you full cover on your Type R:

1) seeing you have a daily driver with its own insurance policy you can then insure the Type R under a "classic" car policy. There are several companies that provide this type of cover and it is more cost effective than a normal 2nd policy.

2) alternative you can get trade insurance (for a garage), or fleet insurance. This type of policy will allow you to drive any car you personally own. It is normally a little more expensive than a single normal policy, but cheaper than 2 separate policies.

3) there are a few bigger insurance companies who are willing to "mirror" your no claims bonus of your first policy onto a 2nd policy to cover a 2nd car. What this means is that they will "copy" your no claims bonus from your 1st policy onto the 2nd policy. This way you can get quite a good price on the 2nd policy - provided you have a lot of no claims bonus built up already. I used to have this with AXA, but there may be others who also offer this.

Welcome along. And good luck with it. If there is a guarantee nightmare once a year is not halooween. Its insurance renewal :facepalm:

Wouldn't be 100% sure here,, but.. as said above, if the car doesn't have permanent insurance then theft not all that is not covered.
So if you were going down that route.. would it not be an idea to get someone else to insure it as a classic which would cost very little, and have your third party extension there?
Very fine line there tho..

man i cant cant get it anywhere,tried autoline last year,said no,might give them a try tomorrow,hopefully get one of the pricks in a good mood

Yeah Brian I found autoline the only ones to insure type r on classic, I'm 41 and have another car as daily , they have changed minimum age to 30 to cover lads on classic now,

They told me my premium will come down a lot next year as car will be 20 yrs old,

Currently paying 330 Euro full comp.5000 miles a year mileage all mods declared

jesus,thats a good price pedro,im a reasonably old 33,lol,15years ncb,was going to chance running her on the 3rd party extension,but a risk worth running until some bollix throws a match on her,il ring them tomorrow so.cheers

2nd year with autoline , 34 ,10 years ncb , 3 points on licence for speeding , €420 on v2 sti

Thank you all for your replies! Very much appreciated. Unfortunately the car was sold before I got there, I'll keep looking... Maybe it would be more difficult for me with the insurance as I'm only here in Ireland for one year now... But thanks for the tips, I'll check with Autoline in the future! Anyway, the plan was just to check if I would be covered to drive it home after buying it. Of course I'd need to insure the car itself in the end.

By the way, I'm looking for a Type R if someone knows something, I'd appreciate the help, they are hard to come by.

Back