Torque Pro App for reading OBDII fault codes [2004 Blobeye WRX]

MLC

Sunday Drivers
Good day all. It's been a while since I've posted ... hope you're all keeping Scoobtastically well :icon_grin:

I have a CEL/MIL light and would like to read the OBDII code but I'm not having any luck so far :wall:

I'm using the Torque Pro App [on a Samsung Galaxy tablet] and I have two bluetooth dongles, both cheap items I picked up on e-bay.

Both of these dongles work fine on the family car (Toyota Avensis ... sorry :icon_redface:). I can read and reset codes, so I know they're basically OK.

On my Blobeye (2004 WRX), I can pair to either dongle without a problem but can't get a connection to the car's CPU. So I'm unable to read or reset codes.

I've tried various options on the Torque Pro App relating to the OBDII adaptor and the vehicle profile but no joy.

Does anybody use Torque Pro for reading codes on their Scooby?
Does it work for you with the default settings or is some customisation needed?
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced dongle which works on a Scooby with Torque Pro?
Alternatively, can you recommend another cost effective way to read and reset codes.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Gav

Good day all. It's been a while since I've posted ... hope you're all keeping Scoobtastically well :icon_grin:

I have a CEL/MIL light and would like to read the OBDII code but I'm not having any luck so far :wall:

I'm using the Torque Pro App [on a Samsung Galaxy tablet] and I have two bluetooth dongles, both cheap items I picked up on e-bay.

Both of these dongles work fine on the family car (Toyota Avensis ... sorry :icon_redface:). I can read and reset codes, so I know they're basically OK.

On my Blobeye (2004 WRX), I can pair to either dongle without a problem but can't get a connection to the car's CPU. So I'm unable to read or reset codes.

I've tried various options on the Torque Pro App relating to the OBDII adaptor and the vehicle profile but no joy.

Does anybody use Torque Pro for reading codes on their Scooby?
Does it work for you with the default settings or is some customisation needed?
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced dongle which works on a Scooby with Torque Pro?
Alternatively, can you recommend another cost effective way to read and reset codes.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Gav

I have a BT OBDII which my friends used on their Subaru cars but I never had a necessity to try it myself. You can have a try.
As far as I know, Vag-com works for Subaru as well, and allows more than Torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a BT OBDII which my friends used on their Subaru cars but I never had a necessity to try it myself. You can have a try.
As far as I know, Vag-com works for Subaru as well, and allows more than Torque
Thanks a lot for that, really appreciated. PM sent.

All sorted. The CEL code was P0519 and it was caused by a seized Idle Air Control Valve, now replaced.

There's a good write up on this here:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781242

A few noteworthy points:

• The gasket cannot be re-used. The effects of heat/ageing cause it to expand by maybe 10% relative to its original size. So once the IACV is removed, the gasket pops out of its groove and won't go back in. So make sure to have a fresh gasket to hand before removing the IACV. Don't attempt running the engine with a re-used, mangled gasket, otherwise there's a good chance of coolant finding its way into the intake.

• Care is needed when removing the two retaining screws. They were bloody tight, most likely due to threadlock and never having been removed before.

• The price of a genuine Subaru replacement is rather steep at €300+. I sourced a used item from http://www.imprezabreakers.co.uk. Duncan there delivered it for £42. There are also cheap e-bay replacements available from China - not sure about their quality, so I opted for a used genuine Subaru item instead.

A word of thanks to Lynx, who very kindly responded to my request for an OBD Bluetooth adaptor. What nice folks there are around here! :thumbsup:

There are also cheap e-bay replacements available from China - not sure about their quality, so I opted for a used genuine Subaru item instead.

Having vast experience as parts seller I can't think of a single example, when Chinese sensors, gauges or other electrical parts worked at all. They either don't work or work incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having vast experience as parts seller I can't think of a single example, when Chinese sensors, gauges or other electrical parts worked at all. They either don't work or work incorrectly.

Looks like I made the right choice then. :thumbsup:

Since I opened this thread by looking for an OBDII adaptor which works with the Android Torque-Pro App on my Subaru, I may as well finish by providing a link to this one:

New BAFX ELM327 Bluetooth OBD 2 CAN V1.5 Scan Tool Android OBD Reader / Scanner
https://www.ebay.com/itm/251488093341
$26 delivered​

It arrived in the post a few days ago. I tried it today and it works just fine.

Gav

Back