Should you let your car warm up

nope. start it up, let it do its thing for 30 seconds or so while i belt up and get my music and sat nav sorted for the journey, keep off boost until oil warms up to about 80c. hard to do some mornings when you have some diesel wa*ker behind you :)

No harm suppose if you have private gated property or a garage. I just take it easy until the engine get up in temp. Usually about 5mins.

In my opinion its a must especially turbocharged vehicles have to get that lube and heat going in there for atleast 60 sec prior to driving off and even then take it easy until normal operating temp

No , get in and drive it, oil temp will heat up quicker by treating it like an ordinary engine .
Obviously keep revs low and load low until hot.

I leave it sitting for 5 mins or so and then drive slow until I see the temps rise on the gauges.

Ye always on all cars . even the van . Go out an start it let it sit there for 5 /10 Min just the right amount time to make a cup of Coffey and a slice of toast :new_gmorning::icon_grin:

If I can I let it warm for 5 mins or so otherwise it drives horrible around town with the auto choke/choppy revs while coasting etc when its up to temp it drives so much smoother/better.

You get carbon build up letting your car idle for long time when cold. As for turbo and bits getting oil that happens from the time you start within about 1 sec or less otherwise the engine bearings will be flattened. Those of you with oil pressure gauges will see the gauge shoot up from the time you start, and run much higher than when the car is warm as the oil is cold & thick, so rule is don't push it until oil pressure at idle is at the normal opp pressure. For those that have aftermarket engine builds on cold start I am sure you can hear as soon as you tap the accelerator pedal a rattle from the motor. That would be the pistons, OEM piston typically have a pin offset that reduces 'slap' during warm up. Some aftermarket pistons material tends to expand more than oem when hot so engine builders leave a little more clearance so it is a good idea to warm those type of engines up.

I'd say a minute of idle and then a slow drive low rpm until you getting up to opp temp then you good. Plus take in consideration you have gearbox oil and dif oil and these areas will also need a little tlc before hammering it. Plus being on that topic be sure to check & change this oil as it is often overlooked. A good oil will last 50000km.

I suppose it's like the oil argument, everyone has their own way of going about it. The cars temperature gauge shows it's warm way before my oil temp is. I let my oil temp get halfway to where it sits and then drive and she warms up nicely then.

I find bouncing it off the limiter helps the oil to warm up a lot quicker, and I always let her cool down on the turbo timer to help keep bearings good...

A bit of common sense goes a long way, let it warm up if you can, and just drive it without load or high revs until up to temp... it takes a long time for oil to heat up, if your only driving 5-10 mins to work, chances are it won’t be up to operating temp

I just get in and drive gently until everything is up to temperature. My car is too loud to leave ticking over outside the house

Zero need just drive easy for last few km does the trick ????

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back