Rally Legend 2017

toyscrota

4 doors are better than 2 doors
ISDC Club Member
I mentioned it on another thread that I was heading over to Rally Legend in San Marino for the WRC Champions Colin McRae Tribute.
What a weekend, so many different classic rally cars and plenty of quick drivers.
The whole Colin McRae thing wasnt done great and then only some of the WRC champs actually drove on the cars but all in all was a great weekend. Quick few pics of some of my favourites, there is loads of videos popping up on youtube already well worth watching.

Attachments

• IMG_5260small.jpg
    IMG_5260small.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5262small.jpg
    IMG_5262small.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5266small.jpg
    IMG_5266small.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5267small.jpg
    IMG_5267small.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5261small.jpg
    IMG_5261small.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 99

Attachments

• IMG_5289small.jpg
    IMG_5289small.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5294small.jpg
    IMG_5294small.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5271small.jpg
    IMG_5271small.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5270small.jpg
    IMG_5270small.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5268small.jpg
    IMG_5268small.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 100

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Image-11.jpg
    Image-11.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Image-12.jpg
    Image-12.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5274.JPG
    IMG_5274.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5279.JPG
    IMG_5279.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 93
Best story of the weekend has to be this guy. Was walking into the Parc Ferme and here was this car parked off to the side just after pulling up covered in road dirt and a very recognizable number plate. Walked over to the owner and low and behold an Irishman!
Turns out he is from Donegal and drove the car all the way to San Marino! The car has sat in a shed in Donegal for the last 8 years and he just decided to take it for a spin! Throws me the keys and sat in and started her up and note the 000/400 plaque.
He bought the car off Nicky Grist 2 weeks before the original McRae Gathering in 2008 after a loan from the bank manager who was knew exactly what it was being a rally driver too!
He got to join the WRC champ parade on the sunday. Car drew massive attraction while i was chatting to him. Has newage big brembos and he reckons its running a lot more power than standard. Only 30,000kms on it.

Attachments

• IMG_5265small.jpg
    IMG_5265small.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 93
God... R19 WRC is stunning... such an amazing restoration.

That ex-Grist 22B had the engine blown at some point by Grist and was rebuilt by Autosportif. Far form stock too from what I read a few years back

God... R19 WRC is stunning... such an amazing restoration.

That ex-Grist 22B had the engine blown at some point by Grist and was rebuilt by Autosportif. Far form stock too from what I read a few years back

The attention to detail was unreal.

Ya he reckoned it was around 450bhp.

I remember it being for sale few years back. And the fact that it wasn't the original engine in it was putting a lot of people off. Smashing car non the less

Amazing rally! I want to be there next year!

Our own Frank Kelly put up a great show as well..

Looked a savage weekend fair play for pics James, serious selection. Few donegal bucks knockin about there [emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Amazing rally! I want to be there next year!

Our own Frank Kelly put up a great show as well..

They went absolutely crazy for kelly, even more than their own Paolo Diana doing 00 in the Fiat 131 who was sideways everywhere too. Well worth the trip, next year on the cards already

Looked a savage weekend fair play for pics James, serious selection. Few donegal bucks knockin about there [emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Was savage Adrian i have loads of pics and videos. Lots of irish over there growing every year from talking to the lads that have gone regular.

The Lada VTS's put on some show with feck all power, load of Hungarians driving them and their fans even madder!

As much as i love the subarus obviously, i think what was most impressive was the three ex-works lancers evos, particularly the two evo 6s. Ralliart dismantled / crushed nearly all of the group A cars as Mitsubishi wanted to right them off as research and development. I only ever saw one before over at Jim Clark rally in 2014 which I'm nearly sure was V22 MMR same one that was in San Marino last weekend.

What way did you fly over and where is good to stay? Did you rent a car for getting about? Would love to go

What way did you fly over and where is good to stay? Did you rent a car for getting about? Would love to go

Shane we flew to Bologna from Dublin. 1.5hr drive to Rimini to where we stayed and a lot of people stay as accommodation is expensive and generally booked out by competitors in San Marino. Rimini is 30min drive from San Marino so handy out.
Yes rented a car as its a must really even though organisers put on shuttle buses to stages and you can bus it from Rimini everyday.
Example of cost:
Flights €110 return
Accommodation for two €230 for 3 nights (loads of rooms in Rimini some even cheaper)
Intermediate car €195 (we got Alfa 1.6 diesel and only used half a tank all weekend)

We flew back via Pisa (3hr drive) on the sunday night as no return flight from Bologna to Dublin until the tuesday and i needed to be back for work.
Tuesday would be the job though as you could go to Ducati factory, Marenello and Imola which are all close to Bologna on the Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_5455.JPG
    IMG_5455.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back