Brembo brakes

seanie

Was at a technical sales talk yesterday presented by Brembo that was very interesting, the guy doing the presentation used to work in formula 1.
They now supply 72% of the OE Market with the other 28% fought for by TMD( textar) and Ate.
Didn't realise there were so few OE Manufacturers.
Couple of interesting facts I didn't know -

You do not need to bed in brembo pads, they are heat treated in the factory to burn off the gases produced while bedding in. As the guy said, he never had to tell Lewis Hamilton to take it easy for a couple of hundred miles til the brakes bed in.

The new range of brembo discs supplied to Irish and U.K. Market are UV treated and do not rust ever, think that's pretty cool and definitely convinced me to get genuine brembo discs next time.

The guy doing the presentation asked why are brakes cross drilled????
I thought better cooling/ventilation, I was wrong. Someone else thought better to get rid of brake dust, we were told that they actually create more dust.
The only reason discs are cross drilled is because they look better, have you ever seen a formula one brake disc?

They basically own the motorsport market and also own AP braking. Aparently the only reason AP still exists is because certain motorsport classes do not allow a monopoly of the market.

Last edited:
Interesting, maybe I was talking to the wrong people but I found it difficult to get original Brembo discs here

thats mad
If you look at most race cars thy wear AP
even the Subaru WRX STI Type RA NBR had them on over at the ring
and not the Brembo 6 pot that Subaru use for the RA R
I guessed AP where better as most race cars have them
even over in Auto Sport international nearly every car wore AP
just they weren't in the OE market due to been not big enough to handle capacity was what i ssumed
getting brake pipes for a set of calipers a while back of them took 12 weeks from order date

8 out of 10 of the top selling vehicles in Europe are fitted with Ferodo ,so maybe they own them also if they have 72%

Brembo discs Baz can be got on eurocarparts
PR Reilly doing there Irish distribution now

If buying Brembo make sure from a good source as there are a lot of copies floating around ebay
difference there in the picture

Brembo.GIF

Attachments

• Brembo.GIF
    Brembo.GIF
    92 KB · Views: 93
Ferodo, pagid and mintex are all different quality brakes under the TMD/textar umbrella.
They seem to have most of the new European manufactures tied up bar the VAG group.
Another interesting one is the brakes on the f series bmw's which have an aluminium bell, they found standard discs were warping after small mileage due to heat which was solved by the aluminium bell and any other disc bar the original brembo does not have it.

The rust prevention is a nice touch will definitely be considering them for my own car, nothing uglier than rusty discs. The discs look dark grey they are not silver like normal discs

They have just finished pushing the aftermarket sales big time in the U.K. and are starting to roll it out in motorfactors here, soon they will be very easily got.

Last edited:
Interesting numbers there. Have heard before that the drilled disc is a false economy and nonsense once it's anymore than grooved and/or dimpled. Create more issues than they solve. Have seen numerous brands with stress cracks radiating from the drilled holes before the disc has reached it's minimum thickness.

Cheers Colm thanks for that , I'm going to put plain Brembo discs on her the next time .

Another interesting thing is I remember I priced Textar pads for a Cayenne Turbo I think they were in around €330 ( massive pads )
And from Porsche pads were €800++ .........
Customer wanted genuine parts .....parts arrived from Porsche , opened the box , Textar printed on the backs of the pads ....

Ferrari owners in the know buy some parts in Alfa dealers [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sometimes buy from Euro Car Parts in Galway when customer wants non-genuine and I was given Brembo pads for an Insignia. Very nice quality inside the box and great pricing!!

Always did use a combo of brembo discs and pads on past 3 daily driven diesels and never a problem

Pr reilly were bought by euro car parts and I'd say have a nice monopoly on the market now that hella aren't in irlenad anymore all their parts come from the uk

Back