Old paint restoration: with pics; explanation of process

menzerna is good gear . have the 3 grades from when I done my own car when I bought it . only used a da and foam pads so was a slow process . would love to get a rotary and few panels to practice on before tackling my own car .

range rover turned out really well . great job satisfaction there

Great result there :54:
Nice thread that l will hate as will give me a false confidence to go spend big money on cleaning stuff and then destroying my paintwork with my wishful skills :roll:

menzerna is good gear . have the 3 grades from when I done my own car when I bought it . only used a da and foam pads so was a slow process . would love to get a rotary and few panels to practice on before tackling my own car .

range rover turned out really well . great job satisfaction there
Yeah there's great job satisfaction in it all right.and a sore looking back!
The Merzema is the dogs bollox on old(as in not fresh) paintwork.
Most colours are grand to do as you can't see too much f it's not done right.but black.,......
Well black is a pure ba*tard. Tis probably the best looking colour on any car but it a ****er to get right.and then ya get kids with sticky lollipop hands touching it an all.the little bastards..:icon_biggrin:
What color is your car Tommy?

Great result there :54:
Nice thread that l will hate as will give me a false confidence to go spend big money on cleaning stuff and then destroying my paintwork with my wishful skills :roll:
Ah cheers for that pal.
Yeah- I was only thinking that after i put it up- the price of all the stuff needed is quite high.im used to just having all the gear there and ordering a 50 quid polish or three 12 quid head's.
A decent professional polisher runs 400-500 euros.
It expensive at the beginning , but then ya have it for ever.

But to be honest,its probably a job (well the full 3/4 stage) you'd only ever do once.after that it's more maintenance.

Yeah there's great job satisfaction in it all right.and a sore looking back!
The Merzema is the dogs bollox on old(as in not fresh) paintwork.
Most colours are grand to do as you can't see too much f it's not done right.but black.,......
Well black is a pure ba*tard. Tis probably the best looking colour on any car but it a ****er to get right.and then ya get kids with sticky lollipop hands touching it an all.the little bastards..:icon_biggrin:
What color is your car Tommy?

my own car is blue and has only ever had 1 pass with cutting material and to be fair is holding up well but takes a lot of maintenance and the correct wash method .

done a black Corsa with the d.a ,2 days I'll never get back but it polished €500 quid into the sale price of the car . must see can i find pics as it wasnt the worst amateur attempt ever , done the Corsa before the Subaru as a practice run .

20170725_114705.jpg

not perfect but has a depth to it

Attachments

• 20170725_114705.jpg
    20170725_114705.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 76
I love the colour.i think the WRB is the best colour.its the same as my leggy wagon.
The finish looks great and yes , some people would think we were ****ing nuts talking bout depth in paintwork, but yes ,there is great depth to your paintwork and you can see how much work you've put into it.nice work.what wax you use?

Excellent write up Ben thanks. Bought a rotary last year and had friend who knows what they are at run through it with me and then watched a shed load of youtube videos. Got a panel from a breaker to practice on and eventually did a bit on the car. Was happy with the results it just took a while to get the confidence to do it. Was also recommended MenzerNa products, sorry couldnt resist. 2400 & 3800 good stuff. Unreal results with the range rover fair play.

Thanks for that Ger.
Hee hee.????
Yeah, that's it- the More you practice, the better you get at it
I think you done it the right way- get a old panel and learn the mistakes on that.
I think the hardest thing about it is that you have to do a small area at a time and stick to the correct procedure.its very tempting to lash a full panel out it and think it looks good- until the sun shines.......

Back