Fmic

newage top mount STi intercooler good for 450 iirc and cheaper option
not as laggy ,unless its the look your going for
can pick them up 150-250 euro

Cheers for that Colm - on the look thing, I'm torn between keeping it stock or going a built route to be honest. I'll look into the new age option - I assume it's just bigger than my current STI one?

If you look on scoobynet HDI intercooler cores are supposed to be of quality, BUT the piping is supposed to be a nightmare to fit and of bad design. Their is also an ongoing thread for Japspeed intercoolers for £200 that are of better quality (marginally) on scoobynet

DSCF0737.jpg

thats both of them there if yours is the same as a classic impreza intercooler which i would guess it is
generally its the way people go unless your over the 450 mark I think
im sure someone can confirm
but a newage STi intercooler will be of better quality material id say as OEM part
I did it to my classic impreza
You have to shorten the brake reservoir filler neck
and modify a bracket on left side and few washers
coil pack relocation if required
but handy enough

sti version 8 intercooler is what youd be looking for

guide on it here http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/STi8IntercoolerOntoMY00Classic

Attachments

• DSCF0737.jpg
    DSCF0737.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 64
I read a while back of a BMW tuning company in the States selling M3 exhaust systems
and they turned out they where cheap e bay jobs bought in and the Companies just putting there badge on the back box
aftermarket can be some great stuff
but also quiet a lot of expensive junk

If you look on scoobynet HDI intercooler cores are supposed to be of quality, BUT the piping is supposed to be a nightmare to fit and of bad design. Their is also an ongoing thread for Japspeed intercoolers for £200 that are of better quality (marginally) on scoobynet

I read a while back of a BMW tuning company in the States selling M3 exhaust systems
and they turned out they where cheap e bay jobs bought in and the Companies just putting there badge on the back box
aftermarket can be some great stuff
but also quiet a lot of expensive junk

It can be hit and miss alright which is why I figured I'd ask before jumping in! I've had a quick look and it seems that there may be an issue with the y pipe and fittings on the turbo size for fitting the new age intercooler to the sf - I'll do a bit more digging and see, it would definitely be the easier option and I won't be going near 450 or my box will explode!!!

Would have thought like for like with a classic Impreza
Yeah box I think 320 ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per Colm, newage sti intercooler good for over 400 and more reliable then any other aftermarket fmic in that performance range.
Not to sure about fitment but shouldnt be hard fit, got myself an sti 8 IC will be fitting to my v4 sti classic no major modifications needed to fit.

Back