New Head unit or go double din

lordderak

Sunday Drivers
Hey Lads

So just wondering should i ditch the lovely but useless JDM sat nav and radio unit and get this double din adapter or fit a band expander and continue using the 6 disc cd, radio and mini disc as normal?

Is it straight forward to go double din, wondering if buttons on the steering wheel will still work etc?
I know the Kenwood Sat nav is useless (pity, nice bit of kit) what could i replace that with?

Cheers

i can only presume u have a legacy bl5 gen4 if so the band expander is not worth a w**k
you would be better of buying the cubby hole where the sat nav goes and put that there then buy the stereo kit online be carefull***
there is a dual climate control and a single climate control buy the one for your specific car the kit is about 250$ then buy the double din head unit and your sorted or buy an fm bluetooth transmitter from maplin (confirm first if it goes as low as your radio frequency) they cost fro 15 euro to about 59 euro for the fancy ones check them out pal

if u dont own a legacy then i feel like a tit ,ha

i can only presume u have a legacy bl5 gen4 if so the band expander is not worth a w**k
you would be better of buying the cubby hole where the sat nav goes and put that there then buy the stereo kit online be carefull***
there is a dual climate control and a single climate control buy the one for your specific car the kit is about 250$ then buy the double din head unit and your sorted or buy an fm bluetooth transmitter from maplin (confirm first if it goes as low as your radio frequency) they cost fro 15 euro to about 59 euro for the fancy ones check them out pal

if u dont own a legacy then i feel like a tit ,ha

Thanks for the advice, it's an 06 legacy BP5 and it does have the dual climate control.

Your very welcome ,Keep us posted what you do I have the exact Same problem I use my parrot kit to listen to podcasts and cds on the stereo.

Your very welcome ,Keep us posted what you do I have the exact Same problem I use my parrot kit to listen to podcasts and cds on the stereo.

I'm tinkering with the idea of getting the kit, my only worry would be the steering wheel controls, i have a spare double din unit ready to go with a reverse camera, sat nav etc, is it as straight forward as removing jdm head unit and just plugging in a double din and everything works? I've a feeling it would never be as straightforward as that but that's the pessimist in me :icon_razz:

You have to buy a harness with open ends and get a good auto election to sort it out
There is other ways colom but you have to put a single din in the top cubby hole and hard wire it in to your current stereo as it's one unit connected by harness and plastic and circuit boards at the back it's a pain in the hole

It's not something I ever looked at
But that's mad money to have a radio change

Someone has to have sorted this better as the years have gone bye
At a guess ? The

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My standard radio in my BLE will only pick up certain Irish stations within the jap bandwidth. Previous owner must have installed a converter but why will it still only pick up on jap bandwidth?

yep loardderak that looks like it all right its a pain in the hole all right my car looks almost identical except for the knob on the bottom right see the way yours is split mine is just a single spinny one if ya get me so make sure as we discussed before you get the right one and colour mind u i was going to separate my radio from my ac controls by cutting it with a dremel untill i seen it was connected by circut boards and steel shielding boxes and one single harness to power the ac air controls and the radio so in my humble opinion the kit you have pictured there is the only fix even a cd unit from a uk car wont work as they are coded to each car

yep loardderak that looks like it all right its a pain in the hole all right my car looks almost identical except for the knob on the bottom right see the way yours is split mine is just a single spinny one if ya get me so make sure as we discussed before you get the right one and colour mind u i was going to separate my radio from my ac controls by cutting it with a dremel untill i seen it was connected by circut boards and steel shielding boxes and one single harness to power the ac air controls and the radio so in my humble opinion the kit you have pictured there is the only fix even a cd unit from a uk car wont work as they are coded to each car

A unit from a European car wont work? Bloody hell that's good to know, i had no idea and i found a legacy being broken here in Limerick with a head unit, naively thought i could just plug and play....thank god i did'nt buy it.

yeah man dave from rsr told me that and i also read it on a uk forum ,now i did read that some electronics wizerd on a usa legacy owners site soldered and unsoldered and added some electronics and it allowed him to widen the bandwidth of the tuner but i got lost about 500 odd words into the tutorial the cheapest fix is buy an fm transmitter with bluetooth on it you connect your phone to it and you can listen to your mp3s ,spotafy , and use it as a handsfree kit some of them have this option. failing that you might have to buy the stereo kit

o btw where the factory sat nav screen is rip it out and put a nice 7 inch satnav in its place good luck keep me posted will ya im intrested what u do i have the exact same dilemma well i use the cd player a lot and i use a parrot phone handsfree kit to listen to my podcasts and talk to the wife while driving , good luck

Hi Lads

I ended up going with a grom unit (bluetooth dongle etc) and dab module, works a treat!!! thanks for all the advice and suggestions

Back