New Member from Limerick.

If it was me, id map it definitely for piece of mind. Now plenty lads use octane booster with no problems, but I don't think any octane booster would give you the extra 10 Ron to match what the car is mapped for at present.
That's only my opinion, as said loads of people do otherwise.
Can't hurt to map it for 95 and not have to worry about the fuel in the tank etc etc.

Boost gauge, sure why not lol
Always a benefit, I've been driving mine with none for the last while with no problems, but got some gauges lately strictly for cosmetic purposes lol

I'm sure some lads here will have proper scientific answers to your questions tho..

The sticker on inside the fuel cap says 99ron unleaded petrol, now even a conservative estimate puts standard Irish petrol at somewhere around 95/96 ron, with E5 claiming 99ron but not advertised, most octane boosters well at least the decent ones will give at least 40 points or 4 ron, which would bring me there or thereabouts, I believe NF racing will yield 60 points or 6 ron, that should be more than enough to cover my needs, particulate as I doubt anywhere you'll see Petrol left in this country under 94ron but I could be wrong.

Welcome aboard man, nice legacy never seen one in white, very nice and well ware!

The sticker on inside the fuel cap says 99ron unleaded petrol, now even a conservative estimate puts standard Irish petrol at somewhere around 95/96 ron, with E5 claiming 99ron but not advertised, most octane boosters well at least the decent ones will give at least 40 points or 4 ron, which would bring me there or thereabouts, I believe NF racing will yield 60 points or 6 ron, that should be more than enough to cover my needs, particulate as I doubt anywhere you'll see Petrol left in this country under 94ron but I could be wrong.

Welcome along and enjoy.

Normal ron 95 is more than likely 93-95, and with octane I'd still put it shy of the 99ron.
Very surprised Martin would advise to not remap the car, as it's normally the 1st port of call on any turbo jdm.

Usually would be alright. What ever it's supposed to get, 99/105, it's best off to have it mapped for the fuel it's actually getting, just to avoid the need of additives on the hope it'll bring it there or there abouts lol
Just to be on the safe side you might as well man.

Thanks for all the input lads, if it helps i'm now more confused particularly with Martin from Westward advising against a map, he was my first port of call because of the 4wd dyno setup he has. His main issue with mapping was the varying quality of fuel in the country and that you could never ever be sure what you were getting. But i do know for a fact that all Maxol stations carry E5 petrol.

Just map it on Maxol and continue to use Maxol. Job done.
I can't see a reason why anyone would advise against it to be honest?

Thanks for all the input lads, if it helps i'm now more confused particularly with Martin from Westward advising against a map, he was my first port of call because of the 4wd dyno setup he has. His main issue with mapping was the varying quality of fuel in the country and that you could never ever be sure what you were getting. But i do know for a fact that all Maxol stations carry E5 petrol.

I had a saloon bl5 turbo for 3 years, daily car, never a problem with it and never mapped for Irish jujce, I was first Irish registered owner after car came from Japan so it had never been previously mapped. When I bought it I read somewhere that the ecu in that particular model was able to adjust for poorer quality petrol, can't remember if I read it or was told it,

Just food for thought????

That's interesting alright, can't say I've heard of it either tho.

If you have a look on sl-i.net (Subaru Legacy International) you could find some information on the ecu and see if that's the case with it.

I had a saloon bl5 turbo for 3 years, daily car, never a problem with it and never mapped for Irish jujce, I was first Irish registered owner after car came from Japan so it had never been previously mapped. When I bought it I read somewhere that the ecu in that particular model was able to adjust for poorer quality petrol, can't remember if I read it or was told it,

Just food for thought????

That's the jist of what Martin in Westward has told me, the car is driving perfect but i suppose i can never be fully sure if she was down in power as i have never driven one until now, everything seems smooth with a nice power delivery with no hesitation or splutters, his only advice to me was to use branded fuel and avoid the cheaper brands, he also told me to change the oil and filter every 5,6000km and use genuine Subaru parts only, he also mentioned something interesting about filling the oil filter first and then cranking the car without starting etc before topping up the oil, can anyone explain that to me?

That's the jist of what Martin in Westward has told me, the car is driving perfect but i suppose i can never be fully sure if she was down in power as i have never driven one until now, everything seems smooth with a nice power delivery with no hesitation or splutters, his only advice to me was to use branded fuel and avoid the cheaper brands, he also told me to change the oil and filter every 5,6000km and use genuine Subaru parts only, he also mentioned something interesting about filling the oil filter first and then cranking the car without starting etc before topping up the oil, can anyone explain that to me?

My dad gave men that advice many moons ago when servicing a car, I'm sure some of the mechanical guru's will explain the theory but I presume it's prevents oil starvation on start up with new oil filter?

With regard cranking engine to circulation of oil. My cousin used to do this and insist on it when car after being sitting up for a while priming would be done to reduce engine wear on classic cars after generally being parked up for long periods of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best of luck with the car. I brought in a similar 2006 BP5 legacy estate a year ago exactly. Have a look in my post. I have photos up of it. I got mine remapped by Aonghus Power. Was very happy with the results and good for peace of mind. He spent pretty much the whole day getting it right in his mind. Have a look in the mapping section of the results. Mine is an auto.

Welcome along brother.lovely car.youll love it.
Bought one in recently myself.getting it mapped on Tuesday.
What I noticed is this.when she arrived she had a half tank of Jap fuel.seriously fast and I mean FAST..,
When I changed to irish go-go juice, there was a distinctive drop in power.no where near as quick. Now still quick but not AS quick.
Get it mapped.get it done and then there's a bit of peace of mind around it.after paying out all that money.
Best of luck with her.
Ben

Gorgeous looking Leggy. Well wear. More pictures please. We love pictures here.

Back