Typical Upgrade Path - Newage Impreza 2.0 WRX

bang

ISDC Club Member
In std form they are 220bhp give or take and have boost at about 0.95 bar. The boost profile in the std map is pretty tame and doesnt come in til 3500rpm assuming the car is std.

so… choices

1. Keep the car std but just remap for more oomph and better fuel economy.
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier and hold higher boost levels for longer but the map will be geared to running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically) as it wont be possible to push too much boost with all 3 cats in place. Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and a backbox are fitted at this stage.

This would get the car to about 250-260bhp

2. Sports cat in downpipe – remove centre cat
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier due to the lower back pressure and hold much higher boost levels. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).
Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and probably a 3 port solenoid are fitted at this stage (on top of the sports cat downpipe and exhaust system).

This would get the car to about 270bhp but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range.

3. Fully Decat Exhaust
The low back pressure from removing all the cats is now the equivalent of the turbo running around the garden naked shouting “look at me I’m free”. A remap is needed to bring it under control and stop overboosting. The remap will bring boost in as smooth as possible and most likely get full boost at around 2700 rpm and hold higher boost right through the rev range. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).

Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and probably a 3 port solenoid are fitted at this stage (on top of the decat downpipe and exhaust system).

This would get the car to about 280-290bhp but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range and transform the way the car drives on the road.

A walbro 255 fuel pump is advisable but not 100% essential.

4. Getting to over 300bhp
A lot of people want to do this, it is a nice bhp figure for the pub afterall. So .. how ? The std TD04 turbo will not do it unless you are on a dyno that reads very optimistically. It will need a turbo off its bigger brother STi version.

There are many many choices of turbo for this VF30, VF34, VF35, VF43, VF48, TD05 16G etc etc but all of these will need a couple of other changes to the car before hitting the mark safely.
– STi Injectors – 550cc (Pinks)
– Walbro 255 pump
– worth changing the uppipe for a decat version
– probably an STi TMIC although the WRX will suffice.

It is also advisable to change to NGK PFR7B spark plugs.

There is a lot of info around about the different turbos and what they are capable of – the VF35 makes the best upgrade in my opinion at the moment and should hit a nice safe 320-330bhp. This is pretty much an ideal level for the WRX keeping it within the capabilities of the engine, gearbox and clutch.

Some other info:
– a vent to atmosphere dump valve will not improve the performance but if you must fit one for the sound then stick to a good make – forge have always been good from what I have seen. (Baileys are less so)
– a FMIC is not needed at this stage and tbh is always the wrong mod to do on a WRX.
– an induction kit will most likely not improve performance as the std airbox is very good. If you do want more induction noise then go for a cold air induction kit such as the K&N typhoon where the filter is located away from engine bay heat.

Credit - http://www.racedynamix.co.uk/remap/subaru-remapping/typical-upgrade-path-newage-2-0-wrx/

These are based assuming you can get better petrol than here in Ireland. On our petrol here in Ireland, remap without change will get you to 240hp and remap with decated will get you to 260hp safely.

Other values will be changing respectively

Probably no harm invest in decent tyres, brakes and suspension prior to bumping the power. Suppose really depends on how mad you want to go power wise, but defo tyres anyway

Probably no harm invest in decent tyres, brakes and suspension prior to bumping the power. Suppose really depends on how mad you want to go power wise, but defo tyres anyway

Would do this before upping the power for sure

I read this article before I started my upgrading journey. I decided to go for option 4 but before even getting there I wanted to overhaul the handling and suspension. Tyres, brakes, arb, coilovers etc were all done. Next in line now is the above power upgrade with a vf35. Should be an even more interesting car then.

I'd agree with the lads.

Handling,tyres and brakes first.

Power can come later but the above will improve your car as is and show you a huge difference the way it is.

Buy the best bits if possible then go for power!

Those improvements alone will unleash the cars potential as is.

The improvement will shock you even without the power upgrade.

Makes a great base to increase power when all the other jobs are done.

Brakes are a big part if you can't brake hard and trust them you can't get back on power quicker I read here before here good brakes are as good as 10hp and tyres go hand in hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of brakes, highly recommend Carbone Lorraine Rc5+ pads with ATE brake fluid and braided steel lines. With just even the stock wrx calipers, the above make a huge difference and definitely inspire confidence when hammering towards the next corner.

Last edited:
Back