Heat wrap

ALAN83

Have heat wrap on my v2 sti ,

Everytime it rains steam rises from engine and is fairly embarrassing when fueling up which is a lot:facepalm:

Is there anyway of stopping this or rip heat wrap off ?

Had car garaged for a while and freaked out thinking it was oil leak but only happins after rain .

Also when my a/c is on car runs rough :shock2:

Any help be great ..

thanks

Moister

Have heat wrap on my v2 sti ,

Everytime it rains steam rises from engine and is fairly embarrassing when fueling up which is a lot:facepalm:

Is there anyway of stopping this or rip heat wrap off ?

Had car garaged for a while and freaked out thinking it was oil leak but only happins after rain .

Also when my a/c is on car runs rough :shock2:

Any help be great ..

thanks

Heat wrap holds in moister,its not great to have heatwrap on an exhaust in cases where it gets wet then car is garaged,will rust away exhaust,i would take off wrap and get exhaust sprayed in a VHT Paint rather than put heatwrap on my car.

Mine had some on it had same problem u have but more to extent of just a smell through vents I took it off no problems to report except for metal clip I missed still rattling around I got one off must be another. On other hand it should usually dry out quite quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above it will destroy your exhaust.
Ruined an exhaust on me before, especially if you drive car through winter with salt on the roads, then garage the car.
Remove it is my advice.

Can replace the heat wrap with new and spray sealant over the new wrap
Or you can get similar to the turbo jacket for some sections on exhaust system

Can't remember the name of the sealant,sure someone will know

Heat wrap Can indeed rot exhausts (stainless steel ones too)... but it doesn't need to if used correctly.

It all depends on how and where it was applied - and of course how the car is used, wrap re-applied, properly sealed if near areas that get wet regularly etc.

If done correctly by someone with experience, with the right materials, for the specific use etc, it can last a long time and with little risk of rot - the benefits far outweigh the risks when done right.

@Alan83 : if it has been on a while and you have noticed a lot of steam etc for a while I would recommend to take it off... inspect the exhaust to make sure it is not rotting (on stainless looks like pitting and/or can look like aluminium that's been overheated or near melting - can tap with small pick hammer to test integrity of the material structure and the sound can be a give-away as it should be relatively clear and if there are areas that sound very dull they need extra investigation).
If applied to a normal mild steel exhaust it will definitely rot and would not recommend you apply wrap to that unless you are prepared to replace exhausts very regularly (not feasible on a daily and maybe only makes sense on a budget track/rally car where 2nd hand exhausts can be got for a song and a dance in the breakers).
If applied to good quality stainless (300 or 400 series alloy and NOT 200 series cheap alloys) wrap can last a long time without adverse effects on the exhaust - provided the wrap is applied correctly (correct width wrap for the application, not too much or too little overlap, even cover to ensure even temps without cold/hot spots, tight as a drum, wrapped bottom to top (or rear/back to front) to ensure any moisture runs smoothly along the finished result instead of encountering ridges of the next layer where moisture can then sit and over time work in on the wrap, well secured with stainless exhaust wire and/or stainless tie-wraps)... and sealed with correct sealer in any areas likely to regularly encounter road spray / water -- or areas higher up that could have oil or other flammable liquids soak into unsealed wrap (and cause a fire very quickly indeed).

@Jock: VHT paint is great for some corrosion protection and making tired exhausts look a bit nicer. It won't insulate heat sufficiently though. If someone is looking at wrapping to better manage temps (exhaust gas flow and under bonnet ambient) the VHT or other high heat paints will not help.

@Gary Sti: All wraps will smell for the first while (can be as long as a couple of thousand miles depending on how the car is driven)... especially wraps that are sealed. The smell will disappear though as soon as the wrap is fully cured (the hotter the quicker it cures).

Sorry everyone - bit of a long post folks, but hope it helps to better inform members on wrapping.

Water drops down from the drivers vent in the bonnet, you could make up a shield that hangs over that side of the manifold to keep it dry .

Back