Clutch question

MARTINGTI

Octane Boostaholics
The last track day i done in the celica at the end of the day i found a few times it was hard to drop back to second gear. Didn't think much of it. Put it down to me getting tired! Anyway i started the car for the first time since yesterday and its harder than normal to select mist gears. Especially 1st and reverse. Anyway it needs a clutch! And with the ISDC day around the corner now im tight enough on time. So two questions,

1, do i get a normal exedy clutch for €100. That's what was in it and held up for 9 track days and whatever length it was in the car before i got it. Or, buy a competition clutch for 4 or €500 euro? Is there really much to be gained with the dearer one?

2, whichever one i go with whats the story with bedding it in, given the fact that its a track car and cant go on the road, and the ISDC day is so close!!!!

Cheers folks

If the standard one felt ok on track with no slip issue then I'd say so for it. I had to upgrade as the standard Clutch couldn't take the extremes of racing and I ended up wrecking two of them. Getting it hard to find gears may be just new gear oil needed or worse case synchros going. The updated clutch is a great investment if you are going to race,sprint or hill climb the car as the hard launch would eventually stress a standard clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I done about 50 miles on my Helix clutch for bedding in on a private road and it was fine. So I'd imagine standard clutch would take less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good man Adrian, cheers. When i fitted the LSD a while back i knew the clutch would need doing in a while so im not surprised. And it got new oil that time so id be confident enough its the clutch.

Will you upgrade the clutch Martin what's out there for them it looked to be flying the last day ...love reading about these track cars ...

Don't think i will to be honest. Standard exedy is what was in it. And its taken some abuse. I can get a new one for less than 100 euro... Anything updated is the likes of an exedy stage 2 but your looking at maybe 400... And then serious minding it bedding in etc. Think ill just swap for a new standard exedy and let her rip again! ????

Back