Stupid question about mapping and disconnecting the battery

gttjohn

Sunday Drivers
Hi I had my car mapped a few weeks back by aongus power and in a few weeks time I'm doing a service I'm going to remove a few things to get to the plugs as it's a jdm legacy gen 4 turbo, any way if I disconnect the battery does the standard ecu which was mapped reset itself and go back to factory map. I feel a bit thick asking this question but I can't stop thinking about it ,any of you guys know ?

Hi I had my car mapped a few weeks back by aongus power and in a few weeks time I'm doing a service I'm going to remove a few things to get to the plugs as it's a jdm legacy gen 4 turbo, any way if I disconnect the battery does the standard ecu which was mapped reset itself and go back to factory map. I feel a bit thick asking this question but I can't stop thinking about it ,any of you guys know ?

No such thing as a stupid question - Should be safe as houses - A rally car has the master switch disconnected the majority of the time and all maps are safe on the ECU.

Disconnect earth first - reconnect earth last. And try to have no load on reconnection eg. interior lights because doors are open, dreaded aftermarket alarms, or worse still ignition on.... things like that. It reduces the chances of any spiking on reconnection.

When your car is being mapped, the original map is getting rewritten by whatever the mapper is putting in and being saved on chip that works just as your old hard drive would. So disconnecting it and starving from power will not remove whats written there.

Back