Restrictor Pill

Owain

Sunday Drivers
Hi my Blob WRX is only running 0.5 bar boost and after doing some digging this appears to be waste gate pressure, which can be caused by the restrictor pill missing from the vacuum line from the turbo to the waste gate (mine has some horrible aftermarket hoses). If anyone has one of these lines with the pill that would be a great help.
SubaruBoostSystem_1.jpg

Attachments

• SubaruBoostSystem_1.jpg
    SubaruBoostSystem_1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 75
a missing pill would drop the boost - but not down to gate pressure as the 2port solenoid would still be able to raise you up above that. It's also possible the ECU is in limp mode - when it hears enough knock it pulls back timing to a point where it also turns off the boost solenoid to drop the boost down to try and keep the engine alive.

If you don't have a pill handy, take yourself off to the local welding shop and pickup a 1.1mm welding tip. With a bit of hot water to soften the pipe you'll be able to force it into your fancy hose. If you still have boost issues after that you should get the laptop out and check things over it should be very easy to check the IAM value and see what if it's dropped.

a missing pill would drop the boost - but not down to gate pressure as the 2port solenoid would still be able to raise you up above that. It's also possible the ECU is in limp mode - when it hears enough knock it pulls back timing to a point where it also turns off the boost solenoid to drop the boost down to try and keep the engine alive.

If you don't have a pill handy, take yourself off to the local welding shop and pickup a 1.1mm welding tip. With a bit of hot water to soften the pipe you'll be able to force it into your fancy hose. If you still have boost issues after that you should get the laptop out and check things over it should be very easy to check the IAM value and see what if it's dropped.

Great thanks for your help, I'll give that a try. It'll just hit 0.6 in 4th. I tried the trick of hitting the demister while high in the gears but no difference. I need to try cleaning the boost solenoid but I don't have any carb cleaner ATM

You can buy the pill kit off subaru for €25. Had to get one couple years ago and i ordered it in local subaru dealer, comes with new pipes and pill in the pipe

Great thanks for your help, I'll give that a try. It'll just hit 0.6 in 4th. I tried the trick of hitting the demister while high in the gears but no difference. I need to try cleaning the boost solenoid but I don't have any carb cleaner ATM

that only works if there's an ECUTek map switching rom on the car, if your ever up my way I can plug it and tell you straight away if there's a license/map on there and if its in limp mode or not (in which case it's likely not your solenoid but something else).

I've no idea bout this stuff but I've a Oem Denso 2 port there in a box if you think it might help..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've no idea bout this stuff but I've a Oem Denso 2 port there in a box if you think it might help..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Me neither I've started a new thread in the technical Q & A as I realized this isn't the issue (i think), cheers though

Back