Turbo charging a N/A car?

MARTINGTI

Octane Boostaholics
Anyone ever turbo charge a normally aspirated car? I'm toying with the idea of a turbo for my celica track car. I have a contact that can get me the Garrett turbo but what else would I need? Ecu, injectors, intercooler etc? I'm not looking to go massive power just add maybe 80-100bhp.

You can buy kits online for 3,000 dollars but they cover up to 450bhp! I dont want that. Extra 80bhp would do me fine....

Any suggestion or thoughts are more than welcome.

Oh ya, the car is a 2003 celica tsport 190bhp. Engine is 2zzge.

As Jay said, supercharger kit. SC can be better for track use aswell as more linear power curve and can be switched on/off.

I had both on my own celica and the turbo was just too much hassle. Had to have a fifth injector and ran like sh*t. The turbo didn't suit the long gear ratios at all and that was with t28 ball bearing turbo. The supercharger on the other hand was far better gave better torque and was a totally better car to drive altogether. The next challenge you will have is finding the kit. You might be better off buying a supercharged Levin the ae101 and taking the supercharger out of that. It's the same charger.

Sound lads. Had thought about a supercharger too. But getting one will be the problem. New they are making massive money! Couldn't justify the price of a new one for a track day Toy!

Look for someone breaking an ae101 they go for cheap and will give you about 60hp extra maybe a little more with a decent intercooler and map

I was thinking of forced induction myself Martin. But the more I looked at it the less options it left me with in terms of reliability and events to race in. I think a good NA engine making around 220/240 bhp on a good chassis should be more than enough around mondello. If you look at Itcc the mix in power is crazy but the times are in the tents between them. To get the best from turbo you would probably need to loose compression and run a stand alone ecu which is over 1k straight away. Getting a Big wallop of power from a turbo could cause loss of traction and cause a lot of extra stress on the car. Not sure if you have had your car mapped but that might be a better option or even buy an omex 720 and rewire the car on proper management. This could give you nice gains and leave the car very drivable. Also if you had good management you could look at fitting bike throttle bodies cheap enough and still stay in the safe zone. If I was to go forced it would be super charger for me. I drove Dec's Cooper and it's power delivery is so smooth and and just keeps pulling nice through the rev range. 190 bhp is nice power in them as standard so making it even lighter again would also help quite a bit[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't beat the instant throttle response of a nice N.A

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks lads. Will stay as I am at the minute. You'd just always like to fire it down the straights quicker! ????

I have seen plenty of turbo stuff around mondello Martin and by the time they are on boost you are right with them and sometimes they are In your way through the bends..

Timmos integra was a great example of this thing was set just right and had just enough usable power everywhere was a quick car

Ya true. Iv seen that myself. But what iv found with the celica and the cam lift that kicks in at 6,000rpm up to 8,200rpm that I'm always keeping the revs very high so when I exit the corner I'm nearly hitting the lift. So that being the case I was thinking if I had a turbo on it I could exit at4,000rpm, turbo is well spooled at that which would get me up to the 6,000rpm for the lift to kick in. See, I had it all planned out! ????????

Heard there is a way to make hi lift come in earlier on em before no idea how

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

A good map on omex 720 could adjust that that for you Martin. And maybe look at a gear kit that would keep in the correct gear for that vvti.

Omex 600 can do vtec but 720 can do vvti. I know this as Dec was looking into an ecu for the Ka and his would be similar to vvti.

Cheers Adrian. Where would be a good place to go for one of those? And what kinda yoyo's you looking at?

Would the Apex power fc be the same thing? Guy on donedeal breaking a celica exact same as mine and he has one for sale off it....

Back