help!

TurboPaul

brother of a pal just put petrol (€20) in his diesel, hyundai tuscan, hes in athy now, any suggestions appreciated

I'm not sure, but I think it will help others answer your query if we knew how much diesel was already in the tank.

I think sometimes its ok if there is more of the correct fuel in the tank than the wrong fuel

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Did the same ages ago in a company van. I never realized until l drove and the van just died on me I just drained all fuel from the tank filled up with diesel and it was fine. I dont know how it is with newer diesels

Hard to say. If she'll run, let it. Can he pull a return line and put it in to a jerry can to drain it quicker then refill with fresh. Have they a 60 or 75 litre tank? Should be enough to dilute it. It'll run rough but once it's not cutting out it should be ok.

Ring the insurance breakdown line and see if he's covered for a misfuel.

Don't drive it

And fill it to the neck with Deizel will be grand

Drive her on then the small amount of petrol should make no odds

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fill it lad in work done the same about €15 worth of petrol I rang mechanic and said once there's two thirds diesel in it when full should be ok and it was if he does fill top up again when he gets home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hes gonna ring that crowd, new car and all that, he doesnt8want to risk it. id probably be the same, if it was €10 or so probably risk it

thanks for all the replies

Did this myself recently in the caddy put 25 petrol in didn't care for the caddy as it was on its last legs. Filled the rest up with diesel and funnily enough it cleaned out the injectors which I was having a problem with. You can usually buy an additive in the shop if this happens.

Did this myself recently in the caddy put 25 petrol in didn't care for the caddy as it was on its last legs. Filled the rest up with diesel and funnily enough it cleaned out the injectors which I was having a problem with. You can usually buy an additive in the shop if this happens.

I do the same with the Audi. I'll throw a tenner petrol in every now and then.

Newer engines can be a bit higher strung and if there's too much the ECU just says no and cuts it out.

2012 caddy. I'd chance it but then again I wouldn't want to feck up a new car. I can't imagine it doing much damage because it would be fairly diluted plus diesel would be heavier than petrol. Fill it up and then just at the half way mark fill it again at least then it's not going right down the end on petrol.

Biggest concern would be lubrication of pump and injectors.
As lads said, fill with diesel... and maybe if was 20 quid of petrol put in 2 of the little two stroke chainsaw oil bottles. That way you know that it will be lubricated enough. And indeed fill again with diesel when 1/4 tank gone.

Thanks god diesel pump nozzle doesn't fit in the subaru otherwise l would have fock myself one day being deep into a conversation with a friend and not paying attention.

he ended up paying the aa to fully drain tank then pushed it backnto the pump to refill. didnt want to risk anything. cost 250, costly exercise but not the end of the world.

thanks for advice

i worked in a petrol station years ago, owned by 2 mechanics. advice was always diesel in petrol, drain. petrol in diesel fill to the brim with diesle and youll be ok. that was 30 odd years ago though

Back