Steering issue

J22b

Hi everyone
Just new here but hope someone could help I have a 2002 Jdm sti and lately when I turn the steering wheel there is a knocking noise when turning on full lock or like a scraping noise on lesser turns and u can feel it through the steering wheel would anyone have a idea what it could be only think I can think off is a driveshaft buts getting to the point I'm nervous to drive it so any ideas or anyone know any good mechanics could u let me know :)

Nothing in a straight line it's perfect brought it jomo engineering and he is pretty certain it's the front diff it's like it's locking by my bug-eye hasn't dccd so no idea exactly other than that

I'll try to but I think he is on the right track I noticed one of the shafts going into the gearbox has a good bit more play than the other here's hoping it's the culpred although unlikely, any idea how bad of a job it is to remove the front diff from the gearbox

No makes no difference and only got new oil in the front and rear diff and made no difference only thing is if u turn with the car in netural it's fine which leads me to think it's the front diff

I'd be looking at the centre diff .
You can drive on as well with it like this until you have the cash to replace .

Ali Burrows is where I'd be taking it. The place you have it being diagnosed wouldn't have the experience working on gearboxes .

J22B, I am interested to know how your investigation progresses, I may has the early beginnings of the same issue on my car.Your description of "scraping noise" when turning sounds errily familiar to me. I have emailed Ali Burrows for an appointment based on inputs to this thread, currently awaiting a reply from them. Of course I will keep you posted on what I learn.

My Car Details
Model: Impreza Turbo 2000 [Irish Model]
Year: March 1999
ODO: 151K
Engine Mods: None
Suspension Mods: Eibach Spring Upgrade @ 94K

Good luck to you.

Isn't Ali burrows in the UK? I'd agree that could be the case I've nearly really heard of the front diff giving issues in them but of course I'd have to get the exception to the case by the looks of it lol yeah I'll happily keep u posted I have left with a garage I trust near home to look into it and sort it so I'll keep things updated to what I find out just sicking kinda kinda killing my enjoyment of the car I only got it lol, what symptoms is ur classic showing? Mine just kinda came into it all of a sudden

The issue I feel is in the early stages because I don't notice it very much, it is not intrusive to my driving of the car but the scraping noise did get my attention.

Symptoms:
  • Audible "scraping" noise when turning hard left, slow speed junction turn.
  • Intermittent in nature, don't notice it always.
  • Does not transmit through the steering wheel, no vibration or effects felt through my hands.

My car just completed it's NCT last Tuesday, so those guys had the car up on the lift performing rudimentary suspension and geometry checks, nothing was flagged. The side-slip/alignment figures matched historical [I have NCT reports for the past decade for this car] and the suspension imbalance has not changed much between 2014 & now.

The car does have oil leaks, slow weeping of oil at the RHS rocker cover and underneath the engine compartment where the engine connects to the transmission. The oil drops from underneath the car are black in colour and previous inspections by my local garage reassured me the leak is from the engine gaskets rather than the diff.

The car is scheduled for an inspection next Tuesday so hopefully an experienced eye will diagnose and offer guidance to contain or fix the issue. My checklist for next Tuesday

1. Diff inspection
2. CV Joint inspection
3. Suspension and bushings inspection
4. Confirm sources of oil leak and impact to engine and/or diffs.

PS:
Inputs from experienced GC8 owners on the forum would be appreciated.

Isn't Ali burrows in the UK? I'd agree that could be the case I've nearly really heard of the front diff giving issues in them but of course I'd have to get the exception to the case by the looks of it lol yeah I'll happily keep u posted I have left with a garage I trust near home to look into it and sort it so I'll keep things updated to what I find out just sicking kinda kinda killing my enjoyment of the car I only got it lol, what symptoms is ur classic showing? Mine just kinda came into it all of a sudden

In northern Ireland, dungannon, short enough spin from dublin

So far no joy bringing it to gearbox and diff rebuilder place in Dublin to have a look as they think it's the transfer case or the center diff pending they can source the parts to fix it, worse case if I had to source another 6 speed anybody ideas what it would cost and where to get it?

I would advise buy no parts. Until noise diagnosed. It may not even be box related

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'd agree just trying to build a ballpark figure of what the different options could cost on top of a few other jobs i have as well to do on it.

I understand

But absolutely no one on here can guess or diagnose on line

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Naturally, I was trying to see if anyone had the same problem or experienced something similar

So finally got it sorted the front diff had gotten tight or seized it would seem and broken some of the teeth in it a big thanks to Ali burrows can't recommend them enough

Back