Suspension Setup

If I were in your shoes which I think I will be in a few weeks. I would just save for what your budget can allow and get new coilovers that have been proven by other drivers in ireland. Get as many reviews as you can. Do it once and do it right. :54:

I had bc coilovers and found them the best on our roads. They were in a classic weren't too bouncy except for the m7 between Newbridge and naas lol. I had Tein coilovers and swapped them for a full shock and spring and found that the springs were better than the coilovers.
By far the best suspension I have ever had in a blob eye was ohlins shocks and springs. If you can fork out the money for them or even get a second hand set and rebuild them they are worth their weight in gold.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks. FYI: Quote I received recently from a Subaru dealer for OEM STI
Front shocks- 169.01 + VAT each
Rear shocks- 181.70 + VAT each

I installed Eibach springs on my car back in '08 @ 94,300 miles, the car presently has 150K, I now wonder if it would be prudent to replace the springs also, match STI Shocks/Springs + Mounts? I still have the original springs that are 94K young.

The reason I make these enquiries of ye lads is because the handling feels vague in the high speed corners. I know the full history of this car, it has only had one owner from new.......me! I bought the car new back in '99 so I know the original shocks are in the car.

Thanks once again,
Ciaran

I just got off the shelf BC coilovers for the type r and same for a blob eye, and I would say 3 clicks up from softest setting is similar to standard STI SUSPENSION

What springs are in the "off the shelf" Bc's?

Standard spring rate is 5 on front and 4 on the back for a classic I specced them with the help of scoobycolm and advice from a few lads with 4 and 3 makes for a savage drive on the road

Standard spring rate is 5 on front and 4 on the back for a classic I specced them with the help of scoobycolm and advice from a few lads with 4 and 3 makes for a savage drive on the road

I was chatting with mesiter r about there crd coil-overs and there spring rates.

They said for a classic 6/5 was there standard spring and was v.compliant on the road. They only offered a 5/4 spring, but at an extra £50. They didnt recommend 4/3 with there coilovers as they said they wouldn't suit there damping

I did mention bumpy irish roads, but that might not have meant much to a uk support team.

Unsure which to choose from, 4/3 BC's or 5/4 Mesiters

I'm swinging toward the 4/3 BC's atm

Last edited:
4/3 would be near same as factory which is good and the bc 's are valved to suit. Also more travel/droop on the dampers on the 4/3 compared to the 5/4.
Ideal for road use

I was chatting with mesiter r about there crd coil-overs and there spring rates.

They said for a classic 6/5 was there standard spring and was v.compliant on the road. They only offered a 5/4 spring, but at an extra £50. They didnt recommend 4/3 with there coilovers as they said they wouldn't suit there damping

I did mention bumpy irish roads, but that might not have meant much to a uk support team.

Unsure which to choose from, 4/3 BC's or 5/4 Mesiters

I'm swinging toward the 4/3 BC's atm
I'd go 4 and 3 it's what I did and after fully poly bushing the car and fitting an anti lift kit it's comfortable still and imo better than new age sti standard shocks,I find them savage ????

I'd go 4 and 3 it's what I did and after fully poly bushing the car and fitting an anti lift kit it's comfortable still and imo better than new age sti standard shocks,I find them savage ????

Maybe I'll go down that route so!

How do you find the poly bushes and anti lift kit?

Worth doing?

Unreal difference lad although the bushings weren't gone putting the updated ones in makes it so much better,the car feels planted on the road and handles great in corners well worth it imo. For the money it's hard to pass bc they're tried and tested ????

Back