Suspension Setup

pugtk

Sunday Drivers
Hi All,

Ive tein coilovers fitted to my type r which are due a rebuild.

Im after a new setup for bumpy irish tar.

I want a small drop of 20-40 mm.

Coilovers or shock/spring combo.

This car is for driving, not a stance machine.

Any recommendations?

If it was me I'd be going for one of the tein range again, depending on your budget but I'd be getting one that is edfc compatible great system softer than standard and at the flick of a switch hard hell or anywhere in between. I like the old controller you just pick what you want front settings or back to be.
The new controller is active so it's constant adjustment as your on the move sounds great but little stepper motors working a couple of hundred times a minute just screams problems to me.
I know a Lad has it on his spec c (the old system) and loves it and he drives it on....and on mountain roads

Last edited:
The GPS allows you to program your settings so the car knows it's coming to turn 1 in mondello so it set to a preset setting that you picked for that corner the moves to the next corner and so on .......but that function is only available on the new system, the old one you have to push buttons yourself to change settings

Funny that I was looking at the edfc active pro, but my teins on the soft settings seem way to hard, again they just need a rebuild I cant base anything on them.

Ive set them on full soft just to see if I could get some feel for them but they were no different

I'm going to raise them and check the preload. I might have a crack at building them, i might be able to get seals at a hydraulic ram place

Last edited:
Funny that I was looking at the edfc active pro, but my teins on the soft settings seem way to hard, again they just need a rebuild I cant base anything on them.

Ive set them on full soft just to see if I could get some feel for them but they were no different

I'm going to raise them and check the preload. I might have a crack at building them, i might be able to get seals at a hydraulic ram place

japanese performance Wicklow think that's the name rebuild and probably supply individual parts
there the Irish Tein Distributor

The bottom of the range Teins are not viable to repair cost wise, Tein charge an arm and leg.

I have had BC on a few cars and I've always found them good value, I have never had to rebuild one but I think they run at 100-120 per strut to completely rebuild..
Bought new Teins before for a Supra, and had them on cars I bought and I found them a bit shite to be honest, at least the entry level range were, you got nothing for your money either, where with BC you get quite a lot

I don't think id bother sending the teins off rebuild, I'm going to strip them down myself and see if I can get the seals in a hydraulic ram place near myself. If it doesn't work out, they can go in the skip.

Then my options would either be BC or Meisters, Meisters are seemingly better for our bumpy roads, Id probably get one of the softer spring options.

Its near 1k regardless for either good struts/springs or mid entry coilovers

Is it the BR series your running?

Where did your find was the best priced place to get them?

Yeah man be series and I got them through scoobycolm don't think he's doing them but maybe send him a pm. Best prices is probably in the UK check apex performance I think they're the main distributors in UK

I just got off the shelf BC coilovers for the type r and same for a blob eye, and I would say 3 clicks up from softest setting is similar to standard STI SUSPENSION

Guys,

looking for the general consensus here on this question, would ye ever purchase an STI Suspension from a dismantlers? Particularly a suspension that fits a '99 GC8 Irish Turbo 2000 model, meaning the suspension would be coming of an equally old car to be compatible? This is probably an oxymoron but I thought I would ask none the less.

BTW, another question, do suspensions have a finite life? Does the performance deteriorate badly over time or do ye guys replace on failure?

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran

Obviously being 2nd hand all bets are off...
You will just have to weight up the cost against the risk.
I'd probably take a chance at 150-200 for a full fresh dry looking set... but it's a buying a pig in a bag scenario..

They are an old car at this stage, and only hope it had an sti dampener replacement done was when the car was back in Japan.

If I were in your shoes which I think I will be in a few weeks. I would just save for what your budget can allow and get new coilovers that have been proven by other drivers in ireland. Get as many reviews as you can. Do it once and do it right. :54:

I had bc coilovers and found them the best on our roads. They were in a classic weren't too bouncy except for the m7 between Newbridge and naas lol. I had Tein coilovers and swapped them for a full shock and spring and found that the springs were better than the coilovers.
By far the best suspension I have ever had in a blob eye was ohlins shocks and springs. If you can fork out the money for them or even get a second hand set and rebuild them they are worth their weight in gold.

Obviously being 2nd hand all bets are off...
You will just have to weight up the cost against the risk.
I'd probably take a chance at 150-200 for a full fresh dry looking set... but it's a buying a pig in a bag scenario..

They are an old car at this stage, and only hope it had an sti dampener replacement done was when the car was back in Japan.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Back