Need help

Jarocki

Petrolheads
ISDC Club Member
So i changed the car oil last week and being the good Samaritan i waited until today to dispose of the oil accordingly in the depot around the corner. had the oil in the boot in the container but not closed properly. So basically i could smell oil and thought the worst. the container had opened and spilled all over the boot. approx 3litres. Subaru legacy GT estate 2006. Luckily my boot is lined with the rubber/plastic boot protector which i would say stopped 90% of the oil from spilling further. However oil did get onto the side panels in the boot/ back of rear seats. also dripped down in boot well. I spent about 5 hours cleaning up so frustrating but now i have the issue of oil on the panels that i could take out and the sides in the boot itself. can anyone recommend somewhere around dublin that may be able to help to get the oil off the panels that i could take off and clean the oil off the parts it got onto around the boot. See photo of what i took off and now has oil on it.

Anyones help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170407_201222_resized.jpg
    20170407_201222_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
Would a power washer or even wet/dry vac machine be any use on the carpeted panels? Maybe if they soaked in detergent first it might work. I think you can hire them in woodies cheap enough, been meaning to look into one for my own interior for a freshen up.
Otherwise maybe some of the good car detailing places might be able to help? or at least save you a heap of time!

thanks i tried ian on the number available but out of service but maybe he closes on saturdays. Have them out drying in the sun. Cleaned them with fairy liquid and warm water as best i could but can still feel the oil:icon_sad:

You won't get far with a detergent initially - it just doesn't break down the oil enough.

Need something that the actually dilutes the oil... so petrol or alcohol etc.
In the past I have used petrol in a "rough" spray gun (the kind you use for apply thick under seal etc) and about 5-8 bar pressure from the compressor. Those guns are cheap if you don't have one (usually come with cheap multi kits or 30-40 new on its own).

Once most of the oil is washed away with that (and you will see from the run off whether clean yet or not), then you can use a soapy detergent to get the last bit (and the petrol smell off). I personally would use hot water with laundry detergent for the last phase. Again use that gun to blow it on with pressure as especially the covering on the side panels, but also carpets, can get very worn and "fuzzy" from using a brush and (too much) mechanical action.

If you don't have (access to) a gun or compressor... then it is almost impossible to get it anywhere near clean. In that case might be cheaper to buy replacements from a breakers (wouldn't be much demand for those bits and should be cheap enough).

thanks very much for your very detailed advise. I do think you are right but chances of a breaker having those parts are slim. any idea where i might have these parts for sale.I found one there in galway but not sure what he has left/price. thanks.

Brake cleaner is a great man
Got oil out of my boot carpet
Got one of them 3 lt pump things and just sprayed it on did a great job and just evaporate after about an hour

Back