Ford Transit Connect L2 (LWB)

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying a 2016/17 Ford Transit Connect in the next few months. Does anyone have experience with them?

I'm currently driving an old shape 06 Transit connect and it's bloody awful noisy, gutless piece of sh*t. I've read good reviews on the new ones that they are a vast improvement but I'm curious of peoples experience with them. I'm doing a large enough daily commute - about 80% motorway and the remaining 20% is bad roads up in the hills.

I'll take one for a test drive soon, but would love to know what they are like to live with day to day.

Cheers,

J...

Can't speak for the old connect but we had 2016 one in work last year for wheelchair transport and it was very good, same engine as the focus and more or less drives like the focus and that was without a solid bulkhead, no rattling and nice and quiet but we got a caddy this year and it's streets ahead. Might be worth lookin into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great van doesn't compare to the old one. Get a trend model will have painted bumpers. A/c heated screen and 3 front seats. Nice on the road but try for the 100bhp the 75 is a bit slack could cost you another 1k but worth it. Also the long wheel Base one I think looks better on the road but an extra 1k aswell. All round good van I reckon and looks better than the new caddy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Very good van, don't give much trouble at all very car like to drive as above look for a trend model for nicer spec also try find the higher bhp model as there much nicer to drive

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I seen on fb that joe power chipped a 75hp connect up to 136hp, tdr performance is the page

Cheers lads.. confirmed what I thought!!

Yep... definitely after the Trend model. Much nicer spec alright. The initial attraction was how it looked over the Caddy - they are a good looking yoke.... especially the M-Sport version (way out of my budget) :(

I know they are not as powerful as the VW but a remap might sort that as you say Dave. I must have look at the TDR page.

Thanks all.

I know they are not as powerful as the VW but a remap might sort that as you say Dave.
Thanks all.

vw stuff is massively over rated , have had 4 transporters over the years and they have gradually gotten worse in terms of reliability , power and fuel consumption.

have a 161 transporter 140 bhp model and compared to the 08 130 tdi it isn't half the van . no power and drinks diesel . few of the lads have gotten 171 transits and reckon they are better than the vw's they had . space , power and economy wise .

imagine the transit connect is much the same story compared to the caddy

Friend of mine has a 151. They are dog slow. You wouldn't even know they're turbo. As said Joe Power has managed to reverse engineer and crack their ECU.

They're very car like to drive with a long dashboard and a bit of height.

Talk to Joe amd Dec before buying as I think all hardware is the same on them, just the ECU that's limiting the base models.

Save a couple grand and remap.

Have a 14 reg LWB for work, 75bhp but was tweeked to 105.. had the older shape and there is no comparison in comfort and quietness, like a car really.. but don't ask me how someone is supposed to sit in the 3rd seat lol..

There doesn't seem to be much heart in them to pull, but I reckon they are possibly a bit highly geared for economy, at the cost of acceleration. I'd say I'm averaging 40mpg.
They are by far the best van out there and are a good looking van.. mine was a base model but just got front bumper and corner pods colour coded.

Whatever you do, don't buy a new Vivaro. I work for Opel in parts and we have four vans in for blown turbos. Pieces of worthless metal.

Friend of mine has a 151. They are dog slow. You wouldn't even know they're turbo. As said Joe Power has managed to reverse engineer and crack their ECU.

They're very car like to drive with a long dashboard and a bit of height.

Talk to Joe amd Dec before buying as I think all hardware is the same on them, just the ECU that's limiting the base models.

Save a couple grand and remap.

Cheers John

Have a 14 reg LWB for work, 75bhp but was tweeked to 105.. had the older shape and there is no comparison in comfort and quietness, like a car really.. but don't ask me how someone is supposed to sit in the 3rd seat lol..

There doesn't seem to be much heart in them to pull, but I reckon they are possibly a bit highly geared for economy, at the cost of acceleration. I'd say I'm averaging 40mpg.
They are by far the best van out there and are a good looking van.. mine was a base model but just got front bumper and corner pods colour coded.

Thank Christ there is no comparison Ken, as the 06 one I've got at the moment is a f**king awful noisy, slow and uncomfortable yoke. What were you charged for the tweak? Going to aim for the Trend model as thee kit seems better... although I had thought of just going the base model and getting the bumper, pods etc wrapped if white.

Very good van, don't give much trouble at all very car like to drive as above look for a trend model for nicer spec also try find the higher bhp model as there much nicer to drive

Quick question for you Dec... is the automatic a bad idea? Are manuals better or is there little difference?

Having trouble with my left knee these days and a clutch free van is becoming more appealing!

If your knee is fixable, then fix it don't drag it as its only going to get worse, instead of adjusting the van :54:

Quick question for you Dec... is the automatic a bad idea? Are manuals better or is there little difference?

Having trouble with my left knee these days and a clutch free van is becoming more appealing!
The automatic is rare enough Jamie, not a bad box it's kind of on the same vain as a vw dsg box real nice to drive but I'd worry about resale after your finished with it might not be a big market for it. Other thing to remember is servicing cost on the box is high oil and filter change every 60k km and oil is from memory 30-40 a litre X 6-7 litres. Probably best stick with manual

The ecu flash I think was around €350.
The reason for going with the base model is really because you will have more of them available, coming back in from fleet lease etc etc.. it tends to be base model that is plentiful.. if buying new it's not going to be a factor for you.

Back