Am I in trouble?

STi Type R

Sunday Drivers
97 JDM STi.

Background - deep breath:

Full timing belt kit, water pump & tensioner etc. done around 3 months ago. Oil change/coolant change etc. all by a mechanic.

Car has been on stands since due to brake upgrades replacing other bits and pieces etc. when I got a chance.

Finally took it out last week for a spin and NCT (around 150KM) and afterwards could see a bit of smoke from left side of engine as you look into engine bay from front. Under the air intake/MAF. Seems to be down low, so assumed it was burning off spilled oil/PS fluid. Smoke levels did reduce although I can still get a smell when I open bonnet.

No leaks of any kind on ground under car.

Not overheating, fans coming on as usual. Heater blowing hot and cold air as normal. Coolant level normal. Idle with header cap off, not bubbling.

Wasn't worried as everything above checked out ok. Last night though I noticed the oil level has dropped to nearly the halfway mark since I checked it after first saw smoke. (around 300km in total driven).

Oil on dipstick looks fresh. (not white or anything in it). However, I can see a some white a bit down the filler neck. You wouldn't see it unless you actually went looking down the filler, so no idea how long it's there as I've never had reason to check. Wouldn't spot it doing a casual check or topping up oil.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance.

Failed NCT high idle (only just)
Lambda: 0.99 - PASS
CO 0.34% - FAIL (above .30% is fail)
HC 85ppm - PASS

NCT retest is tomorrow night!

Sounds like cam cover seals leaking badly But that's easily spotted from enderneath or above . Stand if front of the car Look down along the chassis leg and the side of the engine at left side with the bonnet open you should be able to to see the oil dripping on to the uppipe and burning off

Fair play Scoobysub, fresh oil leaking at bottom of engine near cover bolt onto uppipe.

Cam cover and rocker cover are the same thing?

Should I get anything else changed while cover is off (bolts, other seals etc.)?

Is it worth doing the other side also even if not leaking? I have never replaced these seals so no idea how old they are.

Thanks again for that.

Worth replacing both rocker cover gaskets and the rubber seals on the bolts too. D/S is generally the side to go first due to heat from turbo.

As above had same myself while back fairly normal for em to weep

left and right side kit do oil and filter while at it and after a few km smell through vents will go away and not a drop of oil used

Got a fright myself

Got kit from UK and Wagon Dec fitted it????

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got kit From Import car parts give lads a ring good service

Not when I bought it

But yea pm scoobycolm here then ????

Slow Engine Oil Leak

Guys,

I have been reading with interest the reports of an oil leak at the rocker covers, driver side. I have the same issue but the car is also leaking at the point where the engine mates to the transmission. Seeking an opinion on the following questions;

Q. Is it the correct thing to do, pull the engine to replace all oil seal gaskets?
Q. The car has the original clutch, would it be prudent to replace the clutch at the same time, when the engine is out?
Q. What complications can I expect from an engine removal will the hoses be able to tolerate the upheaval or should I plan for the replacement of these hoses?

Enclosed below are my car details:
Model: Impreza GC8 Turbo 2000, I am the only owner from new.
Year: 1999
ODO: 157,000 miles
Engine: Original, no mods.

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran

Sounds like the rear crank seal leaking and the cam covers . Yes it would be handier pull the engine and do all the bits that need doing . Also check the clutch and replace and the front crank seal if it hasn't being done , but was probley done with the timing belt .

All your hoses should be ok but if they look poor or brittle replace them there's not that many top and bottom rad hose and a few around the coolant tank :thumbsup:

Check oil separator plate at rear of the engine while u have it out also they tend to leak can be upgraded to metal plate instead of plastic.

Sounds like the rear crank seal leaking and the cam covers . Yes it would be handier pull the engine and do all the bits that need doing . Also check the clutch and replace and the front crank seal if it hasn't being done , but was probley done with the timing belt .

All your hoses should be ok but if they look poor or brittle replace them there's not that many top and bottom rad hose and a few around the coolant tank :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys! I'll be replacing the radiator too, I am slowly losing coolant, something I discovered when doing routine fluid level checks. The reservoir was completely dry, gave me pause for thought.

The metal guard around the exhaust that routes across the front of the engine is in bad shape too, where can a replacement be sourced? Do ye guys have a fav Subaru parts site that ye go to?

Cheers,
Ciaran

I have a d/s rocker gasket and bolt and plug seals if you want sorry theyre off a 96 wrx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys,

I have been reading with interest the reports of an oil leak at the rocker covers, driver side. I have the same issue but the car is also leaking at the point where the engine mates to the transmission. Seeking an opinion on the following questions;

Q. Is it the correct thing to do, pull the engine to replace all oil seal gaskets?
Q. The car has the original clutch, would it be prudent to replace the clutch at the same time, when the engine is out?
Q. What complications can I expect from an engine removal will the hoses be able to tolerate the upheaval or should I plan for the replacement of these hoses?

Enclosed below are my car details:
Model: Impreza GC8 Turbo 2000, I am the only owner from new.
Year: 1999
ODO: 157,000 miles
Engine: Original, no mods.

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran
Yes if clutch also going to be done. Pull the engine

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Back