opinions please...?

Eoinmack

Webmasters
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
So the other day I got a little squeak in the passenger front wheel. Presumed brakes so went to pop em out to have a look (only replaced before Xmas when I got grooved discs, thought the discs ate em quickly)
But when taking off the nuts, I practically had to torque them off if that make sense lol
Long story short, the nuts on the front were apparently for steel wheels, and have sheared completely, as well as shearing the studs. I'll be honest and say I didn't know there was a difference in wheel nuts.
So went on the look for wheel studs and thought about getting spacers too while I'm at it with extended studs.
I'd need extended studs as couldn't use the bolt on type cause studs in the car are goosed. Lol
So question is, I'm thinking 20mm, with extended studs and matching nuts, would this be a bit much in terms of alignment or anything? Camber?

Car is a 2001 legacy btw.

On another note, I don't want to lower the car. Comfort etc, but,,, is there any standard springs from for example a gc8 or something that would lower the ride height whilst still keeping the drivability of the car. I'm not talking about a mad slammed drop, just something to fill the wheel arch gap.

Make sure you know your measurements for spacers, studs and nuts as you don't want the studs hitting your calipers. You need enough thread to go through the spacer and through the hub.

As regards suspension, Eibach pro kit springs will only lower a tad without taking away drive-ability. Used them on my old Hawk and it was the perfect height.

did you check you studs well as I had similar issue and went for new studs and when I was about to replace them it turns out that aluminum from my nuts was caught in the thread and when I clean it the studs were perfect. when it comes to spacers there is a mixed opinions but most say they are bad for the hub bearings. If I have to I would only use small one to clear big brakes etc.

Well I got onto a crowd in England that do 20mm spacers and they said they have studs and nuts to suit, so presume that they'd clear everything if they made to go together uno. Yeah they look cool on, but I don't want to be having to deal with bad camber and alignment and such.
I'll check out them eibach springs too. Are they as good a drive as OEM?

As for studs, trust me, they are well dead. Lol There's a chunk missing from top of one, but half the nut threaded on anyway, so 4 and a 1/2 holding it at the minute lol
I know there's mixed opinions and all that. But as I need new studs, I'm thinking I might as well space em lol

Also, I don't mind changing a bearing, I could live with something like that.
Reckon it would still hold for another few years if replaced.
Had spacers on a civic before and tried everything to get it right but ended up having to pop on new tires literally every three or four months. €135 each too, 225/35/18 ( i know, mad on a civic, the good ol days lol) PAIN!

I don't actually think there's any listed. Can't find any online lol

I think I'll sort the whole spacers problem first and see how she's sitting with them.... if I get em lol

It's worth sending him a pm as he has different suppliers and might be able to get different ones if he can't get eibach

I don't think spacers are bad on a road car as a daily but if you are tracking I wouldn't run them at all,

Definitely won't be tracking it anyway. I might just give it shot sure and see how we go.
I'll give him a message so altogether and see what he can get.
Cheers lads.

Lads what's better, bolt on or extended studs?
Red power are offering bolt on but I'd have to replace studs too then?

Lads would you look at the cut of what came off ????

Attachments

• 14906427168221199167148.jpg
    14906427168221199167148.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58
None man so got lucky I'd say.
They held well again tho, just a little too well lol
Main dealer in killarney sorted me today with new ones

Lucky indeed... but take what you can get lol.

Handy to have Dermot near you... know him about 20 years and a sound man.

Yeah it's ideal man.
Seems a sound man alright, and good to know he's there too. I get the vibe he'd look after you for repeat business

Back