Getting the radio to work on JDM

Jarocki

Petrolheads
ISDC Club Member
Well the car has just arrived and i am trying to get my phone hooked up via bluetooth and none of the buttons seem to be working on the radio. Just the open/close/eject. The translation on the screen seems to say a missing disk. Any advise would be great.
I know i will need a band expander and that the sat nav will never work but i would be very happy with just the band expander and being able to hook up my phone via bluetooth. See a link below to a video sent to me when the car was in japan and this is exactly they way it is now also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_L6j0sk9M&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• P7210813.JPG
    P7210813.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 148
Is it looking for a sat nav disc ?
dont see a button on that For cd
just nav or AV

Last edited:
Is it looking for a sat nav disc ?
dont see a button on that God cd
just nav or AV

Yes i believe so. It is looking for something like that. I used google translate on it and did not do a great job but definately missing something. Any ideas at all? It has bluetooth written on it so assume i can hook my phone up to it.

There is also a usb cable which i can plug into but i could not get any action out of that either. I''m pretty sure the 2 screens work together but not too sure how with all the japanese writing.

No idea
Put a sd card in or cd maybe
wonder if needs a sat nav disc to get operational

Based on the rough translation that i got i get that impression alright. Although if it also functions as a cd player i assume the sat nav disk cannot stay in there. I will have to do a lot of playing around with it at the weekend. I appreciate the quick responses as always. Is there anyone in dublin that people can recommend for this kind of stuff?

Wonder if you have to change source on the dash unit or other radio
for it to power up and it's not of the key

Wonder if you have to change source on the dash unit or other radio
for it to power up and it's not of the key

YEs that is possible. Although with it just being in writing it really is hard to know what to press. The top head unit also functions as readings from the motor, KM/l, % throttle, Battery Voltage, oil, service etc. and i don't want to start pressing stuff and messing with it.

What do you mean by it's not the key?

the unit doesent power on via turning your key in the ignition
at a guess you have to select a source on the radio above e.g. cd or aux for the one below to power up
worth a try as it may be plugged in via the cd changer cable to the other unit or something along those lines

the unit doesent power on via turning your key in the ignition
at a guess you have to select a source on the radio above e.g. cd or aux for the one below to power up
worth a try as it may be plugged in via the cd changer cable to the other unit or something along those lines

YEs i know what you mean. This is possible but the fact that the translation says some card/cd is missing is throwing me off.

No idea
But wouldn't think so
Switch top head unit to cd or aux whatever functionality that has
And press other one
Stick a dvd in to lower one might read the video also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea
But wouldn't think so
Switch top head unit to cd or aux whatever functionality that has
And press other one
Stick a dvd in to lower one might read the video also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have to mess around with it later on although it is all in Japanese so very hard to understand. Anyone in Dublin good at figuring these things out?

Hey everyone. I have attached a photo of what appears on the screen. Maybe someone on here can shed some light better than google translate can.

Attachments

• 20160930_064718.jpg
    20160930_064718.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 133
Well i got an update on this. I got send an SD card along with the cars service history. This got all the functions working on the radio. I cannot however seem to get the bluetooth/usb to connect. I need to spend some time at it with all the japanese writing and try figure it out.

hey. To jump on the back of this thread i got the bluetooth working on the radio and delighted with it. I do however have quite an annoying issue. When i was figuring the radio out i managed to somehow turn on a destination on the sat nav and a lovely japanese girl keeps taking over the radio telling me i am going the wrong direction. It is quite annoying at this stage and i cannot turn it off. I have tried the google translate app but with no luck. Does anyone here speak japanese who may be able to help out? other than that possibly disconnecting the battery may reset it? I assume that would not affect the remap done by AP performance. I believe aonghus said this would not affect his map.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to hear about the radio troubles and I know exactly how you feel as I drove my uncles Nissan Juke for 1 week which had the same issues. Japanese lady voice all over, all the time. In the end we couldn't figure it out even when using Google Translate. He just got an aftermarket double din headunit from Pioneer and it worked without any issues. There might be an option to change the language settings to English but I'm not 100% sure as it depends on manufacturers.

Thanks for the reply. I assume it can be turned off as i can see on the sat nav screen that a route is clearly chosen and the voice is telling me i am going the wrong way. I even used google translate voice when she was speaking. Telling me to turn left/right etc. There has to be a way to turn this off. I do not want to change the radio at the moment.

Stick it up on facebook on a few of the Subaru sites.

I found a jap sticker in mine and put up a photo and someone was able to translate(

Back