Ceramic coating or heat wrap ???

GORDON GT SERIES II

Club Treasurer
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
Right lads as some of you know I picked up a set of rcm headers with a 3 bolt up pipe,I'm in a predicament as to whether to heat wrap them or coat them if I wrap them even using dei heat wrap il get out for maybe 120
if I coat them I was onto a crowd in Cork and they have to be sent to the UK,it will cost including shipping 811 euro now I'm sure it will be cheaper dealing with zircotec direct il ring them tomorrow and price it but it'll still be pricy,does anyone in Ireland do it ??

Not as far as I know

Looked into it few years back when I got my Rcm system

Ceremic seem like the job

Fair few quid though

Ended up not bothering doing this or the wrap

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Easy decision if it were me, it be zirotec coating

It's not cheap, but it will last a lot longer than dei wrap

Know you can get a spray to go over dei wrap to solidify the wrap as 1 piece, see if I can find it

Yeah I thought as much ciaran it'll go to England by the looks of it
Phil I'm leaning to it alright well after getting the quality piece of kit I'd want to prolong it I'd be afraid of the wrap getting wet at times and over time the headers either rot or crack
I'd rather do it once and do it right

Are you running a standard rad? If yes, will the zircotec protect the drain bung on the rad from track temperatures like what happened Baz's when a section of the wrap came off and exposed the exhaust which melted the bung.

Are the headers 2nd hand? Used already? I've heard mixed opinions on how the coating lasts when it's put on already used items compared to new.

I went with heat wrap, and I've never had an issue, just put time into doing it right, and plenty of wire and ties, you could also put a heat reflective material over rad if you were concerned.

Would you buy a new set for the price of coating
Genuine question don't know the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm in two minds Phil it's a lot of coin,I'd have a set of coilovers for that but as you say it would have them safer and @John yes on a standard rad il make my mind up when I ring zircotec direct and get a price surely they'll be cheaper but not a lot

Are the headers 2nd hand? Used already? I've heard mixed opinions on how the coating lasts when it's put on already used items compared to new.

I went with heat wrap, and I've never had an issue, just put time into doing it right, and plenty of wire and ties, you could also put a heat reflective material over rad if you were concerned.

Yeah Ken they're a brand new set of rcm headers and 3 bolt up pipe,it might be the best way as said il ring them zircotec tomorrow and price it and that'll make my decision

@ Ian a brand new set iirc is about 11 sterling coated

Like I said Gordon

Didn't bother with either

Ceremic too expensive

Wrap while good has its down sides too

bolt it on and drive as above????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

800 lids. Not a chance wrap it well and enjoy it [emoji106]
The only correct answer so far.

Not a single hope ceramic coating @ €800 is worth it.

A hi temp paint barrier alongside a top end wrap is the answer financially.

If the budget to go twice as much as the headers.

You buy US brand FULL RACE.

Thats it.

Are you running a standard rad? If yes, will the zircotec protect the drain bung on the rad from track temperatures like what happened Baz's when a section of the wrap came off and exposed the exhaust which melted the bung.
That could have been prevented.

And certainly not by above advice

Gordon... I wrapped and sealed my downpipe with DEI wrap and that spray.
Been on the car for about 30k kms... looks like new and looks good for at least another 60k.
No rot on the pipe, no wear on the wrap.

In all fairness it was wrapped well (very tight with 1/3 overlap) with ss ties and ss wire and then sealed with that DEI spray.

Only thing about the spray is that it takes several days of running the car for it to properly cure -- and it smells a lot during that time... after that... no bother whatsoever.

BTW... the Zircotek stuff is great... but beware as there are some other "brands" out there which are cheaper but no way near as good. Several rally lads I know have had trouble with the cheaper stuff cracking and flaking off.

The only correct answer so far.

Not a single hope ceramic coating @ €800 is worth it.

A hi temp paint barrier alongside a top end wrap is the answer financially.

If the budget to go twice as much as the headers.

You buy US brand FULL RACE.

Thats it.

Dave when you say hi temp paint barrier would you recommend any and would you put it on the headers or just wrap it and then put it over the wrap ?

Back