Night Nav / my first Subaru project

chewypops

Sunday Drivers
May i introduce

unfortunately it doesnt have a turbo. or NCT or Tax but it does have 4wd and its a 2l and i think 125bhp ish

what am i going to do with this awesome beast you ask. well im going to drive it on the road..and through farms..and bogs.. at night..with a navigator. so ya night naving .
what do i know about it? well nothing bar its the man in the pax seat is the important one. and 4 of the rounds are in cork.

I have a good bit of work done so far. but the log book only arrived on tuesday so i have not been able to drive it due to lack of NCT and Tax.
I picked up a pair of 277mm front disks and the larger twin pot calipers, i will be fitting compitition pads and drilled disks as soon as the budget allows.. i have also fitted a pair of seats from a hawk eye wrx. forester turbo struts and springs should be here tomorrow. . i have started to make my sump and diff guards.
i had to find a set of wheels that were a bit less chavtastic and forestry tyres
I was gifted a set of one stage old Hankook G52 forestry tyres . but also managed to pick up another 2 new silverstones plus another 5 pirelli's. to compliment these i now have a choice of standard 5 spokes OR!! Gold speedline corse Acropoli:jack:

most of the night nav stuff is on its way From DemonTweeks. but the question remains.. to fit big red mud flaps or not!

Just back from the Nct . Much shorter fail list than expected. Lambda reading are quite high but with the leaky exhaust and a dirty air filter it's no suprise.
It was my first time driving the car on the road and I have to say it's quite nice.. Yes I wish it had boost but I might stretch to a wrx some day soon:tortoise:
The tyres are pure scrap and it has a a fair bit of body roll which will only get worse with the forester struts so I'm going to have to upgrade the anti roll bars what would people suggest? If they could be picked up second hand that would be nice
image.jpeg

Still waiting on the arrival of all my shiny bits

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 135
Parts have started to arrive. the trip meter is tiny!! so im going to fit it to the passenger side air vent, i was worried it would warrant the removal of the airbag on that side

wheels and more tyres have arrived. i now somehow have way too many tyres...

so with the emissions to sort out , the obvious first job was to fit the big dirty lamps to the front:thumbsup:

Sorry for the lack of up dates. i spent last week giving my soul to the gods of farming at the ploughing match.

struts arrived from RSR, i think i should have enough ground clearance now

Also i got my tyres mounted. maybe its just me but forestry tyres look fupping unreal.

the wheel behind mine is belong to a buddy who is also prepping a night nav car.

i got an interface box the the trip meter, Murrays Motorsport had it in stock so and cheaper than every one else.. while im on about murrays.... i ordered that box at ten to 6 yesterday evening. they rang me back at half 7 to get payment and the part was sitting on my desk in work at ten to 8 this morning. in fairness thats some service..

this weekend im back in the service/gravel crew mode for Owen Murphy in the cork 20.

sorry for the lack of updates. busy days here..

so i managed to get an exhaust. Thanks to Killiano92 for that. fitting of said exhaust was a small pain with the flange on my existing exhaust and the turbo being A, different sizes and B, different angles. but a few hours getting everything lined up correctly had it looking factory.

Had NCT round 2 yesterday. passed so tested till jan 2018:icon_grin:

sorry for the lack of updates. busy days here..

so i managed to get an exhaust. Thanks to Killiano92 for that. fitting of said exhaust was a small pain with the flange on my existing exhaust and the turbo being A, different sizes and B, different angles. but a few hours getting everything lined up correctly had it looking factory.

Had NCT round 2 yesterday. passed so tested till jan 2018:icon_grin:

Good to see she got through the test. Love the lamps! Nice progress with her

also i did a night nav class that is being run in Clonakilty last night. serious crack. the car handles very very well. i did suffer a bit of brake fade so ill change out the fluid for 5.1 tonight.
inside it was a steep learning curve for both myself and my nav. It took me about 10km to start trusting what i was being told. but we soon found our rhythm .. and we got lost a few more times. but again great crack

Nice few more pics there please

We love pics????????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice one

Great to see something different ????????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well that was interesting ....
I spent Saturday making sump guards for my self and another car. then i had to make a double spare wheel holder. i must take a few pictures of them. i think they are quite nice. When we arrived at the event we finally figured out why the map light was only working intermitalnty. dumb ass here wired the power from the door switch, so it only worked when the door was opened :wall:
The first 2 hours of the event are spent getting your plot points and marking them on a map. you are given arrival and departure directions. also you have a set time to be at said points.
we set of at 22.51. first time control is the official start, imagine a rally start , on an open road!!
but unfortunately it was from this point that we started to go very wrong. After TP1 we managed to miss everything up to TP6 and it only got worse. i think my Nav made a small mistake and maybe sensing my stress levels rising started to panic which led to many wrong turns and missed time points. luckily when things were at the worst he found his voice.
We were stopped looking out at the cork mallow road facing the wrong direction with 14 min to reach the mid point control (missing which results in exclusion) in Kilavullen . next thing i know he is calling pace notes off the map with unbelievable accuracy. and we started to hit time points on our set times. then it was in to the forrests, what a laugh, driving blind with no idea where the road was going and the rain reducing visablity to a few feet in front of the bonnet! hitting 90 mph on gravel was an experience to say the least..
the final 15 time points flew by and we managed to finish our first event with the car in one piece and we didnt fall out.

we ended up in 4th out of 7 in our class and are now second in class in the munster championship.
It was a steep learning curve to say the least. but the improvement through out the night was massive.

for the next night i MUST do the clutch. i was nursing it all night. when im doing that i will fit a HI/LOW box. due to the lack of power in the NA i ended up needing gears between gears in the forrest.

so i dont have a whole pile of work before the next night. but we are going to plot the points on the map again and drive the road sections to see where we went wrong.
:desismileys_6328:

Well that was interesting ....
I spent Saturday making sump guards for my self and another car. then i had to make a double spare wheel holder. i must take a few pictures of them. i think they are quite nice. When we arrived at the event we finally figured out why the map light was only working intermitalnty. dumb ass here wired the power from the door switch, so it only worked when the door was opened :wall:
The first 2 hours of the event are spent getting your plot points and marking them on a map. you are given arrival and departure directions. also you have a set time to be at said points.
we set of at 22.51. first time control is the official start, imagine a rally start , on an open road!!
but unfortunately it was from this point that we started to go very wrong. After TP1 we managed to miss everything up to TP6 and it only got worse. i think my Nav made a small mistake and maybe sensing my stress levels rising started to panic which led to many wrong turns and missed time points. luckily when things were at the worst he found his voice.
We were stopped looking out at the cork mallow road facing the wrong direction with 14 min to reach the mid point control (missing which results in exclusion) in Kilavullen . next thing i know he is calling pace notes off the map with unbelievable accuracy. and we started to hit time points on our set times. then it was in to the forrests, what a laugh, driving blind with no idea where the road was going and the rain reducing visablity to a few feet in front of the bonnet! hitting 90 mph on gravel was an experience to say the least..
the final 15 time points flew by and we managed to finish our first event with the car in one piece and we didnt fall out.

we ended up in 4th out of 7 in our class and are now second in class in the munster championship.
It was a steep learning curve to say the least. but the improvement through out the night was massive.

for the next night i MUST do the clutch. i was nursing it all night. when im doing that i will fit a HI/LOW box. due to the lack of power in the NA i ended up needing gears between gears in the forrest.

so i dont have a whole pile of work before the next night. but we are going to plot the points on the map again and drive the road sections to see where we went wrong.
:desismileys_6328:

Sounds like great fun (apart from the stress) can only improve from here :) good stuff and well done. Now I want a night nav car.

Back