Petrol in Ireland

Jarocki

Petrolheads
ISDC Club Member
Hey everyone. Just wondering is Maxol fuel 98 Octane? I have not seen the E5 symol in a long time. As i have my JDM legacy coming in i want to use the best fuel available. I have always been told Maxol is the best. Thanks

Not any more Use to be . I think most is just 95 now. U.K Or north to get 98 or super unleaded :thumbsup:

Yup only "95" available in the republic.

Best bet get it mapped for 95 or use octane booster in with the 95. There lots of debates about whos petrol is best, i personally use topaz as its what my car was mapped on so even if it doesnt make an ounce of difference it gives me peace of mind to run it on that.

On the NA impreza I had, texaco was safe bet - never had issues with petrol from them. Its weird, but the NA hawks are very very sensitive to good petrol.

With Bug WRX, I had no issues with any petrol I put in it - still avoiding the super cheap petrol stations, but Topaz, Maxol, Applewood and Texaco all work just fine.

To answer OP question: If you dare and ring the petrol companies, all you get is 'our petrol is fullfilling these and these requirements' but wont get any real info. So expect that all petrol here is 92 with Ethanol additives to fill in 95octane requirement.

If you are getting car imported from Japan - first thing to do, get it mapped on Irish petrol, its pricy, but better safe then sorry

I know someone that's in the know bout this,

Every now and again I have this conversation with him as things change.

Met him yesterday and all the petrol the same quality all being pulled from same tanks and all 91 octane.

After mixed with ethnol to supposdly bring it up to 95 rarely add enough to bring it to this or sometimes do sent get added at all.

Revenue Regularly test and if over 95 at all the oil companys get fined.

So basically evert main petrol station the same

Asked him bout Techron in Texico said they "say" they add it doesn't mean anything.

Asked him why no Super Unleaded ie 98 ect last few years said oil companies made a decision not to sell it last few years.

and E5 hasn't been around for ages

And the above changes from month to month 2 months ago there was a few tankers from the states and it was a higher over all quality

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so, if petrol in ireland gets more than 95octanes, they are fined, but if its less, its OK? What the **** is wrong with this government?

if it's over 95 at all they get slapped with big fine/penaltys say 95.1????

But yea under its all good ????

Great country????

Ireland is so backwards country at a times.
I remember driving back home to Poland and I stopped at a petrol station in Belgium I fill up 95 by habit and when I went to pay and cashier asked me which pump number and I told him he looked at me with a disgust. he could not believe anyone is using this in his car. LOL

Yes. I plan to getting the car mapped to irish fuel. In the meantime if it take a week or 2 to sort. What is the octane booster to use? Where can i get it around dublin? Sucha shame that there is no marjet for 98 when if people knew how important it was would make a huge difference.Thanks

Yes. I plan to getting the car mapped to irish fuel. In the meantime if it take a week or 2 to sort. What is the octane booster to use? Where can i get it around dublin? Sucha shame that there is no marjet for 98 when if people knew how important it was would make a huge difference.Thanks
4c206efdf58d8a049bfdb339e0843d91.jpg

Nf Black????

Thanks for that Ciaran. I will be in touch closer to the time the car arrives.

Who is the best around to map to irish fuel? Best to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks.

Yes thanks for that. I was having a look a while ago and the 2 names that pop up are Joe Power and Dave in RSR. I was talking to both on the phone also and just a decision of which to go for.

Aunghus in ap performance in glaway is who I used to map for 95 and power map also.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you for that. I will also give him a ring for some advise. I don't mind driving to get the best option.

There is massive debates on mapping and who to go to, as i said i can only talk about my own experience and it would be all too easy for this thread to decend into yet another who is the best argument.

But from mapping with Aunghus my car with basic bolt ons and with the stock cat in the downpipe made a very stable and safe 302bhp/307ftlbs. And touch wood has been running perfect since.

Back