News feed

Have mate in kiwait. He said their fuel prices didnt go up and they suffer from Harvey as much as Ireland did

Photographed by Ken McBee

Tons and tons of flooded cars from Hurricane Harvey, at Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown. Who wants them for cheap.

Four days ago I was involved in a crash in the FIA World RX of Latvia semi-final. Investigations at hospital, first in Latvia and then in Sweden, revealed that I have suffered a broken collarbone and two fractured ribs. I am in a lot of pain. Today it’s been decided that I will undergo an operation on Monday in Sweden to stabilize the collarbone.
I am preparing myself mentally for that operation at the moment, and my intentions are to compete in Germany next weekend. At least I have decided to give it a try, and if it doesn’t work out, I will accept that also.
I was devastated not to be able to celebrate our team’s and Johan Kristoffersson’s World Championship success. Instead I was crying out of pain in the hospital when we secured two World titles. My own and our team’s main target this first season together was to fight for the Team’s Championship, and we reached our goal in the third race from the end. I am extremely proud of what we have achieved as a team and of Johan’s fantastic performance on his way to the first World Champion title. I’m sure there’s more to come!
I’m also extremely focused on what lies ahead, and all my strength is being used to heal my injuries, get enough sleep, rest and the right nutrition.
Thanks for all support! I apologize for not being able to answer back. Still there’s some people that I want to reach out to with a very special Thank You right now!
My wife Pernilla, our son Oliver and the whole PSRX Volkswagen Sweden team.
Doctor Klas-Göran Gravander, 4 x speedway World Champion Monster Energy athlete Greg Hancock and Aleris Karlstad.
Thank you for all your invaluable help!

Four days ago I was involved in a crash in the FIA World RX of Latvia semi-final. Investigations at hospital, first in Latvia and then in Sweden, revealed that I have suffered a broken collarbone and two fractured ribs. I am in a lot of pain. Today it’s been decided that I will undergo an operation on Monday in Sweden to stabilize the collarbone.
I am preparing myself mentally for that operation at the moment, and my intentions are to compete in Germany next weekend. At least I have decided to give it a try, and if it doesn’t work out, I will accept that also.
I was devastated not to be able to celebrate our team’s and Johan Kristoffersson’s World Championship success. Instead I was crying out of pain in the hospital when we secured two World titles. My own and our team’s main target this first season together was to fight for the Team’s Championship, and we reached our goal in the third race from the end. I am extremely proud of what we have achieved as a team and of Johan’s fantastic performance on his way to the first World Champion title. I’m sure there’s more to come!
I’m also extremely focused on what lies ahead, and all my strength is being used to heal my injuries, get enough sleep, rest and the right nutrition.
Thanks for all support! I apologize for not being able to answer back. Still there’s some people that I want to reach out to with a very special Thank You right now!
My wife Pernilla, our son Oliver and the whole PSRX Volkswagen Sweden team.
Doctor Klas-Göran Gravander, 4 x speedway World Champion Monster Energy athlete Greg Hancock and Aleris Karlstad.
Thank you for all your invaluable help!
Get well soon Tommy[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MADBOXER - THE SUBARU ENGINED MOTORCYCLE

https://youtu.be/GnDAkIsAFZw

Traditionally, if you wanted a boxer setup in a motorcycle you'd need to hand over your money to BMW for one of their flat twins.

Kiwis are an innovative bunch and seem to plough their own furrow where technology is concerned. Just look at John Britten and Burt Munro for proof of that.

The story of The MadBoxer started in 2009 when a designer named Ian McElroy fired up some CAD software to see if Subaru's 2.5 litre flat-four would fit in a bike. It would, and the idea gained popularity. It took a toolmaker from New Zealand to actually put the project into action. Marcel van Hooijdonk laid the parts he needed out in front of him and realised the project was possible.

The WRX STI engine was mated to a two-speed auto box with hand controls up on the bars, and various parts were borrowed from Buell, whilst most were fashioned by Marcel himself. He said the most complex aspect was building the steering assembly from scratch and having it approved by NZ authorities for road use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/17...ds=impreza&dpPl=1&dpID=516L8JMLY3L&ref=plSrch

207d9f9b9d0c5c1d5c17bc81da265821.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This image of the 2015 Subaru WRX Concept has been leaked to rave reviews.

Taking styling cues from their BRZ sports car and recent Viziv SUV concept (along with some hints of Audi, Mercedes and BMW), the tough-looking four-door sports a super-sleek roofline and very wide track, while the large bonnet scoop hints at a turbocharged FA 2.0-litre boxer four-cylinder under the bonnet. The big news so far is that the WRX will become a standalone model, outside the Impreza range, as Nissan did with the new GT-R.

NEWS: Honda to debut S2000-esque concept at Tokyo Motor Show

Honda has released a teaser image of an upcoming concept to be shown at the Tokyo Motor Show. Called the Honda Sport EV, it appears to be a sports coupe with rear-wheel-drive proportions, with a flowing hood similar to that of the dearly departed S2000.*

Earlier this year, Japanese magazine*Holiday Auto*reported*a rumor that Honda would unveil an S2000 successor at the biennial motor show. This looks like it could be it, at least in spirit. Honda has said the Sport EV will be built on the same platform as the*Urban EV*unveiled in Frankfurt last month.

With an electric skateboard upon which different bodies could be dropped, there’s no reason why such a model couldn’t be rear-wheel-drive like the original S2000. In fact, that would also imply the Urban EV could be RWD too. From what can be seen in the image, the rear taillight treatment mirrors that of the Urban EV, a new common design cue for the marque, perhaps.

As we have said, the Tokyo Motor Show could be a revival of Nihon’s greatest, with concepts for theNissan Z, Toyota Supra, a Mazda RX sports car,Mitsubishi Pajero Evo, and the Honda S2000. We will be on hand on October 25 when the show begins to bring you the latest.

This is from scoobyclinic. Minus the usual self advertisement l thought it was an interesting read:

BHP…a perpetual quest

Harking back to 2004 we installed a Dyno Dynamics four-wheel-drive, rolling road at The Farm. As it was one of only a handful of professional chassis dynamometers in the UK at that time, some of the horsepower figures it gave us created upsets for a number of people.

Those Subaru and high performance car owners had been led to believe that their cars were more powerful than they really were and it took some time before the more jaded of them could accept that our dyno was 100% accurate. However, our results in competition more than proved the point. Whether on the drag strip, or the racing circuit, the claimed 300bhp+ cars were being whipped by those verified by Scoobyclinic as producing a mere 280bhp.

When we reflect on those aforementioned power outputs, I can still recall when we added just a few upgrades and mapped a 2001 STI model that was just out of warranty. We recorded a consistent and safe 340bhp. The cheers went up, flags were raised, forums buzzed and front page magazine covers headlined the phenomenal power potential. How refreshing those times were.

Yet, due to those remaining forums, a lesser number of magazines but the persistent clamour of social media, the new 350bhp is now a crazy 500 to 550bhp and there is scarcely a week passes when we are not receiving telephone calls, or e-mails, requesting the quoted power upgrades. Many of them want 400, around 500, or even 550bhp. Sadly, these astronomical figures are poles-apart on the costs front, although some magazine editors, forum organisers and inevitable social media participants continue to prime unsuspecting customers into believing that, to reach those returns, we tuners simply ‘turn up the wick a little bit’, a factor perpetrated by TV commentators, who simply do not comprehend how incorrect they are.

We receive a lot of queries from owners with 2.5-litre Boxer engines, all of which require forged pistons as a baseline starting point, to which need to be factored in uprated head gaskets and ARP head studs. Original equipment con-rods are good for 400bhp, while the standard STI top-mount intercooler can handle roughly 400bhp. Once the stock ECU has been remapped and a few other upgrades, such as a larger turbocharger, inlet pipe, cold air feed, headers and up-pipe, injectors and fuel pump have been installed, around 400bhp is achievable. However, hike-up the power from a moderate 400bhp to maybe 500, or 550bhp, and the on-cost can increase to comfortably north of an additional £10,000, although it can cost considerably more…

Allow me to explain: if you want the engine to last and keep on giving all the way to producing in excess of 400bhp, its block will need to be strengthened. From experience, we have run over 450bhp on those engines but, after a while, the cylinder liners ‘went oval’. This led us to advise a CDB conversion, which also future-proofs the work we carry out for the owners, whose minds are set on ‘around 500bhp, or thereabouts’. Just to get there, the engine will need uprated con-rods, bearings, preferably a larger oil pump, a Front-Mounted Intercooler, parallel fuel rails, oil cooler, oil catch-can and a decent ECU, such as a Syvecs device, just to manage it all.

Bear in mind that, with the Syvecs ECU, a 4.0-bar map sensor is required, complete with a wide-band lambda and loom, as well as 3-port EBCS and (highly recommended) sensors to monitor both oil temperature and pressure, while fuel pressure and temperature need to be streamed into the Syvecs, which is programmed to respond to any changes, introducing rev-limits, should any of the parameters set be over, or under-shot. In fact, a complete loss of oil pressure would introduce an engine ‘cut’, in the process saving a very expensive engine rebuild.

Hopefully, you can now understand precisely where the extra money is invested.

It amazes me that, even after all these years, how misinformed are some aspects of the performance car community. Misled by magazines trying to create headlines and with little less than aimless gossip, claimed and unsubstantiated horsepower figures belong in ‘cloud-cuckooland’. 400bhp is steep enough in some respects but 500bhp is a mountain, while 550bhp demands a big budget. Our VF Racing/SCR Impreza runs a stunning 700bhp and it costs a lot of money to build and maintain it, with an engine refresh demanded every season…but that is for a motorsport application; a completely different world to fast road cars.

Naturally, we do receive a regular run of realistic requests for 300 to 350bhp upgrades and, on the right car, it can be fairly straightforward, as demand has led to our development of SCR performance packs. Log onto our website and you can even select the right package for your budget: http://www.scoobyclinic.com/performancetuning.htm

Yet, all this talk of increasing engine power ignores conveniently the rest of the drivetrain. With gearboxes alone, we know that 2.0-litre cars fitted with five-speed units need modifying, as the power creeps upwards to 365bhp. The five-speed WRX boxes in ‘Hawkeye’ models are much stronger and will tolerate 420bhp. All six-speeders are very strong but it is easy to forget the clutch and, dependent on what is required with the car, drive-shafts can also become an issue. Extra power will demand enhanced braking performance and, if you can see a pattern occurring here, the bigger power cars need fuel swirl-pots and extra fuel pumps to be factored in, to slush-in the fuel required on full-chat, with the swirl-pot protecting against damaging fuel surge.

While we are on the subject, another vital aspect is the fuel itself and, if running a Syvecs ECU, exotic fuel cocktails can be run on switchable maps. Add in a ‘flex fuel sensor’ that monitors the fuel and streams information into the Syvecs and, with automatic adjustment for the fuel mix passing through the sensor, the possibilities are simply vast.

Yes. It is a roller-coaster. Yes, it is exceedingly emotive. However, the tuning business is not a game. If you desire an ultimate engine, then we have the expertise at The Farm to produce it, backed-up comprehensively by our Research and Development department and almost thirty years of winning trophies around the world. I do not want to put you off engine tuning but I do urge you to think very carefully about the information you are supplied with. All too often, spurious claims are made that take into account very few aspects of safety, or even dependability.

If you want to progress, do your research. Obtain as many professional views as you can, from the people that tune cars and race them. Gauge opinions. Do not simply delve into an unspecified pit that swallows up your budget and leaves you stranded at the roadside, tearful and penniless. To tune and tune properly demands a very deep understanding that very few printed titles and, sadly, some ‘noises’ on the Internet can provide. Go to the people that know. Clinical Performance and Scoobyclinic are ‘in the know’. Ask us. We shall tell you in an informed manner.

Good read , I'm no expert but surely most lads who do any research know what's involved if chasing huge BHP. Do some people think 500 bhp is possible without spending thousands,?

In the real world for a normal street car 280-350 ish bhp is more than enough imo

Back