Pads for 4 pots

gseco

Sunday Drivers
Hi,

Looking to change out the pads on my wrx. I have dimpled and grooved disks on it. Any recommendations on what pads to go for? They're currently oem pads. Is like to upgrade to something a little better, I won't be doing any track days so just something a bit better for some spirited driving every now and again.

Cheers
Gary

For a level above oem at reasonable price we do project mu ns400 for €119.50.

b220c6383ca5a29dfef6b424b017fa0d.jpg

Would these be much better performing than oem pads? Has anyone else ran them got any experiences with them?

I might take a set towards the end of the month after payday! How much is P&P Dave?

When I ran 4 pots I always ran standard pads for normal road use as. the price of the up rated pads from the standard pads was never worth it , unless you were Looking to do a track day or something . Standard mintex pads are probley around 35/50 euros a set in any motor factors :thumbsup:

I've no experience with the pads Dave suggested.
@Dave: how do they compared to EBC Yellows if you do not mind me asking?

In general Joe is on the money though with regards predominant road-use and pad choice.

PAGID are also very good (at least oem quality) at around the same price as the Mintex.

I do run uprated EBC Yellows with standard discs (good quality) on my Hawk STI and find get a bit better consistency when braking hard for prolonged times in the mountains (standard discs wouldn't shed temps as fast or allow for gas expansion at the pad/disc surface) and hence do see a good improvement by running an upgraded pad with a good friction coefficient when hotter but still close to oem level when cold.
Before that I ran PAGIDs and they were good too with a better initial bite than the EBC Yellows (wouldn't bother with any of the other EBC lines as found them disappointing in a roadcar).

On my Blob WRX I ran Mintex, PAGIDs and OEM - all with standard discs. Had Mintex discs once on that and wasn't happy with them as warped them within 500-1000km (initial set and a free replacement set). With other words, with oem level pads the Mintex discs gave up and warped before the pads presented a problem.

Unless you do a lot of (semi) regular prolonged braking (daily mountain drive perhaps) you're better off with a pad that works best from cold. With normal road use 95% of the time your brakes are cold when braking and hence you need a pad that performs best when cold. The discs you have would give you a little headroom for higher temp use anyway so it's unlikely that even a little spirited driving would see any major degradation in performance on a standard OEM quality pad.

If you decided to start doing trackdays, or serious mountain runs, then maybe consider a pad upgrade.

Last edited:
Pagid also in stock.

OP i took it as looking for a slight jump up from oem as i read i first post.

The the Project Mu 400 i believe slot in nicely in between oem and the pads that jump into €175-275 range.

@keadeen & scoobysub- Cheers for that informative post. That cleared up most of my questions I had anyway. I think I'll have a look into going for the Pagid pads. it seems like I wouldn't really have the need for anything above that at the moment. Maybe in the future if I decide to do some trackdays I'll look into something like the yellowstuff.

@dave- what price are the pagid pads delivered?

Back