Honda integra type r race car

RS-RA

Petrolheads
i bought this five years ago, when i viewed the car it had all the right bits and was in reasonable condition for a race car that had done a few seasons racing. being a race car there is not much options for a test drive, and unfortunately first time out i immediately noticed some major issues. the engine was a fresh build, but as it turned out had been specced wrong and the valves where bouning at high revs and the map was terrible. i swapped out the cams for a milder set and got it mapped to go out the the pheonix park races. it was then i found out the hard way that when the engine was built there where other mistakes made, two laps into qualifying a bigend let go.

the car sat idle till a few weeks before the next race, and as usual with limited time i realised i wouldn't be able to organise an engine build and run in etc in time. so onto donedeal, found a cheap but mechanically sound type r, and robbed the engine from it.
done the race in bishopscourt, the car went well, and was noticably more stable than the previous integra i had, most likely down to much better valving in the tein shocks. but being a stanard b series engine i was getting eaten alive on the straights.
shortly after, i done a trackday in mondello and it dropped a valve and destroyed the head and a piston. i decided then, i was going to bin the b18 engine and fit a k20 from the newwer model.

fast forward four years and i finally got time to get it finished, custom mounts made, taller final drive, custom gearing to suit the speeds i need, carbon clutch, really nice baffled sump, and a total rewire as the loom that was in it was butchered too many times.

i got it mapped and it made really nice figures for a stanard engine with bolt on mods.
first time out was on a really wet terrible day, had no wet tyres and spent most of the day sideways, but was delighted it ran ok.
shortly after i got the chance to go to an octane trackday in it, weather was great and the four year old slicks held out as good as can be expected. by the afternoon i was lapping quicker than my last integra ever did, absolutely delighted with it.

photo from when i picked it up

Attachments

• htc old pics 722.jpg
    htc old pics 722.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 132
march wasn't long coming around, and with work commitments i didn't get to the last few bits on the integra untill the day before. it was a far cry away from race ready as fire extinguisher, seat and belts were all out of date, plus wire in the new kill switch etc etc. anyway only got it loaded in the truck at near 1am. down to mondello for 7am, put door numbers on and it passed scrutiny with no issues.
the plan was to do 2-3 laps to bed in the new tyres during qualifying and sit till the end of qualifying and do one flying lap. Not having drove the national track in over five years, and never drove the car on the new bigger wheels it was a bit of a gamble, but i didn't want to ruin the new tyres by overheating them too soon. done the warm up, waited and headed out for the one lap dash. Got down as far as turn three and someone spun in front of me, i knew then the lap was gone. i continued back around to the straight and there were still a few seconds left on the clock, i made it across the line just in time and put in what felt like a reasonable lap, considering my glasses where steamed up and i was trying to look out over them.
when someone told me at had pole, i honestly thought it was a mistake. this was great, but no pressure! on pole, haven't raced in four years, on a track i haven't drove in five years, in a car i have never done a launch in.

Haven't seen this car yet, but iv no doubt that with you behind the ciaran it is quick car. When are you out again in it

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

:clap:Now this is going to be a good blog to watch good man Ciaran :thumbsup: looking forward to the updates:thumbsup:

You got it Started ????????

Good job nice read as above looking forward to following this????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you can figure a way to get it off the grid in front of Rabbittes RX7 it should be a walk in the park for you

It's a great car it's had it's ups and downs and a lot of late nights fingers crossed its a hassle free session.
Looking forward to seeing how it evolves over the year.
The next round should be very interesting.

Haven't seen this car yet, but iv no doubt that with you behind the ciaran it is quick car. When are you out again in it

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
i'll be at the octane day next week to test a new pedal box and some aero, then next month itcc bishopscourt

Great video was watching that race form the grandstand,very impressive drive[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using my finger

Back