ABS or no ABS on a race/track car?

Adrian Dunne

Octane Boostaholics
Hi lads move this if it's in the wrong spot,just looking for opinions on having ABS in a race car.Im seeing that some rather have no ABS and there are some that argue that it's an advantage to have it.A good point was made about the gravel trap,with ABS the wheels may not lock up and dig in as it should but I have not yet experienced this myself lucky enough.
Anyway just looking for thoughts on the subject[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using my finger

Non works better but you need a good brake set up that gives constant feel so you know what your limits are on a dry track it will be way better on the wet track it it take a bit of getting use to to but worth a go I'd say.
it also weighs a bit :icon_grin: So less weight is a good thing :icon_grin:

Non works better but you need a good brake set up that gives constant feel so you know what your limits are on a dry track it will be way better on the wet track it it take a bit of getting use to to but worth a go I'd say.
it also weighs a bit :icon_grin: So less weight is a good thing :icon_grin:

My ABS sensor in the front is faulty but I'm getting a new one for the weekend.I don't want to strip it out now but maybe I'll look at doing it later in the year and fitting some bias valves.I thought the ABS always helped me on track as I would never lock the wheels up.Maybe it's somethings to think about[emoji848]cheers Joe[emoji106]

My ABS sensor in the front is faulty but I'm getting a new one for the weekend.I don't want to strip it out now but maybe I'll look at doing it later in the year and fitting some bias valves.I thought the ABS always helped me on track as I would never lock the wheels up.Maybe it's somethings to think about[emoji848]cheers Joe[emoji106]

Ya could do,might try it for the crack at the club track day just too see.

I'd say talk to ciaran on here and see what he says but I would always presume it would be better without abs and have a controller in car for set up

I'd say talk to ciaran on here and see what he says but I would always presume it would be better without abs and have a controller in car for set up

Yes Ciaran would know he is well seasoned,if any advantage can be got from getting rid of it I will.Just could never understand how it's a disadvantage having it[emoji848]

Wouldn't stop as quickly with ABS, even in the dry... with other words you can brake later without ABS.

The bias valve does help "tune" the best balance to max brake grip (before lock up).
I've found on the rally car though that once valve is set to the optimal balance for the car that I do not really touch it after though, whereas I know others who are always changing it.

Although you have "more braking power" without ABS you need to understand that if you hit debris or water on the track that your wheels will lock up and hence the driver needs to "pump" the brakes - or get off them depending on speed - in order to be able to steer the car.

Wouldn't stop as quickly with ABS, even in the dry... with other words you can brake later without ABS.

The bias valve does help "tune" the best balance to max brake grip (before lock up).
I've found on the rally car though that once valve is set to the optimal balance for the car that I do not really touch it after though, whereas I know others who are always changing it.

Although you have "more braking power" without ABS you need to understand that if you hit debris or water on the track that your wheels will lock up and hence the driver needs to "pump" the brakes - or get off them depending on speed - in order to be able to steer the car.

I might look at doing a non ABS setup proper before next season so I'll have some time for testing and getting use to it.Im sure just disconnecting the ABS pump would still not give the same feel as the proper replumb job with the bias valve.At the moment the Saxo is impressive on the brakes and in my first race I was out breaking most cars with the non ABS setup.Thats really why I'm asking the question maybe it could be better and I'll never know until I give it a go.
It sure looks like everyone so far is in favour of not using ABS so that's enough for me to give this some serious thought.
Thanks lads[emoji106]

i have no abs on the integra, for the simple reason, the factory abs is too sensitive for the slicks i run and the way i drive. basically the abs bleeds pressure at the tiniest lock of a wheel. On the m3 track car i have abs on slicks, and even when i build it into a race car i'll keep it. reason being, it has a more modern bosch abs. i've reprogrammed the abs to allow a slight lockup and not to bleed the pressue so quickly. it works really well, would be a huge advantage in the wet.

the 306 track car i had, had abs on it. it worked reasonably well because i only ever had half knackered tyres on it. when it became a race car the abs was ditched and a prop valve installed. could brake later with no abs, but you have to spend a bit of time setting up the bias, and get a feel for lockups.

there is a rotating type prop valve in the integra, i'll be changing it for a lver type one. as there are small advantages to be got for having more rear bias in some corners. the reason for the lever type is because its easier to adjust on the move. rear bias is great for turn one, but you wouldn't want it on turn three for example, where there is a good chance you'll end up spinning round.

i have no abs on the integra, for the simple reason, the factory abs is too sensitive for the slicks i run and the way i drive. basically the abs bleeds pressure at the tiniest lock of a wheel. On the m3 track car i have abs on slicks, and even when i build it into a race car i'll keep it. reason being, it has a more modern bosch abs. i've reprogrammed the abs to allow a slight lockup and not to bleed the pressue so quickly. it works really well, would be a huge advantage in the wet.

the 306 track car i had, had abs on it. it worked reasonably well because i only ever had half knackered tyres on it. when it became a race car the abs was ditched and a prop valve installed. could brake later with no abs, but you have to spend a bit of time setting up the bias, and get a feel for lockups.

there is a rotating type prop valve in the integra, i'll be changing it for a lver type one. as there are small advantages to be got for having more rear bias in some corners. the reason for the lever type is because its easier to adjust on the move. rear bias is great for turn one, but you wouldn't want it on turn three for example, where there is a good chance you'll end up spinning round.

Nice one that's some great info there if I do go down the road of stripping the ABS for gains next year,depending on what I plan to do with the Saxo next year.But for now like you said with the BMW it's works,I'll have to run mid level tyres to control my pace with the barrier time so maybe it's no harm having the ABS.
It's not sensitive and rare u feel it engage at all only sometimes deep into turn 1.
Thanks for the advice[emoji106][emoji106]

I'll just continue to stand up on the middle peddle and let it sort itself out[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using my finger

Back