Electric gates!

MARTINGTI

Octane Boostaholics
Any electricians on here???? Basically my electric gates have started opening and closing of there own free will, that or else a ghost is doing it! There fitted close to 10 years and never had an issue with them before. They still work perfect, open and close when you drive up to them, keypad, button inside, remotes, all working fine. But they open randomly throughout the day. Just wondering if there is any thing simple I can do myself before calling in a sparks....

Two people I know over the past year with same issue...

One was quite paranoid as started happening after he was broken into (they climbed the gate and damaged door, made a mess of the house, but didn't really take anything bar about €100 in change lying around)... as the gate started acting up after he was afraid they had messed with the system - but was all coincidence.

1) switch broken that senses if something is stuck between the gates (so it knows to open again and not crush whatever is stuck)

2) damp got in and wiring corroded... simple enough fix to terminate wiring again and properly water proof all fixtures

As always Keadeen your a world of information. Much appreciated! ????. I'll give a look now and see, with all the rain this year I'll try for moisture first I think.

The parents had simular issue over this winter . Sometimes gate would close 90% of the way and other times would open randomly .turned out to be a perished seal on the motor casing allowing moisture in and shorting the switch. Turned out to be a nightmare to fix as the seals and the motors were discontinued (fitted 15 years )
Ended up replacing the motors in the end .

Back