Any handy tradesmen on here sparks, heating, windows

Cheers for everything so far lads.

Hopefully have heating sorted without ripping old system out gun barrel seems in great nick no leaks staining.

Windows don't need to be replaced either as they are in fact double glazed already.

The thing I still need is the full rewire. Having to have it certified is the biggest pain, as id know quite a few handy sparks. Anyone actually a sparks here or had a wiring job dene in the last while?

I'm a carpenter if you need any work done btw. Better to get a certified sparks to to the house man a lot of chances out there

I'm an electrician Dave and the way things are gone now nearly all electrical work needs to be certified.So a rewire would really need to be certified as I'm sure,if it's an old house the meter is probably inside and would need to be relocated,also the meter supply cable or rising mains is normally about half the size it should be and will need to be upgraded.Meter relocation alone needs a cert for the ESB and its around 500 euro for the ESB to relocate from what I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using my finger

Bryan I may need your help modifying a fitted kitchen I got from my parents into the new place. I was told it's not possible but I think the guy was being lazy.

And Adrian I imagine it needs a lot. There are still old 2 pin sockets in 2 of the bedrooms upstairs! How much you reckon the whole job would be?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bryan I may need your help modifying a fitted kitchen I got from my parents into the new place. I was told it's not possible but I think the guy was being lazy.

And Adrian I imagine it needs a lot. There are still old 2 pin sockets in 2 of the bedrooms upstairs! How much you reckon the whole job would be?

It's hard to know without seeing it Dave but most mid size rewired could be between around 4 or 5k time is always a killer with a rewire you tend to spend an extra day or two at it depending on the job.All electricians hate rewires[emoji27]

All depends on what way you wanted it laid out etc but a lot of it could be used I would suggest getting a new worktop but if it's going back in the same came it came out of the original house it would work yea

Regarding the kitchen he probley wasn't intrested in fitting it as regard to giving a price on fitting it as its time consuming when second hand that someone else took out . It's really hard to know how long it's going to take might go well and be out in a day might go bad and be there for 3 days.
So be Easier to price on daywork but beware Of anyone you don't know well or trust on day work as it can get tricky and end up costing more :thumbsup:

Yeah that's my main concern, getting someone in to do it and them taking the p*ss and charging a fortune.

The kitchen defo just needs an independent opinion, as in if its worth it or not. We are waiting on herself mate to come out but he is "busy" a lot of the time.

The rewire is more complicated, theres a mix of new and old wiring throughout the house, like its been modified through time. Some rooms have 3 pin plug sockets half way up the wall, other rooms have round 2 pin sockets. Theres a stair lift that was put in about 4 years ago and all its associated wiring. The fuse box is in the garage. Theres other stuff under the stairs.
Its a big house 3 up 3 down semi d, so im imagining il be selling a kidney to get it to a legal state now.

Keep the lift you know you and your bad back lol
Sounds like you have your hands full
Are you living in the house at the moment

Ha Keith I am tempted by that prospect. Were in the apartment until the 23rd then depending on the house we will be moving straight in or spending a while with our families until its habitable.
And yeah hands, plate and everything else is full!!

I have no handy man experience but congrats on the house Dave.

I hope to be in a similar situation next year but instead of buying we are building

Best of luck with it

If its a full rewire everything will have to be pulled and changed. Well at least that's the way I would want it done

You could remove the lift and sell to help funds if you don't need it

If its a full rewire everything will have to be pulled and changed. Well at least that's the way I would want it done

You could remove the lift and sell to help funds if you don't need it
Ah yeah I'd say it's a very invasive job and all the switches and sockets have to be a set heights to be legal and all. And yeah I will be selling it, might be a hard sell tho. Not sure many on here would be into it [emoji23]

Stair lift worth nothing. Scrap you might get a few € but still the hastle.
Rang all the company's that supply and they will take money off you to take it away.
Might of cost €3000+ and government paid for half but not worth anything now.
Insurance of a new install.
No one will stand over a second hand unit and install.

Only ones of value are just straight.
one with a turn have a bit of custom fab and won't match other stairs.
Lhs Rhs.
I stripped the 1 I had and left it outside the house and rang the scrap man.

Well mines straight but as for the rest, it sounds about right

Back