My 2003 T-Sport Celica

Devastated!! Won't have the oil cooler fitted for Friday. Wrong pipes came, won't join up! Ah well!

I don't run one at all there over rated and too heavy[emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using my finger

Ah yea to be honest I really should fit one,my cooling system works as an oil cooler I'm not sure it's a great job.They look cool too[emoji106]

What a great day that was on Friday. And I cant even begin to describe what a baptism of fire it was! Holy sh*t! I don’t know where to even start or where im heading from here.

I’ll start with myself. I totally loved it, even though I was as slow as a wet week out there. On my first few runs there were times coming into crests that I didn’t know if the track was going left or right over the crest!!! At that stage I could have said oh to hell with this and decided it wasn’t for me. But I plugged away and gradually started to learn the track. At least now I know the general lay out of it! But as for lines, forget about it! Hoping for the best is all I was doing. Even at times I was tucking in behind lads trying to follow there line, but sure a few corners and they were gone. It was fairly obvious too that the car, in its standard form was well out of its depth.

In relation to the car I have to say it ran absolutely perfect. Never missed a beat in the 80 miles I clocked up. But….. And it’s a big but….. It needs a lot of work to be competing with you guys! The tyres were a joke, just sliding all over the place, try and get the power down coming out of a corner and all you get is a ball of wheel spin. I was very conscious too of that happening as it was inclined to fly up into the red on wheel spin and even Toyota say if you want to shatter an oil pump that’s the way to do it! The brakes I was complaining about a bit early on as I had some smoke from them after a few laps, but the more I kept going they never faded. I did notice as the day went on the pedal got longer but im thinking that could be just down to wear on the pads….

Anyway im at a cross roads and looking for advice, lots of advice…. Do I tip away as is, do a few days with the car standard and put up with it because its still good fun. Do I make a few changes and see if that improves things. Or do I go nuts, strip it out, do suspension, brakes, tyres etc and make a real track car out of it!

I know what I want to do, its obvious. Go the whole hog but I need to consider a few things. One big thing being cost. I had a quick read over Adrian’s Saxo blog last night. Savage, savage, savage car by the way lad! But my god the work that went into it was unreal. Even when he bought it there was a good few bits done to it where im starting from scratch. Not even an induction kit or de catted exhaust! And, I will have to pay labour for all bits needed doing. I can do oil changes, even a bit with brakes but changing the likes of suspension etc is beyond me.

So someone guide me…. What would I need to do to get somewhere even near a respectable track car. I was tempted too just strip it out, buy sticky tyres and try that…. But I don’t know would it make enough of a difference without going the whole hog…. Adrian even changed cams etc and fook like, its massive work, and would cost me a fortune to do. I just don’t know!!!

Anyway all opinions and contributions greatly accepted!

Oh ya, if I do go again, I need lessons out there too. I'm just chancing my arm out there as is....

Last edited:
Just do good tyres Toyo 888 or the like and brake pads for the moment like ferodo ds 2500 Martin and if the budget allowed coilovers and plough on.

Your car is a reliable package so just get out and enjoy without breaking d bank.that's what I did and are doing with my soon to be on d road type r

And as they say practice makes perfect????

I'd strip it out get a set of carbon Lorain pads and toyo888 tyres
That will see a huge difference
Next would be shocks but expensive
You might get something from eBay.
Track time is the key the more you get the more confident you get the more you push the car.

Also jumping in with lads is a huge help just sit in and try take in some of what they are doing
Learn it corner by corner
I'm in the same boat as you
I found jumping in with ciaran one of the best things
Tells you what gear braking points track position and over the day just practice that corner get it right and move on to the next.

Ha you have been bitten by bug Martin[emoji23]great to hear you enjoyed the day the car did look good out there and as it stands with practice you would be pulling lumps out of your lap times.But as the lads said I'd be stripping that car to make it as light as possible,weight effect everything brakes,handling and speed so it's s very cheap way to make a huge difference.Id also fit good pads and discs I use Carbon Lorraine dc5+ and there mega pads,also chance all your fluid for something like AP racing 5.1 that won't boil on you and that should help that pedal travel.I used a set of second hand Yokahama ADO8,s last year and they were great value for money and had a nice bit of grip,but I hear the new ADO8R is better again.Do these small changes and drive as much as you can because I have learnt and was well advised that spending money on track time and enjoying the car is the best way to learn,Make small changes and keep progressing you and the car.I started doing 2:18 / 2:20 and was delighted doing it but in a little over a year got them times down to 2:06,s without spending crazy money and with 140 bhp so it's not all about power,get the simple things right and drive drive drive[emoji1][emoji1][emoji469]

Great to hear you enjoyed it Martin, I'd also agree with the lads, I would strip it out and fit tyres and brakes that alone along with more seat time will see it being very quick around there

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Great to hear you enjoyed it :clap: it really depends what you want from the car or track day . We all want to go faster on track but no matter what car you have there's always someone faster out there or someone with more talent Who will be quicker in a slower car.

To be honest I'd sell the Toyota and buy something that's all ready done unless you can get stuck into the celica Yourself and learn stuff along The way as we all have to start somewhere . Otherwise it will cost you a lot of money if you have to start paying lads for Shocks , fluids , bushings etc etc .

If if your not worried about times stick with the Toyota and learn as you go along up will be a great learning curve on fixing stuff and driving as it's not all about power :thumbsup:

Hi Martin, mondello have track day training days, I would recommend you give it a go, I found it very helpful for learning the line of the track. The track felt wider once I knew where to brake and turn, it's a great confidence booster :thumbsup:

Back