Octane boosters

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Can you use the same boosters like millers, Lucas or NF in normally aspirated cars to increase the octane rating a bit or it only really works on turbo cars? Audi is supposed to run on 97 but only getting the 95 crap, would be interesting to see if booster makes any difference

Don't think the boosters make much difference to the n/a cars

Jesus lads, You haven't been to Poland :)

Octane boosters should take effect on every car whether it is turbo or N/A
Although the new car ecus are more flexible and can "adjust" a bit better than the older ones

Jesus lads, You haven't been to Poland :)

Octane boosters should take effect on every car whether it is turbo or N/A
Although the new car ecus are more flexible and can "adjust" a bit better than the older ones

ONLY if it was meant to run on higher octane than what we get on the forecourts here in Ireland.
A car originally mapped (oem stock or custom makes no difference) for RON92-95 will NOT see an increase in power if you dose it with octane booster... only cars meant to get above the octane we get at the pumps will see an improvement in power - and safer running - if you put in booster.

ONLY if it was meant to run on higher octane than what we get on the forecourts here in Ireland.
A car originally mapped (oem stock or custom makes no difference) for RON92-95 will NOT see an increase in power if you dose it with octane booster... only cars meant to get above the octane we get at the pumps will see an improvement in power - and safer running - if you put in booster.
That's what I'm hoping for. Supposed to run it on the ol' 97 so I thought booster should help bring it closer to that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's what I'm hoping for. Supposed to run it on the ol' 97 so I thought booster should help bring it closer to that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, if it is meant to get RON97 then you will see an improvement... will run smoother and will be a little more rev-happy etc.

To get the benefit though you need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes (press brakes to drain any residual current after battery disconnect - wait five min and reconnect battery)... that will clear the temporary tables in the ECU regarding the timing it has pulled to allow for the poorer fuel grade. Without the reset it could take a while to see the power from the added octane.

I think on these modern ecu it will adapt after each journey
so possiblly go for a short drive
then on the next drive will be performing correctlly would save you disconnecting the battery etc.
Just at a guess :dontknow:

Alot of the guys on the M3 forum were using booster,
Joe power even recommended it when I was enquiring about a remap. N/a do benefit from booster too.

The nf is not as freely available compared to the Millers cvl stuff. I wonder which works out cheaper say over 10 fills. It's an 80l tank I think! Maybe I should buy it by the box load!

Half a bottle of NF does more than a full bottle of Millers CVL Turbo. Ciaran was doing 5 bottles of NF for around €100. Cheapest I found for CVL Turbo was direct from Millers Ireland. Ask for the "motorsport discount" and you'll get 10 bottles for €110.

You could look in to bulk of ProBoost. Think Fuchs make it? Then again, if the car is being used daily, I'd go with buying a barrel of meth and run a small percentage per tank. It's around €1 a litre.

Half a bottle of NF does more than a full bottle of Millers CVL Turbo. Ciaran was doing 5 bottles of NF for around €100. Cheapest I found for CVL Turbo was direct from Millers Ireland. Ask for the "motorsport discount" and you'll get 10 bottles for €110.

You could look in to bulk of ProBoost. Think Fuchs make it? Then again, if the car is being used daily, I'd go with buying a barrel of meth and run a small percentage per tank. It's around €1 a litre.

Who's your meth dealer? :)

Who's your meth dealer? :)

I thought it seemed cheap when I read it but someone said they got it from a crowd in Cookstown. Only place I can find is CJ Motorsport and Tennents. The latter does a lot of different methanol products so depending on purity, it'd be possible.

Back