Dump Valve

Zheiko

Octane Boostaholics
So, I am playing with the idea of getting the dump valve, and did some research, and there are some ppl saying that it can actually damage the car permanently so much that its to go to rebuild of engine.

Whats the take of this? Why would manufacturers make something that causes the car to go this bad after use? Would not that be only case if something done improperly?

The biggest concern made was, that MAF calculates air required, that air gets out from the engine, but MAF, since it was calculated, still floods same amount of fuel as if the air was there.

Well, please, prove me wrong, but according to my limited knowledge, the air that is being recirculated does not need to be counted, because if I dont push the throttle right away, it will not make its way into the engine anyways, or am I being wrong here?

Also, does the car need to be mapped for it, or can I just throw it right there?

wont blow your engine up
well at least mine never blew up
car runs better without it or any dump valve unless big power cars i think
but they sound gread when you havent had one before
eventually it gets tiresome and you start to feel like a bit of a tit with it on so you downgrade to a quietrer one and then or revert to none at all
that would be my experience
ill probably buy one again as the kids would love the sound of it

The biggest concern made was, that MAF calculates air required, that air gets out from the engine, but MAF, since it was calculated, still floods same amount of fuel as if the air was there.

Well, please, prove me wrong, but according to my limited knowledge, the air that is being recirculated does not need to be counted, because if I dont push the throttle right away, it will not make its way into the engine anyways, or am I being wrong here?

It's not entirely just Internet talk.. Just a bit of logic and understanding how engine management works.

On a MAF system, all the air that enters the engine will travel through the MAF to be measured for the engine management to work out how much fuel is needed for the combustion process. When you lift off and the pressurised air back up against the back of the throttle plate, the dump valve, (on a standard recirculating system), will dump it back into the intake system, so the same total volume of air that the MAF has measured remains within the system and will still be consumed by the engine. Fitting an externally venting dump valve, or a vent to atmosphere, (VTA), valve will cause a number of problems when you lift off and general engine running, as that dumped air has been measured by the MAF, but is then not used by the engine, although it expects it.

On MAF-less system, VTA will not affect anything at all really.
In my Type-R after going MAFLess, I deleted the valve altogether. Most rally cars run that way. It isn't recommended on the VF turbos in general, as it puts additional strain on them, and these turbos are prone to develop a play on the shaft.. but I really wanted the characteristic WRC flutter.. :)

Currently I'm running HKS SSQV, (VTA) as after some testing, I found out that the engine is responding much better.

From the VTA types of dump valves , I would recommend HKS SSQV (but the genuine one, since there are many fakes on the market), also Forge and Turbosmart have good opinions among mappers.

For MAF based systems I would try Forge recirc type, or just leave the standard one (which is quite good actually)

Also, does the car need to be mapped for it, or can I just throw it right there?

No change of map needed. Just Plug n Play ;)

Hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
Back