De-cat vs hi flow cat vs stock cat on a daily

Do what Charles mentioned but put it in a centre section
so it can be easily changed over for wichever setup you want without going near turbo bolts etc.
best of both worlds

Do what Charles mentioned but put it in a centre section
so it can be easily changed over for wichever setup you want without going near turbo bolts etc.
best of both worlds

Will that work ok Colm?

What I mean is - will there be enough heat in the centre section for the cat to function properly (seeing it will be only cat)?

If close to the downpipe side, it will work. The BE5 legacy B4's used to pass by just popping in the standard centre section every year for the NCT while keeping decat on the primary downpipe. Driveway job with a rachet set to change that way as opposed to needing a mechanic and ramp to take the downpipe off.

Still less hassle to have to do nothing at all though, ha

I think so Charles as it has been done before on here a old Member Richard.D took my old mid section (as the Irish late classics had a cat as standard in the centre section also aswell as the downpipe ) and fitted it to his car running this spec

Engine:

Rebuilt MY97 EJ25 Legacy donor bottom end (phase 1) blue printed and balanced as a rotating mass (excluding clutch plate only) to within 2 decimal points;
- Lateral Performance JE pistons/rods
- Roger Clark oil pump
- ARP head stud kit
- Porsche oil squirters
- ported phase 2 heads
- reversed flow matched (extrude Honed) inlet manifold with larger throttle body
- SX FPR (set for 3 bar) and 650cc injectors - custom parallel feed fuel rails
- High flow fuel pump fitted (in tank), with anti-surge mods
- Evo 6 FMIC
- iON P450 turbo (Garrett core) in twisted set-up with custom downpipe (allows for shortest possible intercooler pipe runs)
- air filter mounted in front wing
- charcoal emmissions cannister mounted in inner front wing
- oil catch tank
- Apexi AVCR boost controller (not connected currently, running 1 bar wastegate pressure only)
- Inlet manifold is using phenolic spacers (stops heat transfer from block to manifold)
- Gruppe-S exhaust headers
- aircon removed
- Evo DV
- Lancia alternator belt tensioner fitted (alternator relocated)

and passed the nct no problem with it fitted
he had to go that route as he couldnt get a downpipe at short notice due to the rotated turbo setup
so if that passed surely the other cars would ?

Link to thread with catted section that was used http://www.isdc.ie/forum/showthread...eza-headlights-for-NCT!!!&p=371185#post371185

Last edited:
@Keith: If you have a de-cat now... Have you considered going to Souhans and get them to weld in a Magnaflow sports cat? €300 fitted I was told. Am going to do this with my Cobra sports cat which died (cut Cobra one out and fit Magnaflow into the same downpipe). Most cost effective solution I found short of finding a good 2nd hand one.

Can't believe the cobra died so quick Charles .

I have yet to hear anything positive from someone actually in the motor trade about the quality of Souhans work.

I never had any issues with them anyway
my old Gti failed nct
drove up spurious cat section fitted in to original exhaust at a cost of 160 euro (not sure if old removed but would have been if below car)
done in the hour while i waited
brought to nct car passed

nissan Maxima rear box replaced with stainless steel one
sounded lovely 220 euro

waiting room tiny and hillarious
staff pretty nice
no complaints from both times i used them and sent a few there no problems for them either
cant be much that can be got wrong cutting a pipe and welding in a cat to be fair so wouldnt see it being a issue anyway
distance getting there would be the only thing

I think so Charles as it has been done before on here a old Member Richard.D took my old mid section (as the Irish late classics had a cat as standard in the centre section also aswell as the downpipe ) and fitted it to his car running this spec

Engine:

Rebuilt MY97 EJ25 Legacy donor bottom end (phase 1) blue printed and balanced as a rotating mass (excluding clutch plate only) to within 2 decimal points;
- Lateral Performance JE pistons/rods
- Roger Clark oil pump
- ARP head stud kit
- Porsche oil squirters
- ported phase 2 heads
- reversed flow matched (extrude Honed) inlet manifold with larger throttle body
- SX FPR (set for 3 bar) and 650cc injectors - custom parallel feed fuel rails
- High flow fuel pump fitted (in tank), with anti-surge mods
- Evo 6 FMIC
- iON P450 turbo (Garrett core) in twisted set-up with custom downpipe (allows for shortest possible intercooler pipe runs)
- air filter mounted in front wing
- charcoal emmissions cannister mounted in inner front wing
- oil catch tank
- Apexi AVCR boost controller (not connected currently, running 1 bar wastegate pressure only)
- Inlet manifold is using phenolic spacers (stops heat transfer from block to manifold)
- Gruppe-S exhaust headers
- aircon removed
- Evo DV
- Lancia alternator belt tensioner fitted (alternator relocated)

and passed the nct no problem with it fitted
he had to go that route as he couldnt get a downpipe at short notice due to the rotated turbo setup
so if that passed surely the other cars would ?

Link to thread with catted section that was used http://www.isdc.ie/forum/showthread...eza-headlights-for-NCT!!!&p=371185#post371185

Nice spec... and impressed it passed with just a centre section cat. Good to know though (was just wondering if it worked as wasn't sure).

Can't believe the cobra died so quick Charles .

Yeah Tommy... very annoyed as only found out it died 2 months after warranty expired.
Only put about 20k miles on it.

... Not sure what caused it... Lambda was also very tired and not reading correct.

So whether running too high EGTs, or whether maybe case of the Fuchs Silkolene I use has too much ZDDP (great to combat engine wear, but not so good for cats and lambda sensors)... who knows.

I've never heard before
but I know this time it did as was involved
so I'm guessing it could for the other cars
and if so I think is the best as you can run decay and just 15 minute jib swiping over centre sections every year could be lovable with quiet easily

de cat

I am in the same boat , have de cat on classic and the pops and bangs out of it are savage ! nct coming up in feb and was thinking along the lines of a sports cat or just getting standard centre cat fitted for nct ( if this works ) then pop the de cat back in .

As robbie said

A centre section on a B4 will pass an nct.

So a cat or a custom centre section with a cat. Or two. Will also pass.

Providing all else is in order

So resurrecting this thread.

I just spoke to the guys in icetronix and they're doing up some costing's for me, decat down pipe and a 400 cell bolt on high flow cat for the centre section. They have used this cat on evos, porsches and supras and are guaranteed to pass come NCT time.

They will email me pictures and prices for decat pipe only and both jobs. There obviously will be other things they will only be able to check once they're under the car, like lambda positions ect but it should be interesting to a few guys on here to see how much the job will cost.

Back