De-cat vs hi flow cat vs stock cat on a daily

DaveSleggy

So as the title says im considering my options on my bug sti. Its my daily and has a RCM induction kit (thats fairly loud as it is) and its going in for an Aungus remap in January.

So im considering my options, havnt really looked into cost and living with noise ect.

Just wondering what all you guys experiences/advise were.

Went the sports cat route myself . Car has no bother doing nct unlike decat that needs to be removed and cat reinstalled to pass. Obviously you don't get the power gaines from a sports cat compared to decat but it's a happy medium . Standard cat is restrictive and to get best out of remapping either sports or De cat is the way to go .

I'm in the same boat have the oe exhaust with cats in and full milltec decat but just don't want the bother of swapping. Milltec sports cat is crazy money so not sure what to do.
Maybe a group buy ......Was also thinking about getting a sports cat (about 200 Euro) and getting icetronix to weld it into the down pipe I have

I have a full H&S de-cat, sounds great etc but a pain in the hole come NCT time, which is yearly.....
it was on it when I got it, have the standard set up aswell.
if I was buying I would go sports cat. Best of both worlds.

Yeah icetronix are good lads i had them do an exhaust for me, is there much noise difference or fuel efficency effect going with map for the decat?

Your right keith a group buy could work if we get a few lads in on it.

Have a full 3 inch Rcm SS system with sports cat.

2 Nct no bother as above couldn't be arsed with swapping over every year and the hassle

Downside bloody expensive esp new.

Ull get a second hand prodrive sports cat to fit your second hand on Scoobynet handy enough but like all second hand bits taking a risk????

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Have full ss decat. Dont see the bid hassle with swapping . Loads of choice in the UK breakers.

Did the swapping for years on the other Subaru I had just as handy with the sports cat some of them only drop 5 to 8 bhp over the decat ones and with the nct every year now it's just handy
Poxy seized bolts in the turbo and all that crap just turned me towards the cats

I'd recommend sport cat as less hassle and the difference in power is negligible

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Cheers lads, and with the higher flow of the sports cats do you get a noticible increase in sound? Any pops and bangs on over run like a decat would have? And what would you say the total spend would be i.e buying and fitting ect

The sports cat is kind of half way between the decat and the original manufacturer's cat for sound, pops etc. if it's noise and drama your after you need a decat but it's just a pain come nct time.

Have a de cat on mine no pops or bangs I think that's down to the map I might be wrong

Some rasp off the milltec on full chat but it's a different noise from the twin scroll sounds more like a motorcycle on full chat

Yeah way i see it is decat would be class, but as its a daily and me leaving at 7am my neighbours mightnt see it as being "class" haha and pops and bangs are cool until a garda witnesses it and then its blue lights time.
From what you lads are saying i think sports cats are the way forward, one time install (hopefully) and frees up my engine to breath better.

Anyone got ballpark figures on them, id prob go used if i could get away with it?

Japspeed is probably the cheapest at 350 or so, I then it's upwards from there best bet it look on some scooby sites for a second hand one.

Forgot about japspeed cheers Dec
Was looking milltec as the rest of it is milltec but it is crazy crazy money

@Keith: If you have a de-cat now... Have you considered going to Souhans and get them to weld in a Magnaflow sports cat? €300 fitted I was told. Am going to do this with my Cobra sports cat which died (cut Cobra one out and fit Magnaflow into the same downpipe). Most cost effective solution I found short of finding a good 2nd hand one.

I was on to icetronix this morning so I'll see what they come back with
I think it's the way to go for me
Cheers for the heads up and I'll keep ya posted

Back