08 astra opc and 08 ford st

chris139ryan

Octane Boostaholics
So went to view an m3 on saturday and turned out to be a bad one. Only other one I was interested in sold the weekend so had to think of another car to suit me.

The above are the 2 I came up with followed by a golf gti.

Any body any experience with the opc and st if so what are your thoughts on them as I have never driven either ?

Anything to look out while on a test drive/inspecting the car.

Cheers

I've driven the ST and opc and have owned a gti and 2 M3s.
My advise would be to hold out for a nice m3.
Gti with a dsg box is an exceptional car for fast around town driving, but lacking a bit or power even with a remap.
Friends have had opc and STs , both fast but the foRd is a better driving car for backroads and far better sounding, especially with a remap and downpipe.

Totally agree there Tractor man

Dsg Gti a fine car

Opc a dog on anything but a smooth dry road

Quick car though

5cyl of St sounds mighty alright better all round car

Personaly wouldn't buy a M3 if something breaks it will be expensive plus I'd crash it[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think few moths ago there was a thread in the forum about opc vs. st
I remember scrawnban has/had an opc and was defending their honor
but majority were backing st

Low mileage Golf Gti DSG. Just make sure there is a service history with the gearbox. Best re sale value out of the 3 cars afterwards as well.

I think i started that thread, was in the same situation as yourself, minus the possibility of a m3 (couldnt justify tax)

General opinion is the opc is quick but cant handle, apparently thr 18 inch wheels help but 240 to the front wheels doesnt transfer well in that chassis

Golf while a good car is a DSG must, and finding one thats been serviced correctly with paperwork is like finding hens teeth, and come on your still driving a golf.

ST iv only heard good things about ford reliability, cheapish parts, lot of meat left on the bone powerwise, and that soundtrack. But 2.5 tax is rough and at the end of the day its FWD.

M3 is a lovely thing to look at but running costs even if it doesnt break are quite high, and that tax is a killer! And its gonna be a white xmas do you want 330 to the rears on snow?!

I ended up going for a SAAB before i picked up the bug. It was a 93 aero 210bhp 300Nm and it was lovely, but servicing and parts wernt great and I cant be dealing with FWD in this country on these roads.

Id recoment a nice hawk or a hatch wrx if youre looking.

Cheers lads

I have an st and a opc picked out fairly close to me in dealers to test drive the weekend so will see how that goes.

I have looked into a golf with the dsg but as said very hard to find one which has actually been serviced.

@Dave : I don't mind the tax as Im already in a 3.0 at the moment so an extra 300 quid a year isn't going to bother me too much if I get a car I love. I had Subaru's for about 10 years so really looking into something different. Getting a nice one is like anything in this country. Bloody hard.

I think I will keith. Could be a long time waiting for one which is the only downside. I would like a manual coupe with all the extras eg sat nav but finding one is proving very difficult as anyone with a good one is keeping them. Cant really blame them. The one I drove the weekend was a bad one but it was some car all the same.

Id say if youre happy with the running costs and can manage to root out a clean m3 then thats gonna be hard to beat if youre into that german 6 banger thing ;)

Id say if youre happy with the running costs and can manage to root out a clean m3 then thats gonna be hard to beat if youre into that german 6 banger thing ;)

If I never got into the german banger scene you wouldn't be driving your car now so be happy I did :p haha

If I never got into the german banger scene you wouldn't be driving your car now so be happy I did :p haha

I'd say he meant 6 cylinders..

Get an M3 they are a lovely car to drive.
It's a car everybody should own at some point.

The U.K. Is the only place to find a clean one.

By time you pay vrt, and sterling exchange rate, doesn't really make sense
Join up with bmwhaus and BMW driver, that's where I got my one

I'm on all the irish bmw forums but I just lurk haha.

I know of 2 crackers but the owners wont sell. I looked at the uk but works out way too expensive to bring one in and vrt it.

I'm actually looking forward to test driving the opc.

I agree Graham awesome car in every way. Its a must for me after a 10mins test drive

Opc Corsa a Savage car ????
f247674f272ca77301cd2cdca2d48bb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back