Subaru BRZ STI Considering Electric Turbocharger

scoobycolm

ISDC Club Member
Subaru-STI-Performance-Concept-Front-03.jpg

If the Subaru BRZ STI becomes a reality, it could be equipped with an electric turbocharger.

According to a recent report from Motoring, Subaru plans on expanding its STI lineup with additional models, ideally two per year. Yoshio Hirakawa, head of Subaru’s STI division, has suggested that four STI models are under consideration, including the highly-anticipated BRZ STI. He confirmed that his team is working on potential “advanced technology” to bring the BRZ STI to market with enhanced performance coming from an electric turbocharger.

For the most part, the Japanese automaker has ruled out the possibility of a conventional turbocharged BRZ model but an electric turbocharger wouldn’t have the need of an intercooler and all the associated piping. Although it is a sensitive subject according to Hirakawa, electric turbocharging “is under study for the STI model.”
Subaru previewed what a BRZ STI could look like earlier this year at the 2015 New York Auto Show and confirmed that an STI variant of sorts would eventually make its way to the U.S. That model might not be a full-blown BRZ STI but rather a BRZ Tuned by STI, similar to the BRZ tS that’s available in Japan.

Source http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/11/subaru-brz-sti-considering-electric-turbocharger.html

Attachments

• Subaru-STI-Performance-Concept-Front-03.jpg
    Subaru-STI-Performance-Concept-Front-03.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 44
WHy would you bother with an electric turbo? lads in the states are turboing away the traditional way, i have to imagine getting an electric turbo to spool to 100k is gonna be a much bigger deal than the traditional "pipework" fitting in.

no intercooler required so saves space
doesent a electric turbo not suffer lag and just come on :dontknow:

Unless the crazies in the STi division are gonna try and corner the market on ebay special electric turbos I'd say they're blowing smoke up our arses

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think I remember it being mentioned 3 years ago before
think for the Impreza
and still haven't seen it

Couple of other manufacturers also looking at electric turbos (e.g. Audi and Porsche recently in news).

Little or no heat... instant full pressure from 0rpm onwards... with other words power low down the rev range all the way to the redline.

A guy in the Dutch Subaru club is doing a R&D project together with one of the universities and turbo manufacturer. The Impreza "mule" had over 700bhp and 700Nm on a big Garrett and projected now at over 900bhp and mad torque of 940Nm (on the hybrid electric turbo compressor they are developing).

So a hybrid turbo set up essentially, I am all for advances in technology I really am, and can just about get on board with the current f1 cars (lifelong die hard f1 fan) but I think il be driving the bug with its old school whistles and flutters for a lot longer before I settle for a plastic engine covered modern engine bay with no soul.

*I think the pints have made me sentimental

So a hybrid turbo set up essentially, I am all for advances in technology I really am, and can just about get on board with the current f1 cars (lifelong die hard f1 fan) but I think il be driving the bug with its old school whistles and flutters for a lot longer before I settle for a plastic engine covered modern engine bay with no soul.

It's not the pints man its the Flat 4 that's got ya

Everything else except a V8 will seem boring after ????

who do you like/support in the F1 dave?

what you think of this season with the new engines?

If the Subaru BRZ STI becomes a reality, it could be equipped with an electric turbocharger.

According to a recent report from Motoring, Subaru plans on expanding its STI lineup with additional models, ideally two per year. Yoshio Hirakawa, head of Subaru’s STI division, has suggested that four STI models are under consideration, including the highly-anticipated BRZ STI. He confirmed that his team is working on potential “advanced technology” to bring the BRZ STI to market with enhanced performance coming from an electric turbocharger.

For the most part, the Japanese automaker has ruled out the possibility of a conventional turbocharged BRZ model but an electric turbocharger wouldn’t have the need of an intercooler and all the associated piping. Although it is a sensitive subject according to Hirakawa, electric turbocharging “is under study for the STI model.”
Subaru previewed what a BRZ STI could look like earlier this year at the 2015 New York Auto Show and confirmed that an STI variant of sorts would eventually make its way to the U.S. That model might not be a full-blown BRZ STI but rather a BRZ Tuned by STI, similar to the BRZ tS that’s available in Japan.

Source http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/11/subaru-brz-sti-considering-electric-turbocharger.html

now that I like, maybe without the rear wing but it looks great and if it gets this supercharger and the emissions are not to bad we could be looking at a winner over here.

now that I like, maybe without the rear wing but it looks great and if it gets this supercharger and the emissions are not to bad we could be looking at a winner over here.
Figures crossed Johnny????

Back