Tilers

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Few builders on here who will hopefully help, have 1 bathroom and 1 ensuite to be tiled floor only in the new house within the month.

I would say roughly 8 square metres at a guess. Could anyone tell me what's involved to do the job properly? Does a layer of plywood need to be laid first and then tiles on top or what's the correct way to do it?

I have no intention of attempting it myself, just want to be sure I'm paying for the right job. What should I expect to pay if I supply the tiles?

I used marine ply on the floors then big marble tiles and it has never moved its handy enough job to do if you have the right kit and take your time I did our3 bathroom and kitchen.
I loved doing it found it very satisfying

What thickness ply did you use Keith? And what's marine ply as opposed to regular ply, specifically for damp areas? What other tools would you need? I would love to attempt it myself but time is my biggest enemy so don't know if I could spend the time doing it when I might be spending as much on tools as just getting someone in to do it.

Thanks Colm, I'll pm him later if he hasn't seen this, doubt he'll be coming up from cork for a bathroom but advice would be good:))

Hi Rob
I just got a top notch job done which cost €1200 in labour and took 10 full working days.
A lot of different angles and bits of walls, blind stud wall with ledge at 120cm along one wall which has a 30 degree angle in it etc, window, walk in shower, tiled batch enclosure etc... so a complex enough job.

3.7m2 mosaic 1" square in 30x30cm mats (shower floor, steps and ledges)
43.5m2 wall tiles in 30x60cm tiles
5.5m2 in 60x60cm marble tiles (they took a long time as about 2.5cm thick and weigh a ton... and needed to be wet-sawed... and there was a lot of sawing needed due to all the odd angles and shapes in the room.

The guy spent about a day and a half measuring and working out exactly height of tiles and centred on window and door etc and marked it all out on the walls (and there are 13 different wall surfaces due to angled walls, ledges, etc and then there is the bath enclosure with a 30cm by 35cm step along the full length of the bath)... and still when you walk in now it still all looks symmetrical.

I did get a quote at just over 1/2 that price... from someone who is a pro tiler too and came recommended... but who would not have spent as much time on the symmetry, or on getting all the walls squared and levelled etc. Spending the extra was absolutely worth it when you see how it turned out. In the end still wasn't dear for 10 full days work I thought for someone who's a real craftsman.

BTW... most of my walls were plastered brickwork (badly out of square and with a huge kick towards the floor)... but there were some stud falls, enclosures and ledges built in to the room with wood. Make sure you spent the extra and get the full 1" thick Marine ply which is resistant to water for longevity... and in areas where there will always be a lot of water like the shower, bath enclosure etc... get that marine ply and then treat it with a shower tanking kit to ensure all will be good even in years to come.

My floor is concrete with underfloor heating poured in, so no wood on the floor for me. A previous house I rented had a huge bathroom and they only used a single layer of 2cm normal ply... it was a disaster. Too much flex and even with flexi-bond adhesive the tiles came lose within 2-3 months every time it was tiled. In the 4 years I lived there the room was retiled and grouted 5x. Also the boards got wet in between and warped because was normal ply and not marine ply. By rights they should have used two layers cross laid of the marine ply to make it rigid enough.

Hope the above helps with ideas, things to look out for etc.

1inch? Don't think I'd be able to open the door with that, never mind adding the tiles on top too?? Even without the door in the way, wouldn't that be a huge step up from the underlayed carpet?

Price seems more than reasonable for such a job, would have thought mine would be a morning job only so hopefully they'll go easy on me

I used 1/2 inch the jax door upstairs opens out so I just cut a step in the bottom of the door so it's flush on the inside and outside if you get me

Stick a pic up lol
I'll pop out Monday ....few cans of Dutch gold and we will have it up in an hour.....????

Good tip is get a stick and Mark the length of a tile on it so your not pricking around with tiles
I have a wet saw here and a few other bits if you need a lend

Cheers Keith, do you screw the plywood into the floorboards then to stop it from moving?

And did you cut the ply to size yourself? Does it need to be 1 or 2 larges pieces?

Yea hundreds of them, every few inches ya have to have one
Is your jax and bath and sink in and staying or are you changing them

This is a good one be jasus
Turn on me a and a few other members over something car related the dent eraser that is genuinely car related
And now your on about fcuking tillers this is good fair play rob one rule for you different for everyone else good one man fair play

Oh, now I remember, haha. That was hilarious... But I fail to see how your inability to recognise humour over a stupid thread has to do with looking for advice on how a job is done?

Now why don't you be good and head back over to your personal sales thread, i.e. what did you do to your car today, see if you can drum up more free business from the site

Last edited:
Yea hundreds of them, every few inches ya have to have one
Is your jax and bath and sink in and staying or are you changing them

They are newly in Keith, they're sitting on about a 1" platform until the tiles go in so that there's no need to move pipe fittings, etc.

1209.jpg

:multijump:

Don't screw the ply to the pipes under the floor boards Robbie . If you end up with a fountain in the bathroom Niamh will remove your balls very quickly .

It's a grand job to do though . Spend your time marking stuff out to have as little waste and cutting but still have some symmetry ya know . Best of luck with it

tile it yourself plenty of how too vids on youtube,use 6mm ply and screw every 4 inches...20 or 25mm screws will do the job...

Last edited:
Back